Visual Design Concerns about Sejuani's New Mount

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prince Kassad

04-03-2013

I think that Kevin Tuggles/Bristle has some severe problems in his new design. I understand from Ironstylus's posts that Riot wanted to make Bristle more dynamic and design him to be more of a hybrid boar/wolf than a fat pig. I appreciate this intent and support that direction, but I do not think the art team was successful.

1) Some of Bristle's sounds and animations are more horse-like than anything that resembles a wolf or pig. This is especially noticeable during Sejuani's /dance, when there is a sound of hoofs clacking on the ground that seems quite out of place for a stomping boar. This may have been an intentional aspect of Bristle's new design, but it does not follow the goal of making him look like a boar with canine aspects.

2) Bristle's tusks are now too long and too thin. It makes them look more like elephant tusks than pig tusks. While I understand that this may have been intentional, the number of distractions from Bristles core theme is beginning to add up. Instead of a boar and wolf, is he now supposed to be a boar, wolf, horse, and elephant?

3) This is my main concern: Bristle's legs are a mess. Too much of his body mass is in his legs, giving them the appearance of a bear's limbs. Both wolves and pigs have very thin forearms and pasterns, but Bristle's hefty paws make him look slow and awkward. Even worse than the size of his legs is their placement. His legs jut outward in a way that looks distinctly lizard-like and most definitely takes away from his central theme as a mammalian behemoth. No large mammals have legs that jut out to the sides. Not even dinosaurs had legs that jut out to the sides. Only lizards. A lizard is just about the last animal from which Bristle should take design inspiration.

I appreciate the intent of Bristle's new design. I do not have a problem with the direction, but I have a lot of problems with the execution. I believe that in an attempt to make Bristle feel more unique, the Riot art team lost focus and incorporated many elements that hurt his overall look. He has boar, wolf, horse, elephant, bear, and (worst of all) lizard components that make him a messy and confused animal, visually speaking. Bristle's anatomy, especially his legs, deserves a second look from the design team.

Attachment 652734
Attachment 652668
EDIT: What if I shifted some proportions around? Which one do you like better?
Attachment 652669Attachment 654561

tl;dr Sejuani now fails to fulfill the fantasy of either a boar-rider or a wolf-rider. The conglomeration of animals from which Bristle is composed is excessive, distracting, and lowers his design quality.

Gragas Undressed

04-03-2013

Honestly, Bristle's new design makes him look more like a wolverine than a wolf/pig. Trying to build a hybrid form of boar and wolf seems convoluted. His new design DOES make it look like he would be able to traverse the Freljordian landscape with ease but he has completely lost the feeling of being a boar. Throwing tusks and a pig nose on a creature does not make it a boar. Just makes it a creature with tusks and a pig nose.

Prince Kassad

04-03-2013

I changed his proportions a little bit. I think this would look so much better.

Attachment 652741

Prince Kassad

04-05-2013

bump for discussion

Prince Kassad

04-06-2013

I updated to re-proportioned Bristle image to look cleaner.

Change List:
-increased his overall body size
-decreased the girth of his legs
-re-positioned his legs to not stick outward
-shortened the length of his tusks and snout
-decreased the size of his tail

Luninareph

04-07-2013

I agree. I think Riot went a little overkill with the wolf influence on this new version. I really like that Sejuani rides a boar, and while I appreciate that they can do more animals for her to ride on using this new rig, I would like this version to look more boar-like...

Prince Kassad

04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luninareph View Post
I agree. I think Riot went a little overkill with the wolf influence on this new version. I really like that Sejuani rides a boar, and while I appreciate that they can do more animals for her to ride on using this new rig, I would like this version to look more boar-like...
agreed