I just realized why Trundle needed a lore change.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vongeo

04-05-2013

I just played a game as trundle and talked about how I was dead the whole game.

Holy Malevolence

04-05-2013

Riot.

Please.
Stahp.
I'm embarrassed for you.

Labcown

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironstylus View Post
it's funny. People consider me to be the crux of some grand clothification crusade to cover up naughty bits. Yes, i very much like girls in armor, and context dictating character. I want what's appropriate for that character, whether it be battle maiden or bombshell. Just wait until people see what happens when i get a relaunch involving a scantily clad champion. Context sometimes comes in large cup sizes.

EXTRA EXTRA, READ ALL ABOUT IT!

SIVIR TO BE BUSTIEST CHAMPION IN LEAGUE!

You heard it here first folks!

Phourc

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogz View Post
It's one thing I think Dota 2 does quite well.

Zapping an enemy and hearing your character comment on it is so satisfying.
Dunno, I tried playing dota 2, played against bots and had to listen to them automatically taunt me every time I died. Once I completed the game, I uninstalled cause really, I don't need *more* ****-talk from the internet.

Yes, I think character-specific dialog is really, really cool when done right. I do not, however, feel 'He had a shield and I killed him anyway! Dur hur har!' is the right way to do it.

Cynicatt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I personally would like us to pursue such interactions.
I would really so love to see you guys put in some interactions between Nasus and Renekton. Perhaps when Nasus gets his VU(Which I'm very much looking forward to). I love those two characters, and for being brothers they deserve to have some interaction.

Same with Lux and Garen, and Morgana and Kayle, I think.

BirriaBoy03

04-05-2013

so THIS THREAD is the reason why they havent patched the game yet lol

Astaare

04-05-2013

So does Riot even have any writers on staff anymore, or do they just assign the writing of lore to whoever got the best grade in high school English?

Kyrrion

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlySuicidal View Post
I'm gonna be frank though. For me the lore is part of the problem but not the problem. I don't care about his lore per se. It's interesting to read through, but it's not like it's shakespeare. Other trundle players feel different, and I can understand where they are coming from. This whole lore thing is a diversion from my actual gripe about it.

To me it's about the theme of the champ/kit. I liked the idea of running around on three limbs as a rabid troll who bites people and has walls of poop and makes wise cracks. This new thing is just replacing that with a lame 'smash smash' voiceover and an ice theme that I've already seen in a lot of other champs+skins. Plus his trololololol laugh is gone.

Sure, I get that people out there like the new trundle just fine. And people out there like teemo. Imagine your favorite champ being turned into teemo's voiceover/theme/laugh. How many of you would **** bricks?
I think you have a very good point here, but does keeping the original concept and story of Trundle intact help the value of his character overall? Like, it's what Runaan posted earlier:

Quote:
I'll have more coming on this soon enough, but yes, this is generally in line with some of the trouble we ran into with Trundle's old story. It felt complete--it was a full arc, any tie we could make between it and what we wanted to do with Trundle as a frost troll felt very arbitrary and band-aid plot point rather than meaningful development.
Is slapping a weak band-aid over the story to make Trundle relevant worth it? Isn't there a point where he just develops into a whole new character naturally and his original background and story are near meaningless? Like if they did give Trundle a reason to go into Frejlord, and he started developing as a character from there, would he still be the "original" Trundle or would he be a slightly different Trundle, that over time slowly but surely erodes away his original design making it irrelevant?

Chibodee Crocket

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaare View Post
So does Riot even have any writers on staff anymore, or do they just assign the writing of lore to whoever got the best grade in high school English?
Personally I believe Lima Beans' cat could write better lore, then again he is busy trying to find ways to break the servers ( his cat not Lima Beans himself)

Nitrocrisis

04-05-2013

Personally my concern is the loss of the old Trundle character, considering that with all honesty he's likely one of the if not THE most human character in the game. He had realistic concerns, dreams and reactions to the events surrounding his life, which also weren't on a grandiose scale like many other champions.

The thing is I'm about 80% sure I'm not alone in this, is that the new lore can be woven into his old lore so easily rather than being as it's currently written now a total retcon and changing of a dynamic and rounded character.

All that needs to be done to the new bio is add like an allusion to him being an outcast or last of his kind troll who joined another tribe with the intent of usurping leadership

This would even make sense considering his current characterization, he's lonely but he wants not only companionship but recognition and fame, combined with the fact that through his judgement he seems to have developed a more pragmatic personality he would naturally seek a leadership position and would be likely to use force or underhanded methods thus leading into his new lore.

All I really want is for the new Trundle to be Trundle, his past is his past it existed and has impact but doesn't define him entirely. To a newcomer and at a glance he's a neat character that embodies a familiar trope, to veteran lore lovers he's grown up from naive hopeful who got beaten which naturally transitions to cunning bloodthirsty leader which incidentally is yet another familiar trope.

Post's getting a bit long but I want to also state as long as a character exists and is alive at the end of a story he can be part of another story, A complete story doesn't prevent a character from being part of a new one nor does it prevent a character from developing further.