Wow!!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MDCityKILLER

04-02-2013

Wow! These forums are way more populated and responsive than the TT ones! What the hell? O.O

Bensam123

04-02-2013

ARAM is immensely popular. I'd say it's the second most popular game mode to SR, but that's because ARAM doesn't have a ladder or a matchmaker. Hopefully that will change shortly.

Honestly I don't find any of the other game modes appealing. I enjoy the chaos element in ARAM. It's just all around more fun.

I actually sorta think RIOT is trying to hold ARAM back because it'll overtake SR in terms of popularity (from a players perspective) and that would take away from the competitive scene there. So they don't offer us things like a matchmaker or ladder. It's like the casuals version of LoL. Just throw a bunch of people together and let them kill eachother.

Youniverse

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensam123 View Post
Just throw a bunch of people together and let them kill eachother.
The best type of game. Short, simple, and rewarding.

LrdVprScrpn

04-03-2013

Yeah I get the feeling that matchmaking has been intentionally slowed down while they figure out what they're going to do when people flood away from the flagship map.

Zupekadia

04-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrdVprScrpn View Post
Yeah I get the feeling that matchmaking has been intentionally slowed down while they figure out what they're going to do when people flood away from the flagship map.
They could always add another map. I still remember asking for one ever since lol came online.

And yeah, ARAM is a lot more fun than SR. The game pace is a lot faster and games can finish up quicker. I just play ARAM exclusively now for this reason.

Kalarepa

04-03-2013

Imo it's partially, because ARAM is random. Riot totally balances their game around SR, while the other maps suffer, because of poor balance in them. Just look at TT. People pick few broken heroes over and over and ruin games.
Same reason, why ABAM/ADAM aren't that popular. People pick broken heroes all day.

But in ARAM, you can't pick OP champs whenever want, so this mode works.

Bensam123

04-04-2013

Random is innately balanced in and of itself, I've suggested a 'structured' random which also fixes the 'ARAM accounts' when a matchmaker is added. Where instead of giving players all champions or some champions you get the weekly rotation champions for extended weeks.

So there are X amount of weeks of rotations you have access too, each new week pushes the oldest weeks worth out. Each weeks rotation is usually semi-balanced too. It has a ADC, tank, units with differing skill levels, bruisers and such...

I definitely think ARAM can eclipse SR in terms of popularity, all the hardcore SR players will hate ARAM and it probably isn't as much fun to watch, but from a players perspective it's definitely more fun to play.

They can still balance around SR and I think that would actually keep ARAM 'fun' verses them trying to balance ARAM.

I don't think adding a new map to SR would bring in popularity. I personally don't like the classic gametype because of the laning phases, harassment, and general BS before you get to late game where good fights happen. This skips all of that. A new map would be the same **** only a different color.

Zielmann

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensam123 View Post
ARAM is immensely popular. I'd say it's the second most popular game mode to SR, but that's because ARAM doesn't have a ladder or a matchmaker. Hopefully that will change shortly.

Honestly I don't find any of the other game modes appealing. I enjoy the chaos element in ARAM. It's just all around more fun.

I actually sorta think RIOT is trying to hold ARAM back because it'll overtake SR in terms of popularity (from a players perspective) and that would take away from the competitive scene there. So they don't offer us things like a matchmaker or ladder. It's like the casuals version of LoL. Just throw a bunch of people together and let them kill eachother.
I really think you're over-estimating the popularity of ARAM. There may be hundreds of ARAM games going on at any given time, but that's nothing compared to the amount of even just ranked SR games going on at the same time.

SR will always be king. It's the competitive map. It's the map things are balanced around. ARAM appeals well to more casual players looking to just have fun. If ARAM were more popular than SR, Riot would have implemented it as a normal game long ago. In reality, they're adding the queue because it finally got enough of a base behind it for it to be worth their time and resources to create the queue.

LrdVprScrpn

04-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
I really think you're over-estimating the popularity of ARAM. There may be hundreds of ARAM games going on at any given time, but that's nothing compared to the amount of even just ranked SR games going on at the same time.

SR will always be king. It's the competitive map. It's the map things are balanced around. ARAM appeals well to more casual players looking to just have fun. If ARAM were more popular than SR, Riot would have implemented it as a normal game long ago. In reality, they're adding the queue because it finally got enough of a base behind it for it to be worth their time and resources to create the queue.
Don't ever say "always" when talking about anything in gaming.

FDru

04-05-2013

Yeah I remember how Gunbound was always going to have a place for players who don't pay real money to have a fair and balanced match.