Crit runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kangsters

04-03-2013

Are greater marks of crit chance really worth the purchase, say your going tryn, panth, or adc?

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

Some people like using them on Tryndamere and Gangplank. Otherwise Armor Pen, AS and AD are going to be more universally useful

67chrome

04-03-2013

I've tested most of the runes out in champion builders like this one that actually show the %DPS increase between differing rune sets pretty easily and the result is: Crit runes are terrible. You'll end up dealing more critical strike damage with Attack damage, attack speed, and armor penetration runes than you will with critical strikes runes.

That said, the critical strike formula was changed so it isn't particularly random and pretty reliable, so if you don't crit for a while a critical strike is going to come soon - so adding 1 critical strike chance mark on such champions can allow you the "lucky" crit to win lanes rather reliably - which is what I'd recommend for Gangplank, or a wide range of auto-attackers really. If you wanted critical strikes with Pantheon, 1 mark is the way to go.

For Tryndamere? I don't really know whether or not getting more critical strike chance would help him out enough to merit grabbing them. Usually champions with something built into their kit (like critical strike chance steroids), are better off getting complementary attributes rather than more of the same - but it would clearly be for the utility aspects of gaining fury and using said fury rather than damage. And I've heard that his fury generation is pretty unreliable and snowbally - if he's loosing lane Tryndamere has trouble maintaining fury and thus critically striking, were if he manages to win lane he has more than enough fury. I'm inclined to believe it wouldn't be to bad in his case, because staying the the game and remaining useful when you're loosing is generally a much better recipe for success than being able to win when you're winning.

Ill Darkistino

04-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangsters View Post
Are greater marks of crit chance really worth the purchase, say your going tryn, panth, or adc?
On anyone that AA's a lot, take 1 or 2 crit chance marks along with whatever else you grab. Since you gain more crit chance based on how long you have gone without dealing a crit, that "lucky" crit can really mess up your opponent.

Dragoon14th

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2013

pan already has 100% crit on 15% less hp op shiiiittzzzz

Rawrful

04-09-2013

There is one horrible flaw with that DPS calculator. And that is that Damage Per Second isn't what you actually care about in lane, or even often in team fights. You really don't care about what build averages the most damage if you auto attack a stationary target with average (Or no) defenses for a minute then divide the results by 60.

What really matters is setting up engagements, poke damage, high damage per attack with a lower attack speed if you are planning on kiting. Crit runes aren't as good for DPS, but if you are playing Gangplank and you get two crit Parrles off in lane, you just zoned the enemy because one more and they are dead. Same can go for Trynd or many other champions. Heck, the 'worst' pick for DPS increase, crit damage, actually works well with Gangplank nowadays, because the magic damage from a Shiv proc can crit and scales with crit damage, giving you the chance to automatically win your lane if you rush Shiv and get a lucky crit on your opponent.

That said, in reality, most of the time what you want is armor or health seals, MR Glyphs, and if you are AD, a mix of pen and flat AD marks and quints. While they don't give you that gamble to instawin, they give you a strong bonus that helps through all stages of the game, and helps you CS.

Galgus

04-09-2013

I'm weird, but I jungle as Yi with an all crit chance rune page.

(Can only get away with it due to Meditate, really.)

Anyway, the main draw to them for me is that getting high amounts of Crit Chance can be difficult when your champion has a strong AS steroid, because aside stacking Infinitey Edges you will be buying a ton of attack speed.

You might consider them if you play champions that buy an Infinitey Edge regularly, as the stat can be hard to come by at a certain point.

I would also reccomend using a single crit chance rune on any champion that auto-attacks often: a single lucky crit in lane can really help.