Matchmaking ban mechanic for ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheDuckies

04-03-2013

Guys, there really needs to be something that lets a team kick a troll from matchmaking in ranked. I had time for one game, got a troll who then did nothing but sputter obscenities while promising to throw the game. And, since he selected a champ, it forced me to dodge instead of take the hit to my ranking.

There needs to be a team ban mechanic - something where if all four other players vote to ban someone during ranked matchmaking it will place everyone but the troll back in the queue and put the troll on the other four players' ignore list.

Please, this is getting ridiculous. From suffering through trolls my ranked win rate is bloody awful and there is nothing I can do about it. If Riot really wants to cut down on trolls, give them real repercussions that aren't just a slap on the wrist. This would be a good first step.

Duckies

AeroWaffle

04-03-2013

Riot has promised that they're working on pre and post game chat reporting. Right now the only method is taking a screen shot and sending it to support.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuckies View Post
If Riot really wants to cut down on trolls, give them real repercussions that aren't just a slap on the wrist.
It's a video game. There are no real repercussions.

Consider what happens if someone queues up for ranked with intentions to feed on purpose and lose the game. (I hope you will agree that this is a rare thing.) That person gains enjoyment from other players being upset. It comes at the cost of a few LP for losing the game if no one dodges, and also the cost of possibly getting an eventual ban. Neither of these things mean anything to the troll, or he wouldn't do it. Think about it. All of the troll's power comes from the difference between how much you care about the game and how much he cares about the game. If he cared a lot, as much as you, he wouldn't be able to troll you by feeding because he'd be just as upset as you. If you didn't care at all, as little as him, he wouldn't be able to troll you by feeding because it wouldn't upset you.

The fact that League of Legends punishments are "real" to you and not to the troll is what makes you trollable. Allowing kick votes in champion select is a way of giving trolls more power; it's like a glowing neon TRYHARD sign right on your face. It shows how much they're getting to you, how much the outcome of the game means to you, and how much more upset you will be if they manage to successfully ruin your game or make you dodge.

TheDuckies

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoyItsaMegaman View Post
It's a video game. There are no real repercussions.
Fair points all round. What I'm saying is that there are no consequences of him being a jerk - there's not time 'punishment' for forcing others to dodge, those people who wish to play the game and not be trolled have virtually no recourse; the proposed solution would allow for such. No more, no less.

You assert that those people who want to play the game an not be hassled are somehow at fault for being trolled. Frankly, this is a lot like blaming the guy who got pickpocketed for carrying a wallet. The argument goes "if they can get to you, then it must be your fault." I suggest, instead, that measures be put in place to give recourse to those who are gotten to.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

04-03-2013

Let me clarify: I also care about winning. But the phrase "forced to dodge" means nothing to me because I don't dodge.

I feel that the measures already in place are sufficient. You can contact Support to report a player for their pre-game behavior with or without a screenshot. You can remain in game and use the report tool to report the player. Riot has also performed a mass ban of players who show a pattern of forcing teammates to dodge, and said that they will do so again as necessary.

I don't blame players for the existence of trolls, but I dislike that there are people who feed them. If someone is a pure troll interested only in misery, dodging out of a game hurts you and helps them. Now, if someone chooses to dodge rather than staying and making the troll lose too, I don't hold it against them, but I also won't have any sympathy for the LP they lost.

But the larger problem with all this is that the vast majority of players don't queue up intending to troll or be toxic. It's something that happens through interaction with teammates, and learning to interact positively with teammates is one of the tests of solo queue skill. I firmly believe this. Not all disagreements are the work of deliberate scheming saboteurs, and not all disagreements have a clear good guy and bad guy. Introducing a votekick system would encourage players to find someone to blame for a disagreement in order to avoid playing with that team. What's the benefit of voting NO if it means having to play out a game with (at least) two people who hate each other? There would be such an incentive to vote YES. It'd basically be a free dodge.