Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The difference between Blackfrost Anivia's E and AA greatly affects her strategy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KiyoSpirit

04-04-2013

In another thread, Mæj mentioned that Blackfrost Anivia's E and AA are very different. This actually affects a strategy that Anivia uses.

Classic Anivia

So in the classic Anivia, Anivia's E and auto are rather similar. Anivia has two autoattack animations. She will use either her both her wings or only her right wing. When Anivia uses her E, she hits with her left wing.

The animation for E may look like an autoattack for someone who is not extremely familiar with Anivia. A general strategy with Anivia is to E an enemy and then drop R right before it hits for the double damage. This gives less time for the enemy to react and dodge the R if at all possible. In most cases enemies won't actually see the attack coming until it leaves Anivia (and sometimes not at all). Thus, Anivia has a millisecond of advantage.

Blackfrost Anivia

Blackfrost Anivia has two autoattack animations. One with her left wing, and one with her right. When shooting out her Q and E, she uses both wings. I am not as concerned about Q, as there is a very distinctive sound that comes with it as it's shooting out. Regarding the E however, it is extremely easy for enemies to know that if Anivia suddenly jerks back, an attack is coming. Thus, when using Blackfrost Anivia, you lost the E-R millisecond advantage you had before.

Why is this millisecond advantage such a big deal?

Anivia's counter is gap-closing champions. By adding a millisecond to the reaction window, the enemy is given more time to use their gap-closer and dodge the R. Then Anivia's E hits like a wet paper towel.

Take any gap closing champion as an example. I'll choose some of her more harder counters.

Fizz: Fizz was already hard to hit with an E-R combo in the first place due to Playful Trickster. Now with the early warning, he can get away even more easily.

Kassadin: Anti-mage. Anivia will E and Kassadin can just Riftwalk up to her face. Done even more easily now with extra time. Sometimes, I can E and smack down my R as Kassadin is Riftwalking and I will still do the double damage, but I always cut it extremely close. Now, there is a even a less chance of that happening. Kass can now silence and walk away with no damage done.

LeBlanc: She basically demolishes the majority of mid mages, but sometimes I can still pull the combo off, since she has to use her E first. If she chooses to simply W out of the way, then I'll mostly likely miss.

Some lesser gap closers:

Talon: Uses cutthroat as soon as he sees the E coming. I generally have to wait it out with Talon. He must attack first if I am to land my combo.

I still want one more reason why Riot should care.

Blackfrost Anivia will be a legendary skin. 1820 RP. This means that only dedicated Anivia players will buy it. This also means that they are the ones who will see the difference in the E and AA animation and be turned off by it.

Solution:

Simply switch Blackfrost Anivia's left wing AA with the E animation.

~~~

Quote:
DietPepperPhD:
I think this means they should change the original skin to have more distinctive animations.

I do not think that a "hard to tell what's happening" should be a part of a champions kit. Everything should be distinctive so that counter play and learning can happen throughout the normal process of playing the game.

I'm sure there are quite a few champions whose attack and skill animations are comparable. However, not many of them rely on a strategy such as Anivia's to deal extra damage. She has to land BOTH of her skills. One or the other won't work. For other champions, they can land one skill and still do a decent amount of damage. So yes, for Anivia, it does matter.

Quote:
Zielmann:
I feel like it's generally easy to tell when she's cast an E vs. and Auto Attack on any skin...
If people are missing it, that's their fault, and they probably won't notice the difference with the new skin, either. People who already notice the difference won't be impacted by this. So really, it's a meaningless thing at high level where people will be good enough and familiar enough with Anivia that it isn't giving them any sort of edge. And at lower level play, people aren't going to notice it anyhow. And I don't really see it making much difference in terms of landing that combo or not.

Well, my point was that people who usually miss the animation on a normal skin will see the animation on Blackfrost. Perhaps that is a small chance, but the chance is still there. There's no point for a skin to give an advantage or a disadvantage to players.

~~~~~~~~~~

We have a Red post! Oh wait...darn.

Mæj

04-04-2013

This. Riot, hear us.

KiyoSpirit

04-04-2013

bumping for justice!

Bethiriam

04-04-2013

I concur, for a Legendary Skin on Anivia, rather than an Aesthetical difference on her skills from her Auto-Attacks, Riot should look into making the transition for experienced players as seamless as possible, as they would be the larger part of prospective customers.

Soulece

04-04-2013

A little off topic here but LeBlanc doesn't beat every mid mage. Kass beats her, so does Swain. Fizz can beat her too. I think I have OCD so I had to point that out.

Faptain Teemo

04-04-2013

Seems like the aa speed is fast to me

ßrutally

04-04-2013

First post I like and is interesting in awhile.

KiyoSpirit

04-04-2013

Quote:
Soulece:
A little off topic here but LeBlanc doesn't beat every mid mage. Kass beats her, so does Swain. Fizz can beat her too. I think I have OCD so I had to point that out.

That is very true. I changed the wording a bit.

How does Swain beat her? She can just jump out of his snare.

Quote:
Faptain Teemo:
Seems like the aa speed is fast to me

It's about the same speed as her classic aa.

Bethiriam

04-04-2013

-Omitted comment for thread derailment-

KiyoSpirit

04-04-2013

Le bumps. I saw a Red go by.

>.>
<.<