@ Riot - You said my concern over Lissandra's appearance was unfounded.

1234511 ... 30
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Avalon Bright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

Prefacing this with a disclaimer: I think as a villain, the Ice Witch looks kind of cool. I still hate the obsession with ridiculous looking headgear, but in the long run, it fits the character this time, she looks terrifying, creepy as ****, and certainly appropriate for her role as an antagonist I think her kit looks interesting and as a standalone character, she looks pretty damn cool. Even for one such as me who is usually all about the sexy looking champs, she looks like a nightmare waiting to happen and if she weren't retconning Lissandra I would be snapping her up in a heartbeat. I still know despite saying this, that this post is still going to get downvoted immediately into oblivion, but I still want to get this out there and I want Riot to see it and hopefully acknowledge it nonetheless.

Early on after Lissandra's first reveal, I expressed concern to Morello and Iron Stylus on Twitter--had I known Christina Norman was Kitae and behind all of the lore now (which explains a lot), I would have probably done the same to her as well, but I was only made aware of the fact they're one and the same today. In any case, I made it known that as a fan of lore and Freljord, I'd been waiting for Lissandra's reveal for years now, ever since she first showed up.

Iron Stylus in particular responded with the following, after her portrait was sketched and I showed some worry based on the picture we'd already seen in the Journal of Justice. Iron Stylus' reply was the following.

Quote:
You’re making some pretty hardcore assumptions off of a single image. I’d advise against that.
So I say fair enough, and mention I'm merely worried based off the JoJ picture, however vague it may be. So nonetheless, today rolls around, and I feel betrayed. I feel confused, hurt, and all that, because... No, I didn't make any assumptions at all. She's nothing like the JoJ and everything like the sketch showed, or even worse, really. So I feel nothing less than lied to, to suggest I was making some unfounded opinion when she's even more horrific than what was already shown off. Every concern I had ended up perfectly justified.

I know 95% of the people reading this won't care less. She IS a very cool (no pun intended) looking villain, even if she is NOT Lissandra, but as per the usual most people don't care about lore or give it a second glance. There are still people that call Valor "bird form" for crying out loud. But for a lot of us? We care. For me in particular, as a writer and roleplayer, lore is what drew me and kept me with LoL compared to other MOBAs. I don't have any investment in "Drow Archer" or "Invoker" or any other "colorfully" named Dota champs. When it came to Freljord in particular, I loved the idea of Ashe and her sister's alliance. Ever since the "Ice Dervish" was mentioned, I couldn't wait to play her. I've been eager to see her since the moment she got teased to arrive soon earlier this year.

Instead, we're met with this. Everything in the past was a lie. There is no alliance. There is no Lissandra. There's no sisterly relationship. There's nothing. The Ice Witch, because I refuse to even call her Lissandra, is nothing more than yet another dark mage like Zyra, Syndra, Elise with an 'evil' motif, while Ashe continues to be the only "good" beacon in the entirety of Freljord. Sure you could toss Nunu and Anivia in, but they're so distantly connected to ANYTHING in their stories they hardly count. Even the line in her preview suggests Ashe and Lissandra fighting together against the Trolls and Sejuani, yet now she's betrayed by her own sister who's nothing but a fake?

A lot of people have been talking down on Riot's lore team ever since the wonderful JoJ got shuttered, but I mostly still defended it. Quinn's reveal was interesting, and a lot more champions tie into others than before. But with this Freljord patch I don't know if I can anymore. Kitae has been dragging things into the mud for months now, and this is the greatest "Screw you" yet. Trundle's lore change is a slap in the face to everyone that loved a once tragic and heroic character, and now Ashe's entire support system has been retconned away for one more "Look how dark and spooky I am" antagonistic mage. Which also leads one to wonder why magic can't seem to exist in Runeterra unless you're a villain anymore. When was the last truly good mage? Lux? I don't even know.

But I digress. The point is, I've been eagerly awaiting this ally to one of my favorite characters for years, only to get kicked in the stomach by whatever this white walker wannabe is. I know Riot doesn't care. I know you have to have some level of detachment because you can't please everyone. IronStylus made that part very clear when his only response to my disappointment earlier today was

Quote:
Then good news! You have no obligation to play her!
Sadly this mirrors another statement "Kitae" made during her time at Bioware.

Quote:
Stop thinking you're a producer and telling us when and where we should be building our content.
I know I'm a faceless icon on the internet like every other player. I know Kitae doesn't really care about how many people are disappointed with countless lore retcons and changes. I know the art team doesn't care about some random player they've never even met. But I'm disappointed. I'm hurt, and I don't feel lied to, I WAS lied to. I know it's far too late to change, being as the character's set in stone and done already, and I know it wouldn't happen anyway just because one eager lore fiend is crushed. But I felt like it needed said anyway, because I've never been this let down by Riot since I started playing. I was already disappointed seeing Sejuani "The Winter's 'Claw'" turned into a flail-wielding barbarian, but at least she was already an antagonist. This? This is on a whole, WHOLE other level.

Edit to add: A question further in states that lore is created AFTER champion design, though in this case we've already had a basic concept for Lissandra and numerous images in the Journal of Justice. This prompted me to add another reply from Morello which stated,

Quote:
"You actually wanted "featureless blonde chick?"
Which confirms the suspicion that Riot would rather retcon the lore and destroy an established character because apparently a normal human is not exciting enough anymore. Where once were Miss Fortune, Lux, Ashe, Katarina, Fiora, etc, we now have Elise, Zyra, and, well... The Ice Witch. And don't get me wrong I love monster champs as much as anyone--I love all the void monsters, I adore Thresh, etc. But WHY LISSANDRA. Why not the Ice Witch AND the Ice Dervish? Why destroy lore that already existed to give Freljord a third antagonist and leave Ashe out in the cold, quite literally? Why even state "Can Ashe and Lissandra fight back the ice trolls, the ice witch, and the winter's wrath" if Ashe is all alone? None of this makes a bit of sense. Even with the Ice Witch faking her role, why even suggest in an out-of-character preview the question of Lissandra and Ashe protecting Freljord together?

EDIT 2: Riot has updated "lore" further for Freljord, as seen on RoG. On top of ruining the tragic story of Trundle... Anivia is now the personification of Freljord itself, Volibear beat down members of his own tribe due to them thinking he'd end an era of peace, the Ursine are now allied with Sejuani because she's the "chosen hero who will fight back against the evil" and have never even contacted Ashe, Ashe herself is an idealist fool, and... RIOT. STAHP. I think it's BEYOND clear that Kitae has absolutely no place behind the pen of any fiction piece whatsoever. This is getting utterly ridiculous. You're not even retconning old lore anymore, you're literally retconning things from weeks ago. What happened to Sejuani preparing to fight Ashe? What happened to "Can Lissandra and Ashe fight back against the trolls/Sejuani/Witch?" RIOT WHAT ARE YOU DOING ANYMORE.

Lana Dole Rey

04-03-2013

Dude did you not read the lore? Lissandra has a human form and was masquerading as the ruler of the Frostguard thats why she looks different in the Journal of justice and the "human" form lissandra.

Jesus christ you're ignorant. "its all a lie"
THATS THE WHOLE POINT. the fake lissandra killed the real lissandra and pretended to be her so she could corrupt the frostguard. The fake lissandra made an alliance with ashe so that she could deceive her.

if you dislike the way they made a twist in her lore or whatever and her aesthetics cuz she doesnt look like a skimpy ***** like 99% of the rest of the female champions (who the other evil champions like Syndra and Elise do) then dont play her.

Avalon Bright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

Very good job completely failing at understanding anything I said.

Frozen Dervish

04-03-2013

The least they could do is make her skin her ice dervish self with no ragnaros ice flow instead of feet.

IS13c7fafe7804f7429d10e

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Bright View Post
Which also leads one to wonder why magic can't seem to exist in Runeterra unless you're a villain anymore. When was the last truly good mage? Lux? I don't even know.
"Magic has ruined this land!"

He knew it all along!

dct2000

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Bright View Post
I was already disappointed seeing Sejuani "The Winter's 'Claw'" turned into a flail-wielding barbarian, but at least she was already an antagonist. This? This is on a whole, WHOLE other level.
She was always a flail wielding barbarian. It was just that she was a flail wielding barbarian in a bikini

Limper

04-03-2013

I really, really like how she looks. I am afraid riot is going to get the wrong idea about that first concept image and make the character boring/cartoon looking, like the transition from Irelia concept art to irelia final.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAA&dur=223

SlumlordThanatos

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Dervish View Post
The least they could do is make her skin her ice dervish self with no ragnaros ice flow instead of feet.
I'd prefer that they shoot down the stealth bomber that's been sighted flying directly into her head.

I mean, there is ostentatious headgear, and then there's this...

nvmvoidrays

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limper View Post
I really, really like how she looks. I am afraid riot is going to get the wrong idea about that first concept image and make the character boring/cartoon looking, like the transition from Irelia concept art to irelia final.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAA&dur=223
'cept the irelia concept art was atrocious.

BiggerFish

04-03-2013

As the Jaegars would say...

Niiiize hat.

1234511 ... 30