Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Amatuer division and Tourney changes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sakuri Ono

04-04-2013

A fair point. Usually I try to avoid the snark if I'm going for a direct debate but every so often it slips out. ~//~;

There's no doubt, at least for me, that RP is the primary motivator behind a majority of the entries. However I think that could just be simply fixed with a different distribution of prizes.

I.E: Reward 1-4st of Pro; 1st only of Rookie. 1st of Rookie = 4th Pro in terms of reward value.

The carrot on the stick then becomes far less tempting.

LuckoftheD

04-04-2013

konf's sole purpose in this thread is to bandy about as a contrarian. Adorable. Skepticism has its merits, but at this point it's redundant. If we want to grow, infighting and dissension are not going to make it work. Collectivizing and at least trying it out for a tournament or two to see how it fares is, to my mind, a viable approach. If it's a miserable failure, as many seem to believe is inevitable, then we revert. If it's not and there are weaknesses here and there, we make adjustments accordingly to account for them.

Volandum

04-04-2013

There's no one stopping you from simply hosting a tournament at a convenient time (try Sunday night) and barring whomever you please from participating. No one will stop you from going around all the teams in DD and inviting them either. Go right ahead. It doesn't take a committee to run a tournament.

You might not get prizes sorted in time for this week though. But that'll give you a chance to test whether it is a problem at all.

konfetarius

04-04-2013

Quote:
Collectivizing

Commie.

Sakuri Ono

04-04-2013

Quote:
Volandum:
There's no one stopping you from simply hosting a tournament at a convenient time (try Sunday night) and barring whomever you please from participating. No one will stop you from going around all the teams in DD and inviting them either. Go right ahead. It doesn't take a committee to run a tournament.

You might not get prizes sorted in time for this week though. But that'll give you a chance to test whether it is a problem at all.

I like the idea of someone doing this on a 'trial basis' but I still think there should be some form of prize for first. Even if it's just $5 of RP per winner (which I think if more than fair for a beta Rookie Cup pot). It'd be worth holding of on a test run until Dominion could at least put that forward. I'd offer myself except for rolling student loans and car payments over the next two cycles. ~_~; Quite possibly later though if beta still hasn't been done by then and is still a viable option.

Volandum

04-04-2013

http://competitive.na.leagueoflegends.com/competitive/prized/submit-tournament

Gogo then. They'll get back to you in 72 hours, and you need to set a date further than 30 days in advance. Make it happen.

Hamm3rhand

04-04-2013

I've been reading through these posts, and two things that have really stuck out to me is either

1) running an "amateur night", where the top X teams won't play in DD. I think that doing this once a month or so would be fine, and a good way to do bolster some interest in the game. I think a rule like "if you win it you have to participate in the real deal before you go again" might be in order though. but thats just details, i think that this has merit.

2) running a competing tournament in which well known teams from DD are barred from participating. While this might be easier to do as it doesn't affect anything with DD, I think the first option would be better as it would keep everything affiliated with DD, as in, everyone who participates would know that its "amateur night" and so they would know that a) they would be somewhat protected from the heavy hitters and b) know that there is enough of a competitive scene to justify a 'learning mode' tournament.

I think we would still need to nail down what "new teams" would be though. for an "amateur night" would we just bar any teams/members that have participated in DD before? that would be quite a large group of people. Just the top 8 or top 4 from the previous week? What is the cutoff for how good a team is?

Volandum

04-04-2013

I don't see why you feel the need to fiddle with DD itself. Just keep it as it is, it's the real tournament.

Hamm3rhand

04-04-2013

Quote:
Volandum:
I don't see why you feel the need to fiddle with DD itself. Just keep it as it is, it's the real tournament.

the only reason is that DD at least has some viewership already that could help spread the word, its established, unlike trying to put up a new tournament where people might not understand why certain people weren't allowed to enter. It might help for clarity, though I would also not mess with DD if possible. I was just putting that up there as an option

Fancy Wolf

04-04-2013

Well if we can get a prize pool for the 1st one I would be willing to host an amateur tournament separate from DD, although that would hurt the tournaments viewing potential incredibly since we wouldn't be getting DD amount of viewers.

But with the amount of hype shown towards the amateur division Im not sure why they're are still people trying to.. reject the the idea? I myself have stated and Golly has also said, were not banning top teams from this tournament because we dont want them to win RP, were banning them so new teams can have a shot and become addicted to dominion. Dominion needs to grow, it is not ok the way it is, it is sitting still and becoming stagnant instead of flourishing into the awesome game mode it can be, and we dont NEED Riot....

Also to touch on Sakuri's note, I joined DD becuase I needed a new challenge (hitting highest rating in SR was my last one), I dont play in the tournaments for the RP, thats a bonus, I play to go and take down the #1 teams. Which is why when I got stomped on Fatmii's team created my own and continued to get stomped, I didnt let the team simply quit, I kept pushing them forward and eventually managed 4th. But not everyone has the same type of drive and dedication ie. Sakuri's learning example. Not everyone can start attempting mountain climbing with Everest, Sometimes they need something easier and gradually work their way up.