Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

In your opinions, what are the best/worst champions to draw in ARAM?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Milenkov

04-03-2013

As the title says, I am wondering what you believe the best and worst champions to draw are (Top 5 of each, or even just some particularly strong examples).

Rancor Rising

Recruiter

04-03-2013

The best are Sustain/Shield champions with longrange poke. Things like:

Sona
Nidalee
Lux
Yi
Janna

These are decent examples, but generally speaking team synergy means far more than any particular random. These 5 and others like them such as Zilean, Nami, Kayle, Fiddlesticks and Lulu fit into pretty much any comp and carry far more than their own weight.

The worst are generally the melee champions without reliable engage and sustain or mechanics tied to minions. Examples include:

Trundle
Udyr
Tryndamere
Shyvana
Skarner

While weak, they still can contribute if built correctly. These champions also rarely have viable offbuilds, which I think is one of their downsides. However, on the right comp, usually one with multiple range-applied CC's, these champions can pull thier own weight. They just fit into far fewer comps.

Kalarepa

04-03-2013

Sona, Heim, Galio, Amumu, Katarina.

Sona and Heim - I think, constant top 2 highest win ratio doesn't lie. And if you think about it, you very rarely see them losing, even if their job isn't so obvious and visible.

Galio, Amumu - I think, their ults are broken on this map. It's much harder to dodge them in such a small area. Also, Galio has great harass and self-sustain, while Amumu deals ridiculous AoE damage with good items.

Katarina - Imo all heroes with "resets" are broken on this map, because they can snowball out of control in any moment. People die way more often than in SR, so they get more resets as well. Especially Yi and Katarina, but Imo Katarina is harder to counter.

Worst. It's hard to name the worst, every hero has potential. But if I have to:
- Udyr - outshined by more mobile bruisers.
- Karma - she's just weak atm, hopefully Riot will buff her. I saw few new Karmas in ARAM already and they all sucked.
- Rengar - doesn't really do that much, especially if you control the brush. He's scary, if he's fed, but gl getting fed on him in ARAM.
- Evelynn - kinda weak in ARAM after her nerfs.
- Leblanc - I honestly have no idea for the 5th worst hero, so I'll just go with lowest win ratio from lolking. Good Leblanc is scary, but I guess, random people can't burst enemy squishies and escape on Leblanc.

Theungry

04-03-2013

The champs I personally see on the highest tier are: Sona, Fiddlesticks, Amumu, Zyra, Ziggs, Jayce, Karthus, Lux, TF.
but i don't think the distinctions are quite as sharp. Just having one to push turrets helps a lot. I like Twitch, Kog, Varus, Cait and Tristana as the top ARAM ADs.

Rancor Rising

Recruiter

04-03-2013

Quote:
Theungry:
This says it pretty well. The one edit I would make is that AP Tryndamere can do quite well on PG.

That is true to an extent, but his new reliance on autoattacking minions really dropped him like a stone as far as I'm concerned. He actually takes a high level of skill to use now. A good one will do well, though, you are correct.

Le Misérable

04-03-2013

Top 5 : For me it has to be champions you can easily carry with.

1 - Sona

The only champion I won a 3v5 with. With max CDR, the heals are just too much.

2 - AP Kog'Maw

The poke is insane. His Void Ooze is probably one of the best skill for ARAM.

3 - Heimerdinger

Same thing, his poke is simply impossible to deal with throughout the game.

4 - Ashe

The best AD for this mode. Her arrow is almost always up and a good Ashe will kite your bruisers without ever getting touched.

5 - Cassiopeia

Her early game is just insane. I think Cass might be the most underrated mage in the game right now. With Liandry's Torment, she's insane.

A top 5 is very easy to do ... Jayce, Ziggs, Lux, Kayle, Twisted Fate, Yorick, Malzahar, Swain ... plenty of champions could be in there. Just a matter of personal preferences.

Worst 5 :

1 - Udyr

Gets kited all day, just useless. If you get this guy and you dodge, I'll understand.

2 - Darius

Same as Udyr. Get kited all day, can barely move. A pain in the ass to play.

3 - Kennen

Your ult has a ridiculously long cooldown and once you've done it, what's left ? Everytime I get Kennen, I play him AD.

4 - Rengar/Tryndamere

No damage, can't tank, no CC.

5 - Sion

If AP, your shield gets blown up instantly
If AD, get kited and die.

Overrated :

1 - Blitzcrank

Yeah you can pull pretty nice grabs early on ... but that's about it. He has weird builds and gets useless as the game goes on.

2 - Master Yi

All you need is one hard CC. Imo he's boring as **** to play too.

3 - Nidalee

I don't think she's as good as people say. Unless you run 3 AD carries, 2 mages and squeechy stuff like that ... people who play against her are just not moving enough. On top of that, everytime I play against a Nidalee, my team just wait for EVER before initiating. By the time we initiate, we're all at 1/4. Just go ! Stop waiting ! GO.

Underestimated :

1 - AD Zilean

People make it sound like if he was useless. He may be the best unconventional AD in ARAM. His autoattack range is the longest in the game + he can still use his speed boost and revive without having hard penalties because of a lack of AP.

2 - AP Maokai

His ultimate is absolute terror in this. I played against a guy last week who was playing AP Maokai and he had a penta kill just with his ultimate. We just vanished. His saplings are a good early poke tool too.

3 - Trundle

People have just no clue how to build him.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3253589
He's my favorite bruiser in this. Warmog, Spirit Visage, Gauntlet ... seriously he makes a crazy good frontline and he's the worst nightmare of any AD Carry. Remember that his Q has a very low CDs. With this build, you deal ridiculous damage and a lot of substain. He has no dash or close-up, but his W + mercs makes up for it.

Rancor Rising

Recruiter

04-03-2013

Quote:
Le Misérable:
Top 5 : For me it has to be champions you can easily carry with.

1 - Sona

The only champion I won a 3v5 with. With max CDR, the heals are just too much.

2 - AP Kog'Maw

The poke is insane. His Void Ooze is probably one of the best skill for ARAM.

3 - Heimerdinger

Same thing, his poke is simply impossible to deal with throughout the game.

4 - Ashe

The best AD for this mode. Her arrow is almost always up and a good Ashe will kite your bruisers without ever getting touched.

5 - Cassiopeia

Her early game is just insane. I think Cass might be the most underrated mage in the game right now. With Liandry's Torment, she's insane.

A top 5 is very easy to do ... Jayce, Ziggs, Lux, Kayle, Twisted Fate, Yorick, Malzahar, Swain ... plenty of champions could be in there. Just a matter of personal preferences.

Worst 5 :

1 - Udyr

Gets kited all day, just useless. If you get this guy and you dodge, I'll understand.

2 - Darius

Same as Udyr. Get kited all day, can barely move. A pain in the ass to play.

3 - Kennen

Your ult has a ridiculously long cooldown and once you've done it, what's left ? Everytime I get Kennen, I play him AD.

4 - Rengar/Tryndamere

No damage, can't tank, no CC.

5 - Sion

If AP, your shield gets blown up instantly
If AD, get kited and die.

Overrated :

1 - Blitzcrank

Yeah you can pull pretty nice grabs early on ... but that's about it. He has weird builds and gets useless as the game goes on.

2 - Master Yi

All you need is one hard CC. Imo he's boring as **** to play too.

3 - Nidalee

I don't think she's as good as people say. Unless you run 3 AD carries, 2 mages and squeechy stuff like that ... people who play against her are just not moving enough. On top of that, everytime I play against a Nidalee, my team just wait for EVER before initiating. By the time we initiate, we're all at 1/4. Just go ! Stop waiting ! GO.

Underestimated :

1 - AD Zilean

People make it sound like if he was useless. He may be the best unconventional AD in ARAM. His autoattack range is the longest in the game + he can still use his speed boost and revive without having hard penalties because of a lack of AP.

2 - AP Maokai

His ultimate is absolute terror in this. I played against a guy last week who was playing AP Maokai and he had a penta kill just with his ultimate. We just vanished. His saplings are a good early poke tool too.

3 - Trundle

People have just no clue how to build him.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3253589
He's my favorite bruiser in this. Warmog, Spirit Visage, Gauntlet ... seriously he makes a crazy good frontline and he's the worst nightmare of any AD Carry. Remember that his Q has a very low CDs. With this build, you deal ridiculous damage and a lot of substain. He has no dash or close-up, but his W + mercs makes up for it.

You are pretty correct I think, just a couple points.

Don't think AP Yi is overrated, for 2 reasons:
People don't build to counter him. Even one person letting Yi reset can be a lost teamfight.
If you don't happen to have the CC to shut down Yi, you have already lost.

Kinda the same with Nidalee, her spear is fine, and not terribly hard to dodge. How it interacts with FoW makes this harder. But the main problem is her combination of sustain and bush control. The team with Nidalee will likely always control the bushes and health packs, which is a significant advantage.

While AD Zilean is great, his autoattack range is only 600, which is tied with Anivia and less than Annie's 625.

Dukasho

04-06-2013

Zilean is horrible as AD. Having 50 more range than most other ranged ad carries doesn't make up for the fact he has no synergy with his kit. Speed + 50 range you might exchange well but it's so not worth it.

Beravin

04-06-2013

I hate Tryndamere. He requires too many items to be effective, and he does too little damage without those items. He has very little to offer a team, and is very easy to kite / poke / kill. If I could refund / delete him, I would, believe me.

Diculas

04-06-2013

The worst champion i got for ARAM was trundle. well him and Soraka