Runes, AD/AP vs ArPen/MPen...Flat vs Scale

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brianlarson

04-02-2013

Having just come back to this game after not playing since 2-3 months after it was released, I find myself at a disadvantage at the beginning of most matches. Even if I outplay my lane horrifically. I have come to realize I am playing level 30's with full runes(I am @22)

So I need to get some runes rolling in to even the playing field.

I have +MS Quints already, I just bought full MR Blues and Armor Yellows. Debating on my reds now

For AP, Im debating between AP and Magic Pen

For AD Between AD and ArPen

And then again I debate between level and flat gain ones. Which would/did you pick and why

TheOneMillion

04-02-2013

Dont use runes.

Shallow Cubes

04-02-2013

You will need many different rune pages to optimize your performance in terms of rune combinations, but to help with some of your debating, here are some things to consider.

(I am assuming that you understand what primary runes mean)

1) For your AP dilemma - If we're talking about reds, take MPen runes, since they are considered primary for red. AP runes are primary for blue, so it is feasible (and, depending on the champ, recommended) to take scaling AP blues (rather than MR blues) and MPen reds.

2) For your AD dilemma - This will depend on the enemy team you are facing (and if you have enough rune pages to accomodate). ArPen runes will provide more returns as your damage increases and as enemy HP and armor increases. AD runes will provide more returns if your damage is low and if the enemy is not stacking armor primarily, though the differences between AD and ArPen runes becomes negligible later on (based on a spreadsheet I have created, messing around with rune and item combos).

AD runes on an ADC are still advised since it will help your last hitting to an extent early game, where it will really matter. It also slightly increases your ability to trade early in the game, or at least stay even with the enemy ADC.

3) For flat versus per level runes - This will depend on what lane you are in. ADCs typically take flat armor yellows and scaling MR blues because they are likely to face more physical damage than magic damage early game. So, as they move into late game, the scaling MR will offer more protection from a potentially more threatening source.

Flat AD reds are recommended, since they provide immediate and higher returns in terms of last hitting and trading. By the time the scaling AD reds really get going, your items will make their differences from the flat AD reds negligible.

AP/level blues are nice on solo lane AP champs, since they will be accruing EXP at a higher rate. This drives up their level gain, making the returns on the per level runes much faster.

I hope this helps clear up some things for you.

Aside from that... Honestly, if you are pinched for money or IP (or rune pages), you will probably not go terribly wrong if you opt for...

MR/level blues
Flat armor yellows
MPen or AD reds

Quints are up to you.

Brianlarson

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Cubes View Post
You will need many different rune pages to optimize your performance in terms of rune combinations, but to help with some of your debating, here are some things to consider.

(I am assuming that you understand what primary runes mean)

1) For your AP dilemma - If we're talking about reds, take MPen runes, since they are considered primary for red. AP runes are primary for blue, so it is feasible (and, depending on the champ, recommended) to take scaling AP blues (rather than MR blues) and MPen reds.

2) For your AD dilemma - This will depend on the enemy team you are facing (and if you have enough rune pages to accomodate). ArPen runes will provide more returns as your damage increases and as enemy HP and armor increases. AD runes will provide more returns if your damage is low and if the enemy is not stacking armor primarily, though the differences between AD and ArPen runes becomes negligible later on (based on a spreadsheet I have created, messing around with rune and item combos).

AD runes on an ADC are still advised since it will help your last hitting to an extent early game, where it will really matter. It also slightly increases your ability to trade early in the game, or at least stay even with the enemy ADC.

3) For flat versus per level runes - This will depend on what lane you are in. ADCs typically take flat armor yellows and scaling MR blues because they are likely to face more physical damage than magic damage early game. So, as they move into late game, the scaling MR will offer more protection from a potentially more threatening source.

Flat AD reds are recommended, since they provide immediate and higher returns in terms of last hitting and trading. By the time the scaling AD reds really get going, your items will make their differences from the flat AD reds negligible.

AP/level blues are nice on solo lane AP champs, since they will be accruing EXP at a higher rate. This drives up their level gain, making the returns on the per level runes much faster.

I hope this helps clear up some things for you.

Aside from that... Honestly, if you are pinched for money or IP (or rune pages), you will probably not go terribly wrong if you opt for...

MR/level blues
Flat armor yellows
MPen or AD reds

Quints are up to you.
Cheers this is more or less exactly what I was looking for in a reply