Looking to do a Proving Grounds Tournament.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

psychOOrange

04-05-2013

I just need some ideas of what you guys like to see in a Proving Grounds Tournament. If you guys could take some time to fill out the survey, that would help me get an idea of what people like to see/want to see. I want the community to be involved with the creation process of a tournament they want to be a part of.

The Survey is here

Zielmann

04-05-2013

Done.

Just make sure it's well-run, with set rules presented to everybody from the start. Particularly in terms of match scheduling. It's always difficult to handle scheduling for these kinds of tournaments.

psychOOrange

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
Done.

Just make sure it's well-run, with set rules presented to everybody from the start. Particularly in terms of match scheduling. It's always difficult to handle scheduling for these kinds of tournaments.
Understandable. We will take our time to produce a good 5v5 Proving Grounds Tournament. It will also give exposure to our clan. We dont want a tournament that everyone hates as it will bring bad publicity. Thats why we think the community should have a say it what will be presented/put into rules/how it will be run. We want to make something that is enjoyable for everyone participating.

and thank you.

GrosPigeon

04-06-2013

I hope we can have a draft tournament since those are practically never hosted and are most fit for competitive play.

Zielmann

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrosPigeon View Post
I hope we can have a draft tournament since those are practically never hosted and are most fit for competitive play.
Yet they have a much smaller base of players looking for them. If you want an ADAM tourney, go ahead and host one!

ArcHorizon

04-06-2013

I think that tournament-wise a Draft Mode tourney makes the most sense.
ARAM is fun, but its exactly that...random. Its really very difficult to test the skills of teams if they are using random comps. I'd be excited to see a draft tourney, I'm not certain I would be able to participate in one, but I would like to. Draft would allow for teams to actually have a tactical team setup for the map.

Zielmann

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcHorizon View Post
I think that tournament-wise a Draft Mode tourney makes the most sense.
ARAM is fun, but its exactly that...random. Its really very difficult to test the skills of teams if they are using random comps. I'd be excited to see a draft tourney, I'm not certain I would be able to participate in one, but I would like to. Draft would allow for teams to actually have a tactical team setup for the map.
Bo3 or Bo5. Problem solved. And those who sign up for an ARAM tourney should be fully aware of the chance they are taking upon entering. If you don't think it's 'fair', then don't join

ArcHorizon

04-06-2013

Quote:
Bo3 or Bo5. Problem solved. And those who sign up for an ARAM tourney should be fully aware of the chance they are taking upon entering. If you don't think it's 'fair', then don't join
I never said it wasn't 'fair' but I'm questioning just how well it will showcase a team's actually abilities. Even Bo3 and Bo5 don't really have enough matches. Thats potentially only 2/3 games. Random team comps can be all over the place, you just dont know if you will get a better/even team comp in such a small amount of matches.

I think you would probably need to play at least 10 games to reduce the effect of the randomness. This would cause long matches against the same opponents and would drastically increase the overall time of the tourney. Long tourney matches would cause the need for multiple days of playing (all weekend) or a smaller number of teams. I'm not sure how many teams there are for Proving Grounds out there, but I would like to see as many as possible.

Beravin

04-06-2013

Done. I voted for the tournament to be based on ARAM PG with no dodging allowed. However, to make it fair, it should not be single elimination. Lets face it, in ARAM some team comps are just better than others, and I'd hate to be eliminated from a tournament because the ARAM gods decided to frown on me or my team. But hey, that's just my point of view.

Also, a tournament with a poor quality steam / no commentary is no tournament at all imo.

GrosPigeon

04-06-2013

Quote:
It's random and there are ways to abuse the random algorithm (ARAM smurfs). Good game mode for having fun but very bad for tournaments imo.