Riot just SHOVED the RoA up my... [Volibear Rant]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Puma Byte

04-04-2013

So I was pretty up set with this whole new Freljord lore rework and no mention of Volibear (and Anivia and Willump). My rump was feeling pretty sore about the whole matter.

Riot must have saw me sitting there, grumbling my discontent and thought, "Hey! He's sitting there all sad and upset. We should do something about this!"

So they decide to release the next batch of new information about Freljord and with that came right up to me, threw me to the ground, bent me over, and rammed the Rod of Ages right up my bum, spikey side first.

If you have not seen it or heard about it, they redid the lore for Volibear (and Anivia, though they were more forgiving with her): http://www.reignofgaming.net/news/23...s-for-4-4-2013

If I was at the hospital and the doctor asked me to describe the pain in my rear from a scale going from 1 to 10 with 1 being no pain and 10 being searing unbearable pain I would tell him at least 15!!! How DARE THEY align Volibear with the brutish Winter's Claw tribe and that boarish Sejuani!!!

Volibear is a noble and majestic being, not some savage barbarian. If anything, Tryndamere should be allied with Sejuani and not Ashe. I am very disappointed at the lack of creativity that Riot expresses with their lore. It seems they have been taking the easy road and just tossing champions together for convience's sake. DISGUSTING!!!

Add Volibear (with Trundle, Warwick, etc...) to the ever expanding list of champs who have succumb Riot's lackadaisical efforts when it comes to creating a compelling background to their content.

armonistan

04-04-2013

I would not take it in that manner. Sejuani is not a barabarian. She lives a different lifestyle than the our own, A harsher one, but one with merit, where competency is what makes you, nothing else. For Volibear to ally with Sejuani is not a bad thing. In addition, Quinn's report suggests that Sej is something of a "great person". One of those rare people who can make history.

Deafiler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by armonistan View Post
I would not take it in that manner. Sejuani is not a barabarian. She lives a different lifestyle than the our own, A harsher one, but one with merit, where competency is what makes you, nothing else. For Volibear to ally with Sejuani is not a bad thing. In addition, Quinn's report suggests that Sej is something of a "great person". One of those rare people who can make history.
Sejuani WASN'T a Barbarian. Have you read her new lore?

Fappie

04-04-2013

They think the game being out for over 3 years with tens of millions of players means that it's still super new and thus they can change the lore as much as they like without worry.

Puma Byte

04-04-2013

Sejuani is no better than the elitist of Noxus or Demanica, who look down upon those who they think are weak or inferior. Volibear is nothing like this and should not associate himself with the like.

Methelod

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoron View Post
Sejuani is no better than the elitist of Noxus or Demanica, who look down upon those who they think are weak or inferior. Volibear is nothing like this and should not associate himself with the like.
Not really sure where you are getting this. While the lore rework is painful, and Riot doesn't care what it's fanbase thinks (Trundle. I will never deny that one), Volibear seems to be hit less hard with the rework. If anything it expands upon his personality and while you can think survival of the fittest is wrong, that is your own opinion.

armonistan

04-05-2013

Her ideas may be distasteful to many, however they have merit. The idea that, if you are incompetent, weak, and foolish, then you will be left to rot in your own inability. It is up to you and no one else to improve and become the best you can become. If someone does the work for you, then you are nothing but dead weight. That is what Sejuani believes in. Extreme, but has merit.

Vongeo

04-05-2013

At least he's still from freljord

RIP Trundle! I'LL COMPLAIN ABOUT YOU FOREVER!

Puma Byte

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by armonistan View Post
Her ideas may be distasteful to many, however they have merit. The idea that, if you are incompetent, weak, and foolish, then you will be left to rot in your own inability. It is up to you and no one else to improve and become the best you can become. If someone does the work for you, then you are nothing but dead weight. That is what Sejuani believes in. Extreme, but has merit.
True but this did not fall in line with the Volibear I first knew and loved.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volibear Before [Old Lore]:
Volibear accepted the responsibility and burden of being the leader of his tribe after his brother died. Partook in the perilous and honorable tradition of climbing the mountain and looking into the eye of the storm. Returned back to his people stronger and wiser to better lead them and prepare for the coming hardships he foresaw.

Nowhere does it insinuate that his people (the Ursine) were becoming weak and lazy in "their complacency during these times of peace" They lived in a frozen wasteland and went on, apparently, dangerous hunting trip to battle for survival. They were not weak by any means.

He forged an alliance with Ashe to further the greater good with noble pursuits. This alliance also explains why Volibear is in the League because part of the agreement with Ashe was that he join to fight with her for a strong, unified, safe Freljord.

Few can weather the storm that follows in the wake of Volibear's roar.
That conjures up images of a powerful and mighty beast and, coming from Ashe, a noble being to be revered and respected

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volibear After [New Lore]:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lore
The unforgiving northern reaches of the Freljord are home to the Ursine,a fierce and warlike race that has endured the barren tundra for thousands of years. Their leader is a furious adversary who commands the force of lightning to strike fear within his foes: Volibear .Both a warrior and a mystic, Volibear seeks to defend the ancient ways and the warrior spirit of his tribe.
This is a summary, I will break down the lore and the extant of butthurt in the following.

Quote:
Though history recorded their once legendary feats in battle, the Ursine now lived in tranquil seclusion .The warriors were headed by a triumvirate of leaders who maintained a long-lived isolation, avoiding the petty affairs and conflicts of others. As shaman to the three, Volibear was a respected sage known for his insight.
So... Volibear is now some shaman sage to an Ursine tribe ruled by three, whereas before he was brother to a might warrior chieftain.

Quote:
It was an era of unprecedented peace, but Volibear felt dread stirring within him. Prosperity was turning the tribe soft and weak, and many had long forgotten the sacred art of war. In time, Volibear felt the fire of their souls would be extinguished.
The Ursine seem to be living in some sort of isolated utopia in a frozen tundra where they become weak and lazy as if they had no hardships to face...
Volibear does not like that the Ursine are not battle fit. It does not say his dread and worry were the result of a future conflict but simply that he FELT the Ursine "had long forgotten the sacred art of war" and "felt the fire of their souls would be extinguished" NOT that they would die to some evil (not yet). Essentially, he did not like that the Ursine were moving away from their warrior traditions in times of peace and so this as making them soft and wimpy.

Quote:
When he revealed his misgivings to the triumvirate, they refused to listen and warned him to know his place.
So Volibear goes and complains… I don’t like that he was reduce to a mere shaman, he could have been the rightful leader and they should have listened

Quote:
Seeking wisdom, Volibear undertook a perilous climb to the peak of the Ursine's sacred mountain, a place forever shrouded in a thundering maelstrom. The eye of the storm was said to bestow portents, and legend held that the tempest would mark the next great chieftain of the tribe. As Volibear ascended the peak, he was struck by an unnatural bolt of lightning. When the shaman awoke, he was possessed by a horrific vision of the Freljord utterly consumed by darkness. Volibear saw an unprepared and complacent Ursine force slaughtered by terrible creatures of ice. In an instant, he knew his race would perish if they did not prepare for war.
Not too far from his current lore about being deemed the leader by going through this trial of climbing the mountain and facing the storm and then receiving the vision.

Quote:
Volibear rushed down the mountainside to recount what he had seen, but found the path blocked by three Ursine - the triumvirate. Knowing he would end the lasting peace, they refused to heed Volibear's warning and demanded his silence, by his word - or his death. Resolute and adamant, Volibear swore that the Ursine's very survival depended on his message, and launched into ferocious combat against the three. A terrible clash ensued, and just as Volibear succumbed to his opponents, he called upon the power of the maelstrom. Unleashing raw lightning, he struck the trio down with a thunderous blow. Stunned and astonished, the triumvirate beheld the sign of Ursine leadership: the force of the sacred storm.
Nothing wrong with fighting for what you believe in and for others

Quote:
Recognizing his foretold ascendance, the triumvirate appointed Volibear as the Ursine's new leader.
Once again, don’t like that he was reduced to a shaman had to fight, but the lightning marking him as the leader and everyone acknowledging it is still here… I guess

Quote:
His influence was swift and decisive: he roused his tribe from complacency, revived their battle-hardened traditions, and allied with Sejuani, the warrior who would fight with them against the coming evil. With time, the tribe grew lean and fierce, becoming known again as fearsome warriors of legend. Volibear and the Ursine now stand ready for the dark day that looms on the icy horizon.
This is where the core of my burthutt originates from is that he would ally himself with Sejuani as it make him look more barbaric and brutish .

I KNOW! I KNOW! He’s only doing it because it says that Sejuani would fight with him against this black ice evil but it makes it seem like Ashe would not either, which I hardly believe.
Not to mention that by choosing Sejuani as your ally it implies you agree with her philosophies which all come across as “F*#$ the weak, why should I care!” Not a very noble aspiration, not something I saw the old Volibear as doing.

I saw him more as “I will fight for the weak, I will use my strength to defend those that can’t.” That is the feeling I got when he allied with Ashe. That feeling is now gone and replaced with disgust (at Riot) that they would portray Volibear in such a way (I feel a certain chronokeeper is behind all this).

The Ursine cannot know peace without war.
Comes across as some warmonger, not a noble revered leader of a majestic race that he once was. Worse is the fact that Volibear himself is spewing this rhetoric

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOWHERE in his new lore does it explain WHY VOLIBEAR JOINED THE LEAGUE! Oh, but he did it for the same reasons he joined under Ashe.
NO! I REFUSE to believe that Volibear joined the league to fight for a unified Freljord under militant ideologies of Sejuani. That would only solidify the barbaric, warmongering image they are trying to paint him in and I refuse to lose what made the old Volibear noble.
Maybe Volibear is doing it to prove his strength?
NO! Volibear should not have to prove himself to anyone (that stupid fight with the triumvirate needn’t happen if he did not start out as some shaman). He’s a MOTHER F*#(ING ARMORED THUNDER/LIGHTNING BEAR! Sejuani (and all others) should be proving they are worthy of being in his presence.
Regardless of all of this, the current lore still fails to explain why Volibear is in the league!

0Relm0

04-06-2013

Despite me thinking that there are some issues with the lore of Volibear currently, I feel a strong necessity that saying the below is incredibly obnoxious, because you're basically saying "There's no reason! Yeah yeah they gaaaave a reason, but that doesn't count cause I don't like it! Why don't they give a reason? It's bad writing!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoron View Post
NOWHERE in his new lore does it explain WHY VOLIBEAR JOINED THE LEAGUE! Oh, but he did it for the same reasons he joined under Ashe.
NO! I REFUSE to believe...

Regardless of all of this, the current lore still fails to explain why Volibear is in the league!

Also I would think that having Volibear acknowledge Sejauni as a legitimate ruler might speak of her being less of a heartless monster than you first thought rather than having Volibear becoming a heartless monster. Unless you don't trust your ursine friend anymore.