Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


New icon crediting method now on PBE! 4/3

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

Senior Member

04-03-2013

Quote:
Raeku:
Doesn't making people "lose" their current icon feel like a step backwards for earning another icon? I'm imagining this as sort of an achievement-based system where you work hard to get something new, and are somewhat pigeon-holed into the decision if you want to swap icons in the future.

Overall though, I am glad you guys are looking to improve the summoner icon system, it's another fun way to diversify myself from other people, so thank you!

-Raeku


This is my biggest issue. Unlocking an icon would feel great - unlocking each of the three icons would feel great, in fact. But once you've unlocked one and want to maybe switch to another that you had already unlocked and been able to use, the idea of having to "earn" it again is just not very appealing. Why should the player have to earn something he already earned once? At that point, is it really worth winning another 10 games with an icon I couldn't give a damn about just to use one I maybe like more than my currently-unlocked icon?

It just doesn't feel right.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

No name just me

Recruiter

04-03-2013

Sounds cool, will try soon. Two things I don't like about it are the win a new one lose the old one thing, there should at least be a message asking if you want to switch to the newly won icon, and that those are the only 3 icons that can unlock new ones.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Astrotype

Junior Member

04-03-2013

cool


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gas Mask Zombie

Senior Member

04-03-2013

You can't be serious -_-


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Google

Member

04-03-2013

Pretty cool


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

04-03-2013

Quote:
BlueFire:
Thanks! My favorite is the mask icon. That is why I chose to use it along with the urfs.

Why not bot and custom?
We feel like it will be more meaningful to earn wins against fellow players in a more equal "match made" setting. Also some technical implications make it a better choice.

Will this go live?
Not this exact test. We may or may not see something similar on live, you know how the PBE is.


Ah, I enjoy the idea of getting unique icons in game, Santa Baron, the dark claw, that mask - they have a certain cool appeal, and they're like collectibles.

I can't wait to see what the icons will be on live. A question I have though, I primarily play on the PBE to test and hunt things - will I be able to keep the mask on the PBE? Or when this is eventually cycled out onto the Live servers will we only have options to get the same ones as on Live once we are updated?

Another question - Can we expect to see this in the future with different modes offering different rewards, like ARAM Queue wins giving you one option for collectible icons, while Dominion, SR, Ranked, Normal, etc. give you alternative options? Or is this very early on and things are still being discussed?

I generally enjoy ARAM or sort of non-normal modes like those (glad for the ARAM Map Mode getting its own spot), so I'm wondering if I'd be able to collect different icons based on that in the future, or if they'll be evenly spread, or what.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SOSBrigade

Senior Member

04-03-2013

Quote:
Cheironn:
Question: Will there be Teemo icon?


Instead of that, can we have a picture of teemo tied to a pole with us holding a torch?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elinoi

Member

04-03-2013

Quote:
Solari Brigadier:
This is my biggest issue. Unlocking an icon would feel great - unlocking each of the three icons would feel great, in fact. But once you've unlocked one and want to maybe switch to another that you had already unlocked and been able to use, the idea of having to "earn" it again is just not very appealing. Why should the player have to earn something he already earned once? At that point, is it really worth winning another 10 games with an icon I couldn't give a damn about just to use one I maybe like more than my currently-unlocked icon?

It just doesn't feel right.

Not to sound like a stingy hipster.. But I'd be kinda annoyed if people could unlock multiple icons I bought rp/gifted or did whatever for, only a few months later, for free.
I can kinda see where the appeal is for new players ect.. but I assumed they would only be present during events and either would return during the next year's relevant event or would be replaced with new ones ?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

Senior Member

04-03-2013

Quote:
Nademine:
Not to sound like a stingy hipster.. But I'd be kinda annoyed if people could unlock multiple icons I bought rp/gifted or did whatever for, only a few months later, for free.
I can kinda see where the appeal is for new players ect.. but I assumed they would only be present during events and either would return during the next year's relevant event or would be replaced with new ones ?


Time out here.

I'm just guessing - and this is all based on logic and hope that Riot isn't doing what you're suggesting - but the icon choices being given away are only a test here. These won't be the same icons involved when it goes live.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elinoi

Member

04-03-2013

Quote:
Solari Brigadier:
Time out here.

I'm just guessing - and this is all based on logic and hope that Riot isn't doing what you're suggesting - but the icon choices being given away are only a test here. These won't be the same icons involved when it goes live.

I hope your right on that.