Matchmaking in ARAM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cloudbat

04-04-2013

I dont see how it would be difficult to actually make a matchmaking ARAM. The biggest arguement I have seen lately is summoners making smurfs to only play the "High Tier" champs. Yes the random free characters of the week put a very slight damper on this, but its not much. Simple way I see to fix this (If matchmaking is in the future of ARAM which I see happening since RIOT made a map just for ARAM), for the ARAM gametype, put all champs in the random pool, not just the ones that you own. It lets summoners try new champs that they may not own or not have access to due to having a life, not to mention be exposed to different playstyles with all the different combinations of champs. Ive personally been playing since January 17th 2010, (Tri-turret dinger op.) and I only own 79 of the current 112 champs. Its possible to make this happen, but not sure if its the direction RIOT wants to take. And if this is something RIOT wants to do, someone or something is going to have to be done about dodging. I have waited in a lobby of 17 different sets of random champs because of dodgers.

Bensam123

04-04-2013

There are a lot of threads about dealing with matchmaking issues.

Kalarepa

04-05-2013

It's not difficult at all. But Riot, instead of simply making ARAM matchmaking, decided to:
- make whole new map
- release bunch of winter-based heroes
- rework few heroes to look more winter-based
- change the lore of few heroes to make it something in common with Freljord
- make the whole mysterious "journey to Freljord" thingy over the months
- finally, make ARAM matchmaking

And that takes time. Personally, I don't really like so many changes, because it's not always good. Look at Karma. All we asked for, was 3rd Mantra charge or slight change in her chain. Meanwhile Riot gave her new look and completely new kit, which people don't like.
I'm only afraid, that fps on the new ARAM map might go down, because of all the shiny effects.

Zielmann

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalarepa View Post
It's not difficult at all. But Riot, instead of simply making ARAM matchmaking, decided to:
- make whole new map
- release bunch of winter-based heroes
- rework few heroes to look more winter-based
- change the lore of few heroes to make it something in common with Freljord
- make the whole mysterious "journey to Freljord" thingy over the months
- finally, make ARAM matchmaking

And that takes time. Personally, I don't really like so many changes, because it's not always good. Look at Karma. All we asked for, was 3rd Mantra charge or slight change in her chain. Meanwhile Riot gave her new look and completely new kit, which people don't like.
I'm only afraid, that fps on the new ARAM map might go down, because of all the shiny effects.
Again, don't worry much about FPS. The map hasn't been optimized for lower-spec machines yet (Riot has stated this). Riot has a bunch of test machines of varying performance, and they will make sure that at some level of graphics settings, the map will be playable for everybody.

@OP: Keep up with the announcements from Riot, or at least read the threads here before posting.
If you're too lazy to find it, read here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3227822

LrdVprScrpn

04-05-2013

In OP's defense; there is no official announcement/sticky here in the ARAM forum. You know, the place where someone would logically look for information regarding ARAM.

Zielmann

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrdVprScrpn View Post
In OP's defense; there is no official announcement/sticky here in the ARAM forum. You know, the place where someone would logically look for information regarding ARAM.
Yeah, I do agree that it would have felt more appropriate to make the announcement in this board. Then just throw a post on the PBE forums to let those players know that the map was put on. There was a thread with a few red posts recently about how Riot communicates with the playerbase, but it didn't really take off as I'd hoped.

Cloudbat

04-05-2013

@Zielmann. Thank you for the official thread. I dont play PBE and knew of the new map, but did not know RIOT had posted on the matter of matchmaking. I just assumed anything ARAM related would be under the ARAM forums.

What is a Wolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-06-2013

OMG this thread is new and exiting!