The root cause for many LoL Player Behavior Issues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Great Pyrenees

04-01-2013

Is that this game is rated Teen.

Point #1

Some how being rated teen means its ok to curse non stop every single day. This creates a hostile atmosphere where it is impossible for good people to just relax and have a friendly pvp or ranked game. At some point a kid is going to loose their head and toss a string of profanities at you causing un-necessary mental stress.

Why is cursing so necessary in a kids game?

Furthermore what is Riot teaching the youth of America?
All I can see is Yolo and Baylife being taught.

The Bible says the following:
1Cr 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Basically I am suggesting that instead of being a good influence on the youth of America this game is causing the average kid moral harm by what they have to endure on a regular basis.

Possible solutions?
There could be manditory language filters in games.
There could also be a mute all button so we could easily protect ourselves from abuse.

Why should anyone care? Because this type of thing will only breed negative behavior ruining many games and corrupting others. In the end this causes moral and social harm to our society at large. But more to the point the good people like me will only be able to take so much before we are forced to leave the game we love.

Point #2

Riot like to tell kids that if they practice hard enough they can become professional paid players of LoL. Yes this is true it is possible. Though very hard to accomplish.

But this also breeds an environment of the games feeling like a Job which we must perfectly execute at every second. Instead of just being an enjoyable free game to play and have fun. In season 3 even Normal pvp is far more stressful to play than it used to be. I do not want to be stressed out by playing a game, I want to have fun and be entertained.

But back to point 1. Even if a kid becomes a challenger in this game. If he lacks certain social skills (Skills that are being eroded in this game by all the evil communications) then all the skill in the world will not secure him a perminate position in a paid team.

For example look at what recently happened to team TSM.

There is an illusion that we are creating professional players. But the reality is that we are hurting a large portion of the player base that is simply casual and wants to have a good time.

Today I played my last Ranked game. We were facing a superior team and at the first sign we were in trouble the entire team starting cursing each other out, placing blame and begging the other team to report certain players. I muted them did my best, ended the game with a respectable score. Then promptly decided that I could not handle the stress of Ranked play anymore. I am an adult and in my everyday life I do not need to read words from a kid telling me to perform sexual acts upon him or to kill myself. I weep for the future of LoL and this country as a whole.

TLDR: It is time to foster an atmosphere of a fun free to play casual game. The fact is a kids game should not be full of people who are allowed to spew as much immoral filth as their tiny minds can muster. A simple fix would be to disallow cursing in the game.

Rainbowgasm

04-01-2013

there is being rude to people, and then there is raging at the situation, maybe you are vocally pissed because you are irritated at your own performance, or because they always seem to be a step ahead of you. If you can't handle playing with the Vegitas and Piccolos in ranked, go play with the Krillins and Yamchas in custom games.

Inishi

04-02-2013

If cursing places mental stress on you, I would advise staying away from online games that have chat features. I would also advise against going clubbing, partying, sports, concerts (unless it's a concert for kids, like a sesame street cover band), using the metro, and going out with girls with daddy issues.
You even quoted the bible. This is the internet, people use curse words like spacing between words. Uptight morals will only get you further stressed out in this environment.
A kid saying profanities he can't really understand? Hilarious. Wrong, but hilarious. An angry kid spouting a stream of hatred and profanities at me? He's a kid. It's hilarious and stupid.
To adress your points:
There is no mute all button, but you hold tab, and with one click you can mute a player, 9 short clicks, and you've muted all.
There is no mandatory language filter, but the filter they have is on by default. So you have to purposefully uncheck it. For some people cursewords are additives that used on the rare and right ocassions deliver humor, emphasis, and better communicate emotions. I would find it imposing and ridiculous to deny adults the use of curse words.
Your next points, about there being the possibility for people to become pros.
Sure, some people do take this seriously and train. This is specially true for ranked. Ranked is not just for fun, it gives you a rank, it gives you a shiny badge, it gives you prizes at the end of the season, it is not just for fun. I play very seriously in Ranked matches (I still spout jokes every second, but I am completely dedicated to the match). In normal matches, I don't care if we lose. I don't feed, but I do try unconventional builds, I try odd compositions with friends, but above all we have fun. If you can't have fun with people playing seriously, don't play ranked. If you can't have fun with people cursing, mute everyone. And if you can't have fun despite other people, then avoid multiplayer games.

Player Someone

04-02-2013

Nice, bible quote.

Great Pyrenees

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th StormRider View Post
there is being rude to people, and then there is raging at the situation, maybe you are vocally pissed because you are irritated at your own performance, or because they always seem to be a step ahead of you. If you can't handle playing with the Vegitas and Piccolos in ranked, go play with the Krillins and Yamchas in custom games.
1) I am a bronze player and I deserve to be there
2) I am not raging, I offered a concise explanation for the root of LoL behavior issues
3) I said I was quitting ranked in my statement which I doubt you read

If you think my statement was raging then you have never read a single tribunal case ever.

Great Pyrenees

04-02-2013

@ Inishi

You are correct being cursed out does cause me mental stress. I take full advantage of the Mature language filter. I can tell you it blocks almost none of the curse words I see thrown about. And the examples you gave, I do not do any of those things by choice. I choose to live a happy, peaceful and Godly life. I try my best not to associate with the baser elements found in this life.

I quoted the Bible because it is the ultimate expert on life situations and the verse was relevant to the conversation. Fact: evil communications (cursing, raging) corrupt good manners (lowers the morality of others). The whole point of my post is that profanity is not only un-necessary it is causing a cycle of mental anguish. Teaching kids its ok to be immoral and lowering the morality of other kids in the process. It is the very essence of evil.

Just because someone is a kid does not mean that they should be allowed to curse. In fact I suspect the rod of correction would fix that problem in a heartbeat. I do not expect LoL to spank kids, however it could be a positive influence in the lives of innocent children instead of contributing to their delinquency.

I would like to thank you for the Tab click suggestion. But isnt it sad that a person would need to do that at all? I find such a thing tedious. It would be simpler if profanity was against the Summoners Code. The summoners code is a nice idea but falls short in this area.

For some people curse words are additives? I suppose to spice up a conversation? Let me tell you that is a lame excuse for ignorance.
Cursing is the inability to articulate oneself in a reasonable manner.

To your point the Mature Language filter only catches a tiny portion of the profanities I see tossed about. I know this because it has ALWAYS been on for me the entire time I have been playing this game.

This is a teenage game do you suppose this is the correct forum for adults to be spewing their verbal filth making evil impressions on the youth of America? I would suggest to you that Adults have a responsibiltiy to be a better example.

Just because there is a Ranked option in a game is not a excuse to treat our fellow man like trash. People need to learn to be good team mates, how to properly communicate and how to treat others with respect. I am simply ponting out that of the 12 million NA players there are in fact only a few professional players. Do you even read these forums every day? This is a known concern for the entire LoL community.

To your last 3 suggestions to me.
1) I can have fun when I am trying hard to win, what is not fun is being verbally degraded by someone over a video game. It is well established that Riot does not support this type of negative harrasment.
2) The fact is not everyone curses. I want to make friends every day I play. If I mute everyone every game then I will loose out on a potential good friend. But it is very sad that you would suggest that muting everyone would be the only solution to a obvious problem.
3) I have a very large friends list. I have a LOT of fun with this game. I am in the top 1% of positive people who play this game. I do not want to HAVE to avoid online games, I simply want to offer a helpful suggestion to a issue which has not been properly addressed by Riot in my opinion.

I thank you for your suggestions. At the end of the day cursing is unnecessary in this game and it only brings down the moral of the team.

Great Pyrenees

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman philip View Post
Nice, bible quote.
Thank you I was going to add these verses as well.

1Cr 5:6 Your glorying [is] not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

1Cr 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

I knew I would get some immediate anti-bible rage. But when there is a moral issue there is no greater Wisdom to turn to.

Flyingbox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2013

Saw the thread. Opened it. Saw "bible"

Oh hell no we're not doing this. This isn't anti-bible rage, this is spotting purposeful controversy which will make the thread go down with explosions. This NEVER ends good.

Recreant888

04-02-2013

Please, let's not make this a game centered around biblical principles. I'd like for my kids to be able to play it.

SenStill

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2013

Maybe if you took the words "teen" and "kids" out of the post, people would take you more seriously...