REALLY, RIOT? Trundle's Lore Travesty

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Impeccablize

04-04-2013

I like both lores :P however, I do agree that the old lore was a bit more... satisfying. My idea of an average troll is more like the old Trundle. Just a note too, you kinda misspelled disease

Edit: misspelled in the main post

Vongeo

04-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impeccablize View Post
I like both lores :P however, I do agree that the old lore was a bit more... satisfying. My idea of an average troll is more like the old Trundle. Just a note too, you kinda misspelled disease.
Who?

anikay

04-04-2013

I thought the old Trundle lore was much better, in it he was the hero of his kind a Christ figure (in the literary sense) which was great and ironic because he is a rather despicable and hilarious troll. The new lore, however, just makes him seem like a tricky troll, who usurps power from his chieftain and dooms the trolls through his pact with the Ice Queen..... I mean, I'm just seeing a LOTR here.....Ashe and Sej unite to fight the horde, battle of helms deep, Nunu (gandalf) leads Yeti reinforcements in and turns the battle. Ice Queen swears vengeance, etc. etc.

powwder

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
You... you completely glanced over what I did, didn't you?

Trundle CAN"T cure himself, based on his old Lore, because doing so would mean that a vital part of his DNA - the Dissease itself, which his old lore said became so ingrained into the essence of the troll tribe that, now without it, they will all die off - and that would kill him.

The only reason he was even in the League after that was to have a place to stay and have a purpose after realizing the truth of the dissease and deciding to leave his tribe to its face for what they did to him.

And while I suppose he could, it would have been a little too akward, I think, to try to place this disseased, dying troll with a raspy, irritating voice (in my opinion it is) in charge of this northern, wintery tribe of badass ice trolls. Remember; the ONLY reason the Ice Witch let him live was to have a troll army.

1) trundles regeneration is so amazing when he was cursed he looked completely normal.
2) because he took the curse from his tribe he is now rotting and messed up.
3) he was offered a chance to give the curse back to his tribe in order to save his tribe since the curse was tied into their ability to regenerate.
4) this would leave trundle looking like a normal non cursed troll again.
5) trundle cannot return to his village since they would be pissed at him giving the curse back
6) he goes to the freljord meets the ice witch, gets magic ice club, conquers ice trolls

Vongeo

04-05-2013

Tundle Doesn't look like he is going to survive according to GD.

Kuwalda

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongeo View Post
Tundle Doesn't look like he is going to survive according to GD.
The purpose of the outrage is to rather inform other players with what is going down with the lore so that more and more people could see that the the current road isn't a good one.
I think it was pretty clear from the start that Riot won't change a thing. Or even respond to anyone.

Vongeo

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuwalda View Post
The purpose of the outrage is to rather inform other players with what is going down with the lore so that more and more people could see that the the current road isn't a good one.
I think it was pretty clear from the start that Riot won't change a thing. Or even respond to anyone.
My outrage was all change based. We have precedent from jayce.

Dezell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
The only problem with your "he cured it and became leader of the trolls," even if you account for his new ice powers and appearence coming from Boneshiver, is that the dissease was tied INTO the trolls very DNA by the time Trundle reaches the League, and his people were doomed to a slow death because a vital part of their persons was now gone. Trundle would suffer the same fate if he just up and cured himself, the disseaes WOULD HAVE to reamin if he were to survive.

While I do wish that they had attempted to move the Lore forward instead of taking a step back with it, they're completely right in doing so (from their own standpoint). Trundle's old lore really did limit how he could interact with the world, this new Lore allows him to be a much, MUCH bigger player.

So, how about instead of arguing about how bad it is. Let's move on and talk about the new Lore itself instead.
Okay. Let's talk about the new lore.

It's bland, it's boring, and Trundle is now Generic Troll 467990763280. We're supposed to care about him because Riot says so. He is special because Riot says so.

Y'know what? **** that. Trundle was the runt. Trundle was rejected. He was the underdog. He had sympathetic motivation. He took the curse and, honestly, made the most out of it. He was cool. He had a great personality.

New Trundle? He's boring. Screw the Troll King.

woopyfrood

04-05-2013

The catch is that if they kept his old lore, they would have to keep his old proportions and style of movement. Trundle has an attitude, which his lore expands upon. That's what lore is supposed to do.

I'm fine with them continuing Trundle's story, even if it feels kind of contrived. I just don't want them to scrap his attitude and concept, which is exactly what they're doing with this update.

SoresuMakashi

04-05-2013

Yeah, retcons are never good.

They should have archived his old lore as canon and made his new lore a continuation. I'm quite disappointed that they didn't. There was a thread on the forums with a great way to connect the two together.