Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How Tanky Should Nocturne Be?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExHamster

04-02-2013

Before you down vote, please provide some constructive criticism on my builds. I know that they are terrible, thats why im asking for advices

Build 1
Standard opening -> Spirit Stone -> tier 1 boot -> spirit of eldar lizzard -> merc treads -> atma's -> situational item -> randuins -> situational item

Build 2
Standard opening -> Spirit Stone -> tier 1 boot -> spirit of ancient golem -> berserk's -> atma's -> situational item -> randuins -> situational item

ExHamster

04-02-2013

I use AS/Life Steal Runes btw, so I see no point in getting wiggles

Sephïroth

04-02-2013

Wriggles isn't about Sustain, Wriggles is about clear time. Since Nocturne has such good attack speed, I don't see why you feel the need to grab Spirit of the Lizard as he is not much of an AD Spell caster.

I know you say you want the AD, and that's fine. It still doesn't allow you to clear as fast as the Wriggles does, and you cannot dragon once you complete it like you can with a Wriggles. Also you're more prone to counter jungling as you did not obtain the Armor from the Wriggles either.

As far as the Ancient golem... I don't see how you can live with those clear times and still keep up with ganking.

Just from looking at your build, I'm assuming you are generally 40-50 cs behind for every 100 CS your lane has. (Perfect Lane gets 107 CS if none are missed, Perfect jungle gets 78.) So theoretically you should be 25 cs or so behind. Junglers NEED to clear as fast as possible, as lanes need ganking quickly. Get in, get out, farm.

I don't dislike the idea of Atma's on Nocturne, but you have no health items to back up why you bought Atma's. It does very little without some health items behind it to make it worth while. I just feel like your build would be decimated in ranked play.

Noctuos

04-02-2013

If you aren't getting Brutalizer as your first item, you really need ArPen runes -- hell, a ton of Nocturne players regularly open Brutalizer with ArPen runes. I just opt to get an ArPen item later since I run 9 ArPen reds.

As for the runes them selves, you really don't need the lifesteal runes. Nocturne is a fast enough jungler with built-in sustain that it's not much needed, and add on to the fact that you might be opening Wriggles as well? More than enough sustain. I get wanting to use the lifesteal runes in place of Wriggles, but I don't think it's worth it. Additionally, Nocturne has a built-in speed steroid, which makes ArPen a better idea since they'll scale much better in to the mid and late game.

If you aren't building Wriggles first, you're at least getting Madred's -- unless you're extremely ahead and can just build another AD item before you've even invested in Madred's. Because Nocturne revolves around auto'ing, it makes sense to get Madred's to vastly increase your clear times. Spirit Stone isn't necessarily bad, assuming you're going the Golem route, but between the clear times of Madred's and the option of getting Wriggles as my opening item -- which I always want to be an AD-oriented item -- I've always built Madred's.

On that note, my first item after Madred's, depending on the enemy composition, is either Wriggles (against an AD-heavy team, and for sustain/Dragon control), Brutalizer, Phage or, if I'm really far ahead and their composition is really tanky in the late game, Bilgewater Cutlass -- I usually opt to get this if I've had two or more ganks before my first back, as then I can afford at least Vamp Scepter and boots, or just forego the boots and buy Cutlass straight-up. Some times I even open Hexdrinker if they're pretty AP-heavy -- which is great for late-game, since you can quickly finish a Maw of Malmortius later on. 99% of the time there'll be lifesteal in this first item, though, which is why I've been leaning more towards Wriggles of late, since sustain is important, lifesteal is great on Nocturne, and the Cutlass is often too expensive for a first buy.

Your mid-game damage, thanks to your built-in kit, preferably AD and ArPen runes, and the first item having AD on it, is fantastic; Nocturne was built for mid-game terror if you go this route, so revel in it! With 9-21-0 masteries, he scales fantastically in to late-game building tanky items from here. Usually if the game goes late enough, my last item will be a big damage-dealing one to help level me out a bit and keep me scary to the enemy team; keep them running, and seal my zoning abilities.

What I build after my damage item really depends on the compositions and what I open with, but some common items are Randuin's, Frozen Mallet, Aegis of the Legion (if they've got a nice mix of AD and AP, and are likely to build BotRK), and Locket of the Iron Solari (usually if I'm making quick bank, often off Brutalizer since i'm ahead and the damage from Bruta and CDR from both items is a good combo). If I open Phage, I usually complete Frozen Mallet, then build Brutalizer to catch-up on my ArPen. Depending on the enemy team and flow of the game, I might go straight to Black Cleaver since it's got built-in health, and, hey, you can't really complain about more damage on Nocturne -- especially since I have just built a 700-HP item. You do always want that extra ArPen by this stage of the game, though, so a Brutalizer after Frozen Mallet is what i usually aim for if I didn't open Brutalizer. Some times I can instead skip that late Brutalizer and go straight for Last Whisper, though, if I've got enough money to just straight-up buy it, and they're building more armor than damage.

I may generally be Bronze, but don't let that dissuade you from my advice; Nocturne is the one character outside of Jarvan that I'd say I'm an expert with, and when I play him I'm typically rolling the game with at least a 4-1 KDR and carrying my team to victory.

Hopefully that helps.