Odd champ choices in high ELO.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

Ive watched a few games from Feedskys channel and I am a bit surprised at the choices of champs played.
It seems that maybe our traditional tier list may be pretty outdated.

I'd expect to see the following bans:
Kassadin, Nidalee.
Followed by 4 of the following:
Jayce, Jax, Teemo, Lulu, Panth, Darius, Jarvin, Amumu, Poppy, KZ, Wukong, Elise

Instead I look at their games and see these champs picked:

* Brand - Yeah. No escapes, lots of aoe and straight nukes.
* Annie - wtf?
* Kog - but no AS/onhit since that died in S3. Standard IE/PD build. But no escapes at all, so wonder why not Ezreal or Trist even?
* Syndra - with no murumana abuse even.
* Nasus - meh? Not like he can farm Q, nor has any real AD scaling.

I also notice that nobody really plays Tanky. I see J4 with brutalizer, Last whisper, instead of sunfire cape,etc.

Maybe we need a new Tier list..

Volandum

04-03-2013

1) It's not nice to spam OPs in blind queue and if you're recognisable you will be recognised for it.
2) Brand has incredibly good stun uptime, lots of damage, decent poke. Not many of the champs you mentioned have significant poke, only Lulu and nidalee for AP and Jayce for AD.
3) Annie has good stun uptime, a lot of natural bulk from her E, and is generally decently strong.
4) Kog'Maw massively outcarries Ezreal and Tristana, doing substantially more damage at pretty much all stages of the game. Trist might outdamage him in very late game, but her early and mid game are distinctly uninspiring.
5) Don't build muramana on syndra. Don't build sunfire capes. Why the HECK would Jarvan, who shreds armour and doesn't mess around with magic penetration, construct a sunfire cape?
6) Nasus is a moderately bot laner, his innate sustain makes him strong in a bunch of matchups and his crippling slow helps in some others.

EDIT: Wait, bans? Kassadin IS banned pretty much universally when bans are available, and Nidalee commonly so. In fact on draft nights those bans are standard.

Archlord Azezo

04-03-2013

There is also the fact that when your high high elo, you really don't have any where to go.

so people are more likely to pick champs that they feel like playing as opposed to the optimal choice. Or if its an inhouse, same thing applies.

Talith PA

04-03-2013

* Brand - Has always been very good at killing any bruisers that need to run at him.
* Annie - All her changes have turned her into a stun machine, in addition to her burst. Tibbers applies torch and rylais.
* Kog - Doesn't run around like Ezreal but he doesn't have to. #1 right click, generally a challenge to get to with solid positioning and void ooze, holds a point for days if you can't get to him
* Syndra - Strong laner, ult usually kills anyone that tried to gank her. Muramana definitely not recommended
* Nasus - Can do well in a lot of lanes, solid wave clear and sustain, counters laners like Jax
*J4 - Is an AD bruiser, gains absolutely nothing from building sunfire. If you need a health / armor item you build Locket and Randuins.

If you belong in high ELO dom then you should be able to win with any of the strong champions that aren't must bans. Especially, if you want to compete in tournaments since these champions are the ones you will have to use once the banning phase ends.

Kholdstare13

04-03-2013

Brand is and has always been a SOLID bot laner. He can push a lane as hard as yorick, himer, and malz, but does it from a huge safe distance. He has insane burst damage and a stun to counter any attempts to jump him. His passive/torch combo lets him slowly win the stalemate against another strong pusher.

Sunfire? Dom never sees sunfire outside of hug tanks, and even then it's an afterthought for all but rammus. Syndra muramanabuse only works on modes when she can farm a tear "early", as in not 2/3 or more of the game long. Nasus is a little meh, but wither shuts down a good range of champions and can always secure a target in the jungle for his team.

Kog's not DEAD in s3 to QUITE that extent, but a lot of his old power is gone. Old passive LB vision, stronger ranged slows from mallet, the cheaper cost of AS, etc. Bruisers have just been getting more and more of an advantage against him, which is why the pd build is so popular, since he gets extra mobility to position within his team. Kitae/hurricane can still be a nice build, but it's just less popular right now. Annie is a nice versatile pick, I just can't get used to the new W targeting.

DiscworldDeath

04-03-2013

I'll just point out the truth.

We play this game for fun. When you are at the Elo you think you belong at, and aren't trying to get higher anymore, you just play what you want to play, because otherwise you'd get bored.
So today you feel like Jayce, and tomorrow you feel like Nautilus, today you feel like Udyr top and tomorrow like Kha'Zix? Good for you.

Only way to keep playing is to have fun. A good way to have fun is playing what you actually WANT to play.

Chavez Obama

04-03-2013

Yep... I can't (and I suspect many others) play just to win anymore in Dominion. If that is what it came down to, I would quit. This is a game, and playing win and only win lost its appeal a long time ago, due to a multitude of factors (Real life, lack of support from Riot, time spent playing the game mode).

At the moment, there no easy way to distinguish people who want to play casually from those who want to be more competitive on a daily basis. It used to be that draft was more "competitive", In house somewhat satisfy this niche, but not really (stacked teams, people still try at various effort levels).

TL;DR : People are having fun, it is a game mode with no distinct "competitive" option such as ranked.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2013

Implying someone's brand didn't win Dominate's Dominions 17 to 24 with the exception of 23 (23 was won by someone's Kha'zix). and yes i know who they were, i jsut dunno if it counts as namecalling or not.

also i don't have an opinion in Muasyndra (you won't even charge the thing until late game so i ahven't ahd many chances to see it) but sunfire cape is just a Meh itme if you don't run any kind of Mpen on either your build,runes or masteries

Nyx87

04-03-2013

I gave up on tryharding during champ select when Draft died. There was no point after that. I just pick champs that i enjoy and fit into the team comp that i have. Sometimes people rage, like when i play Veigar, but they will get over it.

Also, BRAND SUCKS(eat it Ha i farted)

Painkillar

04-03-2013

It's a dubious plot that high elo's have concocted to make Sauron have to perpetually have to redo his tier list. Because if it's one thing Mordor doesn't need, it's a lazy eye.