I just realized why Trundle needed a lore change.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyrrion

04-04-2013

His story was already complete.

Think about it. He is raised as the runt of the clan and is bullied. He takes the plague/curse for the entire tribe and gradually becomes an outcast. He comes to the League to find a cure for it, but as soon as he gets there the summoner's are just like "Yeah bro, we can do that easily. It's just that plague is pretty much the only thing keeping you alive.". So Trundle shrugs, keeps the plague/curse willingly and lets his old clan die out.

What more can he have done honestly? He's irrelevant to any political conflict (which is the basis for the League). He's got no where to go personally, in the end of his judgement he even says himself "It seems this is the 'cure' I was looking for after all.". What does the Cursed Troll do if he doesn't even consider himself cursed anymore? He's literally got no motivation for anything. He's only in the League because he's got nowhere else to go.

Edit- For other "completed champions".
Doesn't it suck that they have nothing to do? I would love to see Fizz take a pro-active role in the story. Same with Nami + Nautilus. Those three could all be related somehow. The thing that pulled Nautilus down into the ocean is the same force that threatens Nami's people and wiped out Fizz's race. Given that Nami needs the moonstone (and Ironstylus hinted that she has some upcoming interactions with Diana, if I recall correctly), this could easily tie up into a story that threatens Bilgewater (and then directly the rest of Valoran).

Trundle could never really have that option other than "I'm just here to help broski". There might be some other champions that suffer from this same thing, but not to the same degree as Trundle in my opinion.

Edit 2- In light of what the Rioters (Ironstylus + Runaan) have added to the conversation while I was sleeping (and missed the coolness of getting red posts in my thread), I think it might be best as a community to start looking at other "disjointed" champions, and what we consider core to them as characters. You can see Riot starting to do this by obviously Trundle and now to an extent Anivia. Instead of existing in an arctic world beforehand, she is now the same being but just from Frejlord the whole time. Her role and identity are largely the same, just her place of origin has changed. I think now would be the best time to give Riot feedback on what we like about the characters of the champions we all love (or hate if we're talking about Teemo) now.

Icker

04-04-2013

You can say this same thing about half of the champions. They don't have any particularly good reason to be there, they just are.

Kyrrion

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icker View Post
You can say this same thing about half of the champions. They don't have any particularly good reason to be there, they just are.
Jarvan doesn't have a kingdom to run that's certainly not rubbing elbows with Noxus. That also means Darius, Swain, Kat, and company are all playing goldfish waiting for their next League match as Demacians take lessons in gardening taught by Garen.

And there's certainly nothing going down in Frejlord right now.

Brightinly

04-04-2013

He was looking for a cure, far from complete and much better than most of the champions.

JunkRamen

04-04-2013

I think people are more upset about the character being scrapped, not so much the backstory.

Kyrrion

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightinly View Post
He was looking for a cure, far from complete and much better than most of the champions.
Towards the end of Trundle's judgement, he says

Quote:
"It seems this is the 'cure' I was looking for after all"
I'm sorry, but it sounds like Trundle doesn't care anymore. Since the plague is tied with his ability to regenrate, "curing" it would kill him (as his body wouldn't be able to sustain itself).

Vikaryous

04-04-2013

Basically.

I love Trundle, as a champion and a character, but I feel like this is a much better direction for him overall.

...But I am sad to see the voice go >.>

TheNittles

04-04-2013

Xerath has nothing to do. His story is complete. Everyone who imprisoned him is dead. Same thing with Fizz. His tribe is dead, so he came to the surface to hang out.

There are other champions with "complete" stories.

Titiln

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkRamen View Post
I think people are more upset about the character being scrapped, not so much the backstory.
The only thing they really hanged was lore, overall he plays the same exact way

Daedalus871

04-04-2013

Nami has reasons to not be there even.