Amatuer division and Tourney changes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Golly

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamm3rhand View Post
Couple of things, first is the kass ban. Its interesting actually. Our first round last week was versus an SR team. bunch of plat/gold members (they made sure we knew it) and they did in fact ban kassadin. So they knew that he was OP. They did not, however, know that revive was OP, and used that "ghost boots 2 to the windmill to cap it before the other team gets there" strat from the very beginning of dominion (it failed). Thusly, they got stomped. So its clear that its more than just kassadin that is holding these teams back.

i know that there was a lot of top level vs new teams last week, was there any that didn't ban kassadin and used revive? I would be interested in finding out if that happened. I seem to remember seeing a lot of blowouts in the first round anyway so it might not even make that much of a difference.

I think separating into two tournaments is a bad idea simply due to the number of teams. Yes, on occasion we'll have a bunch of teams compete, but lately its been drifting down into the 12-16 team range. If you take out, say, PECS, FTV, enema, Ampu, AE+L? (maybe TSB? as teams that have placed in the past month or two). Then you will probably be flirting with having too few teams to make it a full tourney with riot support. I also don't think we have enough teams to do a proper league format.

I also concur with painkillar's statements.
You don't need 15 teams to have a league/season. It would be a small pool to start with, but after a season you add 1 or 2 teams to the "Invite" league. By then, they realize that Revive is necessary. They understand that ghost/boots2 to windmill won't win. They have an entire season of experience in a competitive scene that they bring with them when they play the higher end teams.

And, under the current system, even if the top 4 teams get 2 byes, the new teams will still end in a stomp at some point. They will still get frustrated and not sign up again. It also makes it even more of an RP farm for the top teams than it already is.

I think it can be done, and probably should be. More importantly, if it's a popular idea amongst new players to Dominion, it will eventually become a thing anyway.

stormfallen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2013

The LCS seems to work with only 8 teams.

Fancy Wolf

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormfallen View Post
The LCS seems to work with only 8 teams.
But LCS has SR backing it ... and Riot...

But as a side Note to Golly's post above yours, Everyone Ive told who is amateur DD (they dont consider themselves good enough to be on a top team or even compete against them) said the idea of an amateur league would be amazing and they would love to try to make a team for it.

You also have to understand if DD gets more hype my stream will get more hype since I explain alot of the stuff im doing and always answer questions from chat, thus hyping DD more since Im on one of the top teams, thus hyping my stream more, which will then Hype DD. reversing the downward spiral of neglect created by Riot.

The bigger the tournament the bigger the crowd, but the tournament needs to be accessible to everyone, and the entry barrier is a little too strong right now.

Also to note on the kassadin pick, he was picked in the last two weeks vs a team who had no idea what they were doing

Fancy Wolf

04-02-2013

Also, the minimum required teams to have Riot give money to a tourney is 8, between the top 4 and the other consistent teams thats about 10?

and getting new teams into DD isnt very difficult, getting them to stick around is.

wingstreet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy Wolf View Post
But if a bunch of bads are playing bads eventually they will continue to get better against each other, thus increasing their own skill level. The point in matter is, they are not sitting through stomps.Once they advance to pro cup they will have to step up their game again and again in order to advance through the ranks,

The major problem is getting stomped 400-0 for the new guys,. and saying that we wont cater to the SR kids who think they can come in and wreck things is pretty much saying " I dont care what happens to Dominion anymore I already have my Free RP.". Those SR kids are potential new teams to help Dom grow, and turning them away only hurts us and the mode.
i honestly think you learn more by getting stomped by much better people over and over. however making it in to a point system to get in/out of said pro cup is a pretty damn cool idea imo.

DSpyder

04-02-2013

Here's an example of a team with Revive and no Kassadin ban.

Fancy Wolf

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingstreet View Post
i honestly think you learn more by getting stomped by much better people over and over. however making it in to a point system to get in/out of said pro cup is a pretty damn cool idea imo.
wings... if youve ever played in a stomp... or simply played against PECS/FTV/Cheese if the teams isnt ready... you would realize that you dont learn anything, it becomes 5 cap and gg.

You have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

NamKim

04-02-2013

Baptism of Fire, the best way to go.

Have an Amateur League, winner goes through the "Baptism of Fire."

Baptism of Fire is going against PECS while they are playing Annie (default skin), Brand (default skin), Zyra (WildFire Zyra skin), Ziggs (default skin), and Maokai (Charred Maokai skin).

Then they can play with the "Big Boys."

If they still want to stay in Amateur League and they win again, they go against PECS again but this time, one of the champions is replaced by Thresh.

Juxxthefluxx

04-02-2013

I like this idea, but then, I would love to participate in DD as it is now too. Just got to get to level 30 first, and buy enough champions, and overall just get better, but still. If I could muster up enough people to make a team, I would love to participate, and the idea of not going up against PECS first round is pretty appealing.

Fancy Wolf

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxxthefluxx View Post
I like this idea, but then, I would love to participate in DD as it is now too. Just got to get to level 30 first, and buy enough champions, and overall just get better, but still. If I could muster up enough people to make a team, I would love to participate, and the idea of not going up against PECS first round is pretty appealing.
As a total fresh 30, going against PECS would be depressing... knowing that theyre trolling you ,,,, would make most of your team give up and not want to compete again....

I would only consider myself slightly above the average player, and PECS is miles ahead me