Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I Need Help Deciding A Champion To Buy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Project 06

04-01-2013

Im fairly new player, ive had this account for around a week and ive been using Kog Maw, i know this champion really well but one of my friends told me that the list of free champions changes periodically. So i wont have Kog Maw free forever. AI looked at its price and i can afford it through Riot Points, but then i started looking at other champions... Now there are 4 champions i want but i can only afford 3 of them through riot points. These ones are Kog Maw, Xerath, and Thresh. I'll probably get Anivia through Influence Points. So my question is: which champion should i get, Kog Maw, Xerath, or Thresh. Ive already played and know Kog Maw very well, but im slowly getting bored of playing as a single champion. I'd prefer suggestions from people who might've already played as 2 of these 3 so they can compare them.(IF THERE'S A WAY TO TEST DRIVE CHAMPIONS THEN TELL ME ABOUT IT)

OneAlligator

04-01-2013

I'm not a pro at shopping, but here's the advice I would give you, try out the Xerath when he's on free week, and see if you like him or not. Thresh will probably never be on the free week, so if you really lyk his looks and his kit, you can buy him. If I was you, and I enjoy Kog Maw, I would buy him.

Ferroseed

04-01-2013

I play Xerath and he's an excellent choice! his skills are flash and have amazing range, they also stun which is really helpful, if you're thinking about getting him I recommend it

Project 06

04-01-2013

What i might to, since i favor farther ranged champions is that ill buy Xerath with RP and save my Influence Points to buy Kog Maw, however this means i wont be able to buy Anivia. Anyone have some comments to give on the Anivia champion?

Project 06

04-01-2013

I just noticed that the new champions for this week have been selected and none i want to test are listed on it, and i dont feel like waiting another week since Kog Maw isnt free anymore.

What is a Name

Recruiter

04-01-2013

Well I would say Thresh but I don't know if you like playing as a support, I personally own Kog'maw and hes a great champion! He steamrolls people late game as an adc and if you decide to go ap you can easily kill people from long distances. I've never played Xerath but I do have some friends that do, they say hes fun but... yeah. Anivia is known to have a very high learning curve because she is supposedly difficult, although difficult she is also extremely strong and is found in competitive play quite often.

Project 06

04-01-2013

If you mean support as in ill be doing much less combat compared to say, Kog Maw. Then i probably wont play as it since i enjoy fighting much more than primarily sticking with healing and protecting. This is a hard choice now since Anivia is apparently good, i dont mind learning curves because i'd prefer champions that require skill... I might just get Anivia after i gather points after buying Kog Maw and Xerath.

Project 06

04-01-2013

Ive decided to buy Xerath with my Riot Points since ill need to gather ALOT more Influence Points to buy it. All thats left is to decide what to spend my Influence Points on, Anivia or save the points to buy Kog Maw, which im very familiar with.

Snowbi Wan

Recruiter

04-02-2013

If you are a new player I would say it is a good idea to use the free weekly rotation as much as possible. Every week pick a champion or maybe two that you want to learn and try to figure them out. It is impossible to know what your play style will evolve into or how the meta will shift in a few months. I started playing in January and didn't start spending RP on champions until recently.

Remember, Riot is primarily monetizing league of legends by preying on your impatience and desire to personalize/customize. Impatience is something you can deal with. Skins though are a little different. Getting a skin you really like on a champion you play a lot can really enhance your experience and help you really fall in love with a champion. But when you are just starting I think it is better to only unlock champions with IP and try as many different champions as possible during their free week.

AcornGames

04-02-2013

Looks like im late to the party haha

My advice is to refrain from using RP on champions. Its much better to use on Skins or Rune pages once you start to learn a few different roles. If you do buy a champion with RP you have a 90 day period where you can get a refund by clicking the "Other" tab in shop. Each account gets 3 refund tokens, but theres no way to get more so use them carefully.

As far as deciding which champs to buy I recommend checking out the Champion Spotlights on Youtube. Some of them are outdated but the playstyle of each champion has stayed the same.

Because youre a new player id also recommend checking out guides with champions youre struggling to learn before posting threads about them, as most responses will tell you whats already found inside every guide.

Goodluck and have fun Summoner!