Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Amatuer division and Tourney changes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FatMii

04-05-2013

Quote:
AlphaFerric:
You're saying a lack of players in DD is the real problem, and Fancy's idea is to bring in more in via a new tournament that would effectively make entrance onto the scene somewhat easier. Unless I've misunderstood something, that's his main goal with it.

Just going to throw this out there, but not enjoying cs'ing for 20 minutes does not mean you have bad mechanics, and coming to Dominion for that reason does not make anyone a bad player. The idea that you even bring up mechanics is amazing. What mechanics? Positioning? Not focusing tanks? Map awareness and timers? If you are good at Dom, you have all of these "mechanical" skills and can carry yourself pretty damn far. The argument you make for not having enough teams to scrim with is just jumping into a catch22. Not enough teams to practice with?, better not look for new ways to add new teams. As for the ladder, being abuseable, that's in Riot's hands atm and has no relevance to Fancy's proposal.

Your reverence for high elo SR players is pretty funny as well. Pro teams got stomped in DD. If they came back they would get stomped again, and it wouldn't require the top 3 to do it.

Fancy, if you get it off the ground, count me in. I've got nothing against a new tournament starting up, and if it means new teams will eventually make their way into the DD arena with more success then I am all for that too. If you need any help getting it off the ground let me know.

I think you misinterpreted my idea of mechanics. I talking about physical mechanics and not decision making. Physical mechanics is not something every possesses which is why some people can't get to Diamond league under the old system. I lack the mechanics to play well in comparison to my friend who is generally better than me at games even though he played less of a game.

To add new teams, I won't support an amateur DD tourney because as I have mentioned it is similar to a bronze player league. The only way to get more players in my opinion is for Riot to first balance the game mode and prove to people there is a reason to play. For hell, do you know how many players I see in Dominion doesn't play in DominateDominion? It is because most players never looked at the forums so they are not aware that it exists. Get those players in before trying to get new players in.

I have already mentioned why an amateur Dominion tournament is stupid especially if it include prizes because you can't restrict anyone from entering.. Hell, if it is based of how well people performed in DD, I would purposefully throw a game just so I can win in the amateur one.

About pros getting stomped in DD. I'm pretty sure they didn't give a **** about it when they entered and just played for fun. They have like under 10 wins for Dominion I assume so how do you expect them to win. With some practice and knowledge they can easily take the throne in DD.

FatMii

04-05-2013

Just another thing I want to toss in. The part about getting destroyed and then leaving. That is because they are not interested in Dominion and they just came with the idea of free RP. It is completely normal imo. The idea you are proposing is a place where everyone wins I assume. If any player sees through your intentions, Dominion would be taken as a bigger joke than before.

LuckoftheD

04-05-2013

Fat, quite aside from the fact that your posts amount to feeble naysaying, draw ineffective comparisons to SR, and are underpinned by a terrible attitude ("Hell, if it is based of how well people performed in DD, I would purposefully throw a game just so I can win in the amateur one.&quot, nearly everything you have posted has already been said earlier in the thread. If you don't have anything to contribute besides "this sucks and here's why," why bother posting? There's a distinction between constructive criticism and destructive criticism, and every post you've made on the last two pages sits in the second category.

wingstreet

04-05-2013

i really like Sauron's idea for a Sunday tournament. fatmii, i really don't think you read much tbh. it's impossible to get triumphant ryze in amateur league as fancy proposed. it would only take the 3rd/4th place prizes from the pro tourney. fatmii is right though. lots of the times it isn't getting destroyed by PECS that makes teams quit. it's the fact that they think dom is a joke and a quick rp grab that does. when they realize they can't just win they leave.

Volandum

04-05-2013

You can't "take" 3rd/4th prize from DD, that's not how prizing works.

I mentioned the sunday tournament earlier, not that it matters.

wingstreet

04-05-2013

oh, i agree Vol. that's just how it was put in the OP.

FatMii

04-05-2013

I recognize that what I said probably has been mentioned already because I didn't have the time to read through 12 pages of text. If this tourney were to only have 3rd-4th place prizes, how do you expect people to play in the tourney? Even Buwberry's 300 dollars attracted 10 teams max. I wouldn't even touch DD if it didn't have a prize and same with DTT. The only way to get more Dominion players is to show people there is a reason to play it and there is a reward to play it. Ranked Dominion might be one of the few possibilities to remedy this but it is still going to be a short term fix similar to what happened with the TT rework. I highly doubt Ranked Dominion is going to happen so I see no reason why any player would invest their time to learn Dominion.

Put yourself in the shoes of a Diamond I player. Would you play ranked SR games for a chance to reach Challenger tier and play in Go4LoL, Mobafire Community Cup etc. or start playing Dominion to win in DominateDominion? I would go with the first option which is why I think Dominion is never going to be as competitive as SR. You need the good players to play Dominion to make it more competitive and it is not going anywhere when those players have goals in SR.

As I have said previously, the argument that SR pros get stomped in DD is invalid because they chose to play in DD for a quick RP grab yet they know nothing about Dominion nor care for the game mode.

War1eader

04-05-2013

Quote:
FatMii:
I recognize that what I said probably has been mentioned already because I didn't have the time to read through 12 pages of text. If this tourney were to only have 3rd-4th place prizes, how do you expect people to play in the tourney? Even Buwberry's 300 dollars attracted 10 teams max. I wouldn't even touch DD if it didn't have a prize and same with DTT. The only way to get more Dominion players is to show people there is a reason to play it and there is a reward to play it. Ranked Dominion might be one of the few possibilities to remedy this but it is still going to be a short term fix similar to what happened with the TT rework. I highly doubt Ranked Dominion is going to happen so I see no reason why any player would invest their time to learn Dominion.

Put yourself in the shoes of a Diamond I player. Would you play ranked SR games for a chance to reach Challenger tier and play in Go4LoL, Mobafire Community Cup etc. or start playing Dominion to win in DominateDominion? I would go with the first option which is why I think Dominion is never going to be as competitive as SR. You need the good players to play Dominion to make it more competitive and it is not going anywhere when those players have goals in SR.

As I have said previously, the argument that SR pros get stomped in DD is invalid because they chose to play in DD for a quick RP grab yet they know nothing about Dominion nor care for the game mode.

This might come a quite a shock to you, I hope you are sitting down... many people play Dominion because it is fun. Also, as Sakuri mentioned many people play in DD for the challenge, for many a few bucks of RP and a skin are just not a big deal.

War1eader

04-05-2013

I think the idea of a Sunday tournament is great. I think the placing teams for Saturdays DD should be ineligible to compete, but should be encouraged to participate, perhaps lending expert commentary to the stream, or interviews between games or something. The prizes should be lower than those of DD, eg the equivalent of 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th to encourage teams to strive to jump to DD. Also this gives midtier teams more opportunity to practice vs each other, which will only help to further prepare them to take down the big game at a later date.

Volandum

04-05-2013

Quote:
War1eader:
The prizes should be lower than those of DD, eg the equivalent of 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th to encourage teams to strive to jump to DD.

You can have full prizes or no prizes, and I suggest full prizes. the equivalent of 5-8th under the DD scale would be $0, ,$-5, $-10 and $-15 in RP, and I'd rather not win those.