Tips: How to get to Gold tier

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Faker

04-04-2013

Hello, I'd just like to share my view on how to get to Gold tier.

I'm currently only in Gold 3, so I'm like an average player or maybe slightly above average.

I didn't play ranked in season 2, started playing ranked like 2 months ago in season 3.

I got 9 wins, 1 loss in placement matches, was placed in silver 1. Then promoted to gold 5 after finishing promotion matches.

So I may not be most skilled player, but I do know tips on getting to gold tier.

1. Obviously, your skill level has to be equal or better than other gold tier players. This means you can carry games in bronze/silver tier or normal games.

2. Only play a champ that you are good at : Currently I'm at 17 wins, 4 losses in ranked games. 13 wins of it, I played as jayce. Also if possible, play champs that can carry games. So one of my friends in silver right now mainly plays support. But it's really difficult to carry as support especially when your adc isn't that good.. So if possible, play champs that can carry : vayne, jayce, vlad, ryze etc...

3. Carry the game : Now many people in elo hell complain, I should be in gold, plat, have amazing kda but my team sucked, trolled so I simply can't win. I agree luck is involved to some extent. Like in games where people intentionally feed or leave, it's almost impossible to win such games. But losing lane and intentionally feeding is different. If you are truly skilled and can outplay your opponent, don't just cs in your lane but rather help your losing teammates. For example, this is what I do with jayce.

-When winning my lane : push my lane first, come down to bot and help with drag or initiate 5 v 4 teamfight.
-When losing my lane ( I was matched against plat V when I was in silver I for some reason) : roam to mid until minions are pushed to my tower. Avoid feeding my opponent.

Depending on situations, you could push upto 2nd tower. But my point is, do something to help the whole team. Not just yourself.

4. WARDS!! : I say the main differrence b/w bronze and above tiers is that bronze : only support buys wards. Other tiers: Everyone buys wards

5. Most importantly, don't rage but rather encourage your team. When you rage, it simply discourage every teammate.. COMMUNICATION I say is the most important factor in winning games. Champs composition, countering opponents picks etc... talk them through.

That's all the tips I can give, I know they are really obvious ones but I still wanted to share lol. Good Luck to you all !

Kiesling

04-04-2013

For what it's worth, you're not technically an average player. Gold V is the top 8% of all players. It may seem like you're average because A) most people are confident to overconfident in there abilities, and what you hear sounds like everybody really understands the game, and B) because you're in the middle of the 5 tiers.

It looks like you're in the middle of all of the players, but there is something around 705,000 ranked players below you (whether that's where they belong is another debate, but that is an approximate percentage of your position). The common statistics are from the beginning of S3, where it was estimated there were 770,000 ranked players.

You have 3 tiers above you (Plat, Diamond, Challenger) of which there are only about 12,000 players total.

It sounds weird, maybe even feels weird, but technically you are well ahead of the curve.

Faker

04-04-2013

top 8%? wow didn't know that.... :P

Stryker159

04-04-2013

sound advice.

the only problem is that the people that need to read it, wont. The people that do read it are likely already improving, or already there (i'd put myself in the already improving category, i just try to play ranked only whem i'm in a good mood, so dont play ranked too often. 2 wins one loss in bronze 3 has me at 81 lp)

Faker

04-05-2013

@Stryker159
Thank you!. And yes, I do the same thing lol. I only play ranked when I know my internet connection is stable and I'm in good mood.

Faker

04-05-2013

I don't think I ever enjoy ranked games as much as normal games. When I play ranked games, I try my best to win the game which could be stressful sometimes. And I basically play the same champion that I'm good at over and over..

QuantomSlayer

05-25-2013

Hey on League my name is QuantomSlayer, I sent a friend request because I have a question. :b

stàr

05-25-2013

Just want to add that he could be plat 5 and have 1200 ELO, hidden ELO is what counts but unless he got an ELO job to just plat it means he was with some champ or lucky enough to get plat.

Best advice you gave is play what you want.

Also if you rage like me and feel it coming just ignore everything and try your best to keep your mouth shut.

Even if you top lane like me and you, don't be afraid of roaming mid, jungle, bot if you think you can make a play, a double kill bot is worth more in soloQ than your tower.

TheHungryPig

05-25-2013

I like the tips alot! Thanks for all the help

dirtikiti

05-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJstyle View Post
This means you can carry games by yourself in bronze/silver tier or normal games.
You do understand how that comment goes against the whole "team" aspect of this game, right?