Riot just SHOVED the RoA up my... [Volibear Rant]

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

04-06-2013

It's difficult to please everyone.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melancholy Exile

Senior Member

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoron View Post
I saw him more as “I will fight for the weak, I will use my strength to defend those that can’t.” That is the feeling I got when he allied with Ashe. That feeling is now gone and replaced with disgust (at Riot) that they would portray Volibear in such a way (I feel a certain chronokeeper is behind all this).
Except ... that's not why he allied with Ashe at all.

Old Volibear allied with Ashe out of fear that a future war (Seemingly that between Ashe and Sejuani) would devastate his tribe. His sole reason for joining forces with her was his hope that, by throwing his weight behind her cause, there wouldn't be a war in the Frelord and thus his people wouldn't have to fight. The Ursine freely committed themselves to defend the Avarosan people, but only because it served their own interests. Nowhere in Volibear's old lore does it say anything him seeking to defend the weak. He was only looking to defend his own.

Volibear's new lore is intended to move him towards being an active player whose motivations actually suit his character. Rather than being motivated purely to avoid conflict, in the hope that will save his people, he now realises that conflict is inevitable and that the only hope left for the Ursine lies in the fact that they still have time to gather allies and prepare. Sejuani said she would stand with him against the darkness and, being an honourable warrior, he swore to do the same. It matters little to him who rules the Freljord; the only thing that matters is that the Ursine stand ready to face the oncoming storm.

If anything, I'd say his in-game dialogue suits his new bio better - "I do not pity cowards".


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

armonistan

Senior Member

04-06-2013

It should be noted that the objective of new lore is not to explain why they join the league. The objective to give taste of who the character is, their story, their personality, their background. So while upsetting to not see why Syndra is in a organization that by all means restrains her, it is not the role of her background lore to explain this. What they will do about this is unknown, but just keep this in mind.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Deafiler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoron View Post
Regardless of all of this, the current lore still fails to explain why Volibear is in the league!

It's quite simple, really. Under the new lore setup, nobody's in the league. It isn't 110 stories whose main characters are all part of a league and we fight their battles anymore, it's 1 story whose characters have been exported to a fighting game (along the lines of Person 4 Arena).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheNarvalOfDeath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy Exile View Post
Except ... that's not why he allied with Sejuani at all.

Old Volibear allied with Sejuani out of fear that a future war (Seemingly that between Sejuani and Ashe) would devastate his tribe. His sole reason for joining forces with her was his hope that, by throwing his weight behind her cause, there wouldn't be a war in the Frelord and thus his people wouldn't have to fight. The Ursine freely committed themselves to defend the Winter's claw people, but only because it served their own interests. Nowhere in Volibear's old lore does it say anything him seeking to defend the weak. He was only looking to defend his own.

Volibear's new lore is intended to move him towards being an active player whose motivations actually suit his character. Rather than being motivated purely to avoid conflict, in the hope that will save his people, he now realises that conflict is inevitable and that the only hope left for the Ursine lies in the fact that they still have time to gather allies and prepare. Sejuani said she would stand with him against the darkness and, being an honourable warrior, he swore to do the same. It matters little to him who rules the Freljord; the only thing that matters is that the Ursine stand ready to face the oncoming storm.

If anything, I'd say his in-game dialogue suits his new bio better - "I do not pity cowards".
I may be wrong but it means pretty much the same now with this little changes...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Puma Byte

Member

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Relm0 View Post
Despite me thinking that there are some issues with the lore of Volibear currently, I feel a strong necessity that saying the below is incredibly obnoxious, because you're basically saying "There's no reason! Yeah yeah they gaaaave a reason, but that doesn't count cause I don't like it! Why don't they give a reason? It's bad writing!"
I think you misunderstood me when I said, "Oh, but he did it for the same reasons he joined under Ashe." <-- That was me mimicing other who might imply that he joined the league this time under Sejuani for the same reason it is STATED in his previous lore (joined under Ashes request).

There is still nowhere in the new lore that states or gives a reason as to why he is in the league. He is just there.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Relm0 View Post
Also I would think that having Volibear acknowledge Sejauni as a legitimate ruler might speak of her being less of a heartless monster than you first thought rather than having Volibear becoming a heartless monster. Unless you don't trust your ursine friend anymore.
Oprah calling Kim Jong Un a "Good Guy" does not make him/what he does or did/what he stands for any less bad.

Volibear did not acknowledge her as the ruler in this lore, just as an ally which makes me butthurtt because of the implications that come with such an ally as Sejuani.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Puma Byte

Member

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
It's difficult to please everyone.
It's still so sore that I can't sit, it hurts. I close my eyes at night and try to image other reasons as to why he is with Sejuani...

Time heals all wounds, but Voli be damned if I let that chronokeeper anywhere near me!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vongeo

Senior Member

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
It's difficult to please everyone.
Cept with the old lore, that everyone was ok with.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HamburgerTime

Member

04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafiler View Post
It's quite simple, really. Under the new lore setup, nobody's in the league. It isn't 110 stories whose main characters are all part of a league and we fight their battles anymore, it's 1 story whose characters have been exported to a fighting game (along the lines of Person 4 Arena).
If this is the Truth then Riot's Lore Team are just horrible people. I mean if the goal is to expunge the lore then the double talk is inexcusable. A video games story is supposed to give purpose and drive the players to want to keep playing.

Personally i always liked how leagues lore could explain champions not permanently dying, and endless games with a controlled tournament setting.

I won't say you're wrong either because of things like the shadow isle retcon of Twisted Treeline (how did the summoners set up a tournament ground on an unreachable island of death?). Or that champs like Elise and now Lissandra being in league seemingly hurting their evil plans with no explanation otherwise.

What's the expression? Cutting the nose off to spite the face. If this is really Riot's plan then they are cutting the nose off to plant it in the dirt and try to grow a new face there. I really hope this kind of thing isn't the retcon endgame.And if it is I would hope they would have the balls (or rather dignity) to admit it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaemdar

Senior Member

04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoron View Post
... I close my eyes at night and try to image other reasons as to why he is with Sejuani...
I bet he likes to be ridden ;-)


123