The problem with Tribunal and Riot.

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrainofaMonkey

Junior Member

04-02-2013

Players get punished, banned, and perma-banned for calling out bad players with "offensive language" who are often times trolling or feeding.

Players who troll or feed or are just terrible do not receive nearly the same punishment that players who use "offensive language" do. These players create a very negative gaming experience, yet are rarely punished to the same extent.

Riot is way to strict on banning players for being offensive. They should encourage the mute function instead of reporting. If you have a problem with a player you should just ignore/mute them. If their gameplay is fine, but they are "harassing" muting resolves the issue immediately.

However, if a player is trolling or feeding, simply muting them does nothing to resolve the issue.

I think it is ridiculous how strict Riot is with the language rules, yet how lenient they are with the gameplay rules. They should focus more on punishing troll gameplay rather than offensive language which can easily be resolved by muting a toxic player.

Thumbs up if you agree.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exploding Barrel

Senior Member

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainofaMonkey View Post
Players who troll or feed ... do not receive nearly the same punishment that players who use "offensive language" do. These players create a very negative gaming experience, yet are rarely punished to the same extent.
Source for your data on this?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrainofaMonkey

Junior Member

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Barrel View Post
Source for your data on this?
Empiricism.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RefleKtionZz

Member

04-02-2013

whilst i agree slightly with intentional feeding etc, as a new player i've been cursed at for not being good as the "XXXranked" player on my team, just because he has played more then me shouldn't allow him to tell me to "@#(%" off or something like that and he should still be punished IMHO i shouldnt have to mute a teammate when this game is based on teamwork & communication.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrainofaMonkey

Junior Member

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefleKtionZz View Post
whilst i agree slightly with intentional feeding etc, as a new player i've been cursed at for not being good as the "XXXranked" player on my team, just because he has played more then me shouldn't allow him to tell me to "@#(%" off or something like that and he should still be punished IMHO i shouldnt have to mute a teammate when this game is based on teamwork & communication.
This is the only game where you can be perma-banned for telling someone to !@#$ off. How about grow a pair and ignore the insult? I never tell anyone to !@$% off, but I will say things such as "yo stop !@#$ing feeding". And I've been perma banned for this.

This is the most strict communication rules I've ever experienced in a game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exploding Barrel

Senior Member

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainofaMonkey View Post
This is the only game where you can be perma-banned for telling someone to !@#$ off. How about grow a pair and ignore the insult? I never tell anyone to !@$% off, but I will say things such as "yo stop !@#$ing feeding". And I've been perma banned for this.

This is the most strict communication rules I've ever experienced in a game.
Why do you say something that you fully expect them to ignore? Seems like a waste of typing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prandine

Senior Member

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainofaMonkey View Post
This is the only game where you can be perma-banned for telling someone to !@#$ off. How about grow a pair and ignore the insult? I never tell anyone to !@$% off, but I will say things such as "yo stop !@#$ing feeding". And I've been perma banned for this.

This is the most strict communication rules I've ever experienced in a game.
To quote one of the in-game tool-tips: "A chat filter is not an excuse to excessively curse!", meaning just because a chat filter and mute feature are in place doesn't give you the right to insult people for not performing to your standards. Trolls and feeders are indeed punished just like foul-mouths, but maybe the reason you don't see them punished as much is because there's more foul-mouths than there are feeders and trolls, so there's that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrainofaMonkey

Junior Member

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prandine View Post
but maybe the reason you don't see them punished as much is because there's more foul-mouths than there are feeders and trolls, so there's that.
Absolutely not. I see way more feeders/terrible players than I do foul-mouths. And the point I'm trying to make is a foul-mouth won't lose you the game. However, trolls/feeders will. You can mute a foul-mouth or just ignore what they say and still win the game just fine. You can not do anything about a feeder or troll other than report them but this won't help you win the game.

I wish that Riot would implement an 18+ server so we could eliminate the majority of trolls and hyper-sensitive players. If you take offense to language, you should probably just avoid the internet altogether and never go outside.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DekiHarder

Senior Member

04-02-2013

It's simple. "Don't be a dick to others."

Instead of "HEY LUX STOP ****ING FEEDING YOU STUPID ****ING NOOB OH MY GOD YOU SUCK SO HARD", say, "Hey, Lux, try to play more defensive from here on. We need to stay alive until late game."

Instead of "HEY SONA ****ING WARD OMFG YOU NOOB WTF", say "Hey, Sona, can you ward river?"

Instead of "HEY VI ****ING GANK BOT INSTEAD OF BABYSITTING TOP ALL DAY WTF STUPID JUNGLER", say "We could use some assistance bot if you get the chance, Vi. Thanks."

For every dick way of saying something, there's an equally positive and constructive wording that actually gets you results other than a 20 minute long argument ending in a loss by surrender because your team can't stop yelling at each other.

People that don't understand that tend to ruin others' games, which is why the Tribunal exists.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KeepCalmAndGank

Junior Member

04-03-2013

Although I do agree that foul mouthing doesn't help much, I find it so funny that many of you think speaking to them in a kind manner will help THAT much more. I myself try to keep a good vibe going in game, and I'll give tips or politely ask for someone to play a bit more strategic/safe or trying not to feed.

Thing is, players will ignore you if they want and continue on with their business no matter how you speak to them. I agree that trolls/feeders deserve greater punishment. They ruin the game for the whole team, where as a foul mouth ruins it for 1-2 players.


12