Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Amatuer division and Tourney changes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stralucire

04-02-2013

Quote:
wingstreet:
i honestly think you learn more by getting stomped by much better people over and over. however making it in to a point system to get in/out of said pro cup is a pretty damn cool idea imo.

The possibility exists that getting stomped over, and over, will eventually temper you into a better player. But this assumes the players will actually return, week in and week out, knowing that they will not merely lose, but that the odds they will get to enjoy the game, much less have a chance to compete, feel less than abysmal.

The path which best creates skilled players is the path that keeps them playing.

NamKim

04-02-2013

Quote:
Sakuri Ono:
I am highly against throwing the Rookie League winners against the highest teams for qualification. Fancy the word up all you like but at the end of the day that's nothing more than a hazing ritual.

The Dominion community is not a gang. It is not a group of bullies looking for a victim to get their schadenfreudistic laughs at. Or at least I'd hope not.

Instead the winner of the Rookie Cup should face the lowest seed team available from the Pro Cup for their match. This proves they have the base level capacity to get by the first round; which is what really matters.

Oh, I was totally trolling with that post. Mostly because at the time, I thought this was just one big late April Fool's joke from Fancy Wolf.

A Slime Appears

04-03-2013

Quote:
Volandum:
I floated this idea a while ago. I think it is unnecessary to change the DD tournament itself, because (as discussed in that LONG thread a while ago about seeding and things) it IS the only tournament. It's also in the correct format (fully seeded (in the correct fashion) bracket event - this seeding incidentally forces the top 4 teams to fight other teams until the semifinals) to get prizes. There currently aren't enough people to fill out two brackets to a sufficient extent. Maybe if DD regularly runs 32+ teams there would be, but when tournaments are hovering at about 11 teams registered by the day this doesn't work.

11 teams? That's all? That seems really low when Buwberry (I think) is offering 300 dollars to SR teams if they can win...

Fancy Wolf

04-03-2013

Quote:
A Slime Appears:
11 teams? That's all? That seems really low when Buwberry (I think) is offering 300 dollars to SR teams if they can win...

well main bracket would have roughly 10 teams who play all the time.

filling up lower bracket wouldnt be too difficult at all

Sakuri Ono

04-03-2013

Quote:
NamKim:
Oh, I was totally trolling with that post. Mostly because at the time, I thought this was just one big late April Fool's joke from Fancy Wolf.

Apologies if it seemed like I was calling anyone in specific out.

My post was more or less directed at past experience from watching DD games. Yours just more or less happened to remind me. XD Basically in the past, whenever an SR team vs a Dom team has been broadcasted the chat in general always took on that 'feeding frenzy' feeling of uncomfortableness. Literally like people were just watching for the slaughter.

You might've been trolling but there are others who would be quite serious about wanting to see that sort of a one-sided pounding.

NamKim

04-03-2013

Quote:
Sakuri Ono:
Apologies if it seemed like I was calling anyone in specific out.

My post was more or less directed at past experience from watching DD games. Yours just more or less happened to remind me. XD Basically in the past, whenever an SR team vs a Dom team has been broadcasted the chat in general always took on that 'feeding frenzy' feeling of uncomfortableness. Literally like people were just watching for the slaughter.

You might've been trolling but there are others who would be quite serious about wanting to see that sort of a one-sided pounding.

And I thought I was being very clever with that post. "Baptism by Fire," have PECS play Fire-based champions...

DiscworldDeath

04-03-2013

Quote:
Fancy Wolf:
But if a bunch of bads are playing bads eventually they will continue to get better against each other, thus increasing their own skill level. The point in matter is, they are not sitting through stomps. Once they advance to pro cup they will have to step up their game again and again in order to advance through the ranks,

Then they should play normals. After 100-200 games they'll begin to get it.
The tournament is there to prove what you're worth, it's not there to learn how the mode works.

That's like going to tests in the university and repeatedly taking only the tests without attending the courses in order to learn the course-matter.

Volandum

04-03-2013

Fancy Wolf: if you think you can fill two brackets just run two tournaments. More RP makes people happier.

Sakuri Ono, Konfetarius actually explained to me at some length the importance of stomps being shown to a general (not dominion veteran) audience to demonstrate the competitive nature of Dominion.

Orphane

04-03-2013

I feel like people who have never played Dominion seriously before should not be able to casually throw together a team the night before Saturday and still succeed in DD. It's a tournament, and that usually implies some sort of competitive knowledge.

Sure, there are some teams that might have stayed around had they not gotten stomped by PECS in round 1 for everyone to see, but there are also a bunch of teams who weren't taking DD seriously to begin with (not banning Kass, etc.) and they probably weren't going to come back anyways after figuring out DD isn't "free RP" for just joining. I'm all for an "novice" tournament that can nuture some sort of middle ground between yolo queue and DD, though.

IronAegis

04-03-2013

I have about 700 wins in Dominion, but I've never joined up with a DD tournament. I would love a starting point in the competitive scene outside getting roflstomped by top teams. I'd even try to put my own team together for a amateur league. If we became skilled enough to take on the big boys on the "Pro" side, then I'd be happy to move up.

Just my own 2 cents.