Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How You Can Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NightKrowe

04-06-2013

Many of you here may have joined the beta in order to play the new champions as they were released. Some may have joined so they could play champions before they bought them. Others may have joined with the interest of finding bugs and improving the game. I, sorry enough, was part of the former, but I didn't want to be.

So the first way I thought I (or anyone) could help out was to just play. Simply put, there are bugs in the game, and the more you play the higher your chance of finding one. Once you find a bug, share it on the forums so that we're made aware of it. If you want, you can even test it yourself and try to figure out what causes it and why it exists.

Second, just allow yourself to be available. You can find people who need help on the forums or in the game's Public Chat. Just being there to bounce ideas off of is enough, or you can help someone test out a bug they found. You don't even have to play!

Third, and this requires a bit more effort, is to playtest. This means playing, but actually paying attention to everything going on. Not just playing, but playing for a purpose, and then sharing your findings. You could play to test the meta, or how balanced a champion is. If someone says they're overpowered, find a counter or see if they even have one. Try out new builds and experiment with the way someone fits into the meta. Then, after you're done, share your findings. You could have mounds of data, or even just an opinion.

The PBE is a tool Riot gave us to allow us to contribute directly to the game. And just because that's not really the reason we got it, that doesn't mean we can't contribute in some small way. Always make sure you're playing to have fun, though. There's no fun in work, so if it starts to feel like that just take a break. And if you haven't gotten the chance to play the beta yet? Just sit tight, your chance will come. And now when it does, you'll know exactly how to play your part.

NightKrowe

04-06-2013

Bump

Zonacain

04-06-2013

This thread needs to be pinned.

NightKrowe

04-06-2013

Thanks. If there's anything else anyone can think to do, I'll add it to the post or something. Someone asked for help on the beta, so I figured others could use the information, as well.

NightKrowe

04-06-2013

Nothing? ._. I was expecting this to get a bit more feedback.

Trund1e

04-06-2013

It won't get any feedback if there's nothing wrong about it, do keep bumping it now and then tho.

Zonacain

04-06-2013

Quote:
NightKrowe:
Nothing? ._. I was expecting this to get a bit more feedback.

Upvoted and stated the need for a pin.
Not much else I can contribute.
You have all the bases covered.

NightKrowe

04-06-2013

Quote:
Zonacain:
Upvoted and stated the need for a pin.
Not much else I can contribute.
You have all the bases covered.

Your comment was appreciated, no doubt about that :P

NightKrowe

04-07-2013

I edited it. If you like or dislike the changes, leave a comment. I want to be as clear and concise as possible, so if I fail at that, do not be afraid to let me know.

Quote:
":
Honestly, I feel a little guilty for playing the PBE just for Lissandra (because I played with her twice and freaking fell in love), so I decided to stick around and do what I could to help. So there are a few different things you can do, like me, even if you don't want to sit there and test bugs all day.

The first thing you can do is just play. It might seem simple, because it is. There's a certain chance you'll find a bug just by playing, and by playing more, you're increasing your chance at finding that bug. Therefore, the more you play, the higher your chance of finding something wrong with the game. From there you can test it more yourself, share it with friends, or post it on the forums. Honestly, unless you know someone else will post it, or you've already seen it posted, it's a good idea to make a thread about it. You wouldn't want to go through the work of finding out how and why something went wrong and then not let anyone know about it.

The second thing you can do is just be available. Just by opening up the client and chatting in Public Chat 1, you're letting other people use you as a bouncing board. Maybe someone needs help testing a bug, and you don't mind being a particular champion for them. Maybe someone needs help finding the forum, and you happen to have the link. Seriously just sitting there can be a big help for others trying to do good. It helps to know a bit about the newest patches, but honestly just wanting to play with others is all you really need.

The third thing requires a little more effort, but not nearly as much actual talent or skill. Playtest. Playtesting means playing with the intent of testing. By that, I mean instead of finding bugs, you're trying to make sure the game is as balanced as it could possibly be. Is a particular champion overpowered? See if you can find a nice counter for them. Does a champion have a particular weakness? See if you can overcome it and make them better for it. Then, come to the forums and post your findings. You don't even have to go into detail, it could simply be your opinions on any given champion or the meta in general and you'd be contributing. Just playing and telling us how it went can help out a lot!

So just because you downloaded the PBE to play the new champion doesn't mean you have to keep it that way. Sure, you can still do that, but there's lots of other things you can do alongside that. But honestly, if you're not having fun while you're doing it, you're wasting your time. So do what you actually want to do, not something that feels like it's going to be work. And if you haven't gotten the chance to play the beta yet? Just sit tight, your chance will come. And when it does, you'll know exactly how to play your part.
Quote:
":
Many of you here may have joined the beta in order to play the new champions as they were released. Some may have joined so they could play champions before they bought them. Others may have joined with the interest of finding bugs and improving the game. I, sorry enough, was part of the former, but I didn't want to be.

So the first way I thought I (or anyone) could help out was to just play. Simply put, there are bugs in the game, and the more you play the higher your chance of finding one. Once you find a bug, share it on the forums so that we're made aware of it. If you want, you can even test it yourself and try to figure out what causes it and why it exists.

Second, just allow yourself to be available. You can find people who need help on the forums or in the game's Public Chat. Just being there to bounce ideas off of is enough, or you can help someone test out a bug they found. You don't even have to play!

Third, and this requires a bit more effort, is to playtest. This means playing, but actually paying attention to everything going on. Not just playing, but playing for a purpose, and then sharing your findings. You could play to test the meta, or how balanced a champion is. If someone says they're overpowered, find a counter or see if they even have one. Try out new builds and experiment with the way someone fits into the meta. Then, after you're done, share your findings. You could have mounds of data, or even just an opinion.

The PBE is a tool Riot gave us to allow us to contribute directly to the game. And just because that's not really the reason we got it, that doesn't mean we can't contribute in some small way. Always make sure you're playing to have fun, though. There's no fun in work, so if it starts to feel like that just take a break. And if you haven't gotten the chance to play the beta yet? Just sit tight, your chance will come. And now when it does, you'll know exactly how to play your part.

LordBones

04-07-2013

I love it. All new players to the pbe should be given a link to this