I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryoden13

04-01-2013

When I play draft I usually either win or dominate. But whenever I dare to try ranked, I get crushed with the same champs I usually win with. I have been playing draft for a while now with ~200 wins in it and am decent at csing. What am I doing wrong? And also Riot put me in Silver 5 during placement and I am guessing that was a stupid mistake by the placement system.

Gulma

04-01-2013

Well first of all, you're building over the 40% CDR cap. You also have strange runes you should have AP quints for lux not AS.

Miezner

04-01-2013

I see that you mostly use Lux in your games. I would have to watch your games to see what it is you need improvement on.

Sometimes it isn't your fault when you lose in ranked. Your teammates can have a great impact on the game if even one person gets shut out.
See in normal games you are paired with just about anyone. In ranked, everyone you play with or against is "statistically" supposed to be at your level.

(Analysis) - You have good cs most of the time. Could be better, try to aim for at least 225 cs by level 18. Creep score and your build shows me that your laning phase isn't usually an issue for you. So it must be during team fights that you flounder. You probably already know this about Lux but she is best at the back of the team. Toss in the E + Q + W for your team. And I would wait till you can line up a good R to use it. Also, learn to use Lux's ult to steal away Baron, Red and Bluff buffs from the enemy.

That's all the advice I can really give. Your stats show that you are consistently a good player. It most likely is your team comp/communication that is the issue.

AcornGames

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miezner View Post
I see that you mostly use Lux in your games. I would have to watch your games to see what it is you need improvement on.

Sometimes it isn't your fault when you lose in ranked. Your teammates can have a great impact on the game if even one person gets shut out.
See in normal games you are paired with just about anyone. In ranked, everyone you play with or against is "statistically" supposed to be at your level.

(Analysis) - You have good cs most of the time. Could be better, try to aim for at least 225 cs by level 18. Creep score and your build shows me that your laning phase isn't usually an issue for you. So it must be during team fights that you flounder. You probably already know this about Lux but she is best at the back of the team. Toss in the E + Q + W for your team. And I would wait till you can line up a good R to use it. Also, learn to use Lux's ult to steal away Baron, Red and Bluff buffs from the enemy.

That's all the advice I can really give. Your stats show that you are consistently a good player. It most likely is your team comp/communication that is the issue.
Hello! Just came in to check out the thread and I don't have any useful info for the OP. Im just curious if you would consider Clairovoyance and Flash as viable summoner spells for stealing objectives while playing Mid as Lux.

TeknoWizard

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephCrossheart View Post
Hello! Just came in to check out the thread and I don't have any useful info for the OP. Im just curious if you would consider Clairovoyance and Flash as viable summoner spells for stealing objectives while playing Mid as Lux.
Not really.

To the actual issue, the issue is exactly what you said. You have 200 wins. I didn't know how to play well at 200 wins. It's just the fact that you're more likely than not, still figuring out how to play.

Miezner

04-01-2013

Lux's E already provides minor vision in the area it is cast. So she could cast it into the nearby blue buff pen and then use both it and her ult to secure the kill. No need for clairvoyance really, unless you intend to do group ganks in the jungle often.

AcornGames

04-01-2013

Ah I see. Ill try it out sometime for fun. It would be hilarious to steal enemy blue from across the river once you hit level 6 xD

Enfillyon

04-01-2013

It sounds like your issue is closing out games. The main objective is destroying nexus and if theirs isnt blowing up, youre not winning the game.

I can't directly tell you how to close out games because every game is unique, but a few things to keep in mind instead will help you finish what should be easy games.

Baron is a giant throw magnet. If you don't need it to win, don't get it. I'm confident enough to say that 80% of my loses come from getting baron at the wrong time and it's the reason why it's at the top of this list. To a lesser extent dragon but baron is king of forcing throws.

Let's say you attempt baron, but the other team contests it. If you're in the pit not only are you taking damage from the other team but from baron itself. AND it can knock you into the air putting a giant target onto your head that says this person can't do anything, let's kill her/him. If youre the carry, youre most likely dead and your team lost the fight and now that baron is weakened the enemy took it without a hassle.

That's pretty bad but what happens if you take it? Well, good for you, but if you didn't take it in under 20 secs thats a huge chunk of someones death timer on the other team. If you aced them and decided to go for it instead of the half dead turret minions were pushed up to then you lowered your chances of winning the game sooner. But we got baron!? Cool, i hope you can group up and take objectives with it as a team or it will be wasted.

The game isn't about how many minions you killed or your KDA. The thing you need to hold most important is objectives. There are different methods of taking objectives but you need to be able to prioritize one over the other. Dragon and Baron respawn, but turrets stay dead and many times, counterplay is more important than reactionary plays.

If 5 men are bot, then right away you should be thinking in your head no ones pressuring mid or top and you are free to take turrets. Ideally you get those turrets and prevent them from taking yours but thats asking a lot if both teams are even in gold amount and skill. You have to be willing to trade because playing a perfect game consistently just isn't be possible. Take that same scenario where instead of taking turrets you went bot and helped your team but they still took turret but you didnt take theirs, then you lost the trade. Mid lane is very influential in these types of plays because they are the closest to the other lanes and have the shortest distance to cover. Lux for example is really good at roaming because of the range her spells can cover. She can gank, counter gank and provide other utilities for her team. Mid laners are players who are the play makers of their team. Top is far and them roaming usually means a lost turret. Jungler doesn't get the amount of experience and gold you do so they will be slightly behind if they don't snowball from a gank and bot is usually stuck just farming until late where the ADC's usefulness skyrockets. Understanding the balance and relationships of the lanes can help you decide your priorities and ultimately help you win the game so don't just sit in the lane you win and instead help your successfulness bleed into the other lanes.

Long read but I hope it helps when closing out games. Whenever I read posts about people winning lane but losing the game its usually because they can manage themselves fine but they can't manage the team. You won't always know what the right calls were until the game is done but the more experience you get the better accuracy you get from those calls.

TL;DR
-Baron king of throws
-Objectives over everything else (Turrets>Dragon/Baron>KDA)
- Counterplay (don't be afraid to trade objectives if there is nothing you can do about losing one)
- If you win your lane, help the other lanes (ie: if your top is feeding like a boss, coordinate with your jungle to double gank because even if you go by yourself you may end up feeding top a double and dig a bigger hole for yourself)

M3GaL0d0n

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfillyon View Post
*Clipped YOLO
You say farm, kills or assists aren't worth anything but then say objectives, which give little more than large amounts of gold, are worth something? Make sure your posts at least don't contradict themselves. The game revolves around being able to decide which objective to take and when.

I like the rest of this quote. It just doesn't have a lot of detail on decision making.

First off, farm is important, its arguably the best source of gold in the game. You want to know why carries aren't important until like 1400 ELO and above? Because if you cannot farm you won't deal damage, and you can forget about those precious objectives. Kills are also important, because gold aside, having a champion who cannot push lanes or support objectives isn't going to help. An example is if you can kill an enemy jungler you are usually free to do dragon because as long as your own jungler is alive you can secure it.

Dragon and Baron are also very important. If you spectate at all, you will see that sometimes when a team is down even 5 or 6 kills, if they have a dragon kill, they will be around the same gold. If they have two dragon kills, they can be down ~10 kills and still have roughly the same gold. In pubs, a single dragon usually snowballs harder than any other gold source in the game. Usually.

Baron is also important for team fights because you gain a very powerful buff by killing it. However, you should not take it if the enemy team is a threat, either push the lanes so hard the enemy is forced to spend time counter pushing, or kill them. If you cannot beat the enemy in a fight, you would be better off pushing because it is how you avoid fights.

Remember that pushing a lane means the enemy now has to push the lane back up to the turret before they can attack it safely. So split pushing is a good way to play defensively. If you keep pace and keep the minions off your turrets, they won't take any damage. This can also be used offensively. I once played a game as Cho'Gath who can clear waves well and was able to keep the enemy minions from getting close to a turret in my lane, preventing a safe push by the enemy team. Meanwhile my team pushed turrets in other lanes and they eventually took them because the enemy team wasn't counter pushing any other lanes.

Be aware in other cases, pushing very aggressively puts, "Pressure," on a lane and will usually summon the enemy team to the lane to defend it, usually causing a fight. The same can happen with objectives. Wards are key here because as an enemy moves between lanes you can gank them and you can snowball your advantage in a fight before they respawn. Wards are key anyways. But being able to discern where you want to be and when is important.

Another problem that can occur is that you get a "Base race" which both teams skip countering and simply attack the nearest pushed turret and try to take them faster than the enemy team, who is doing the same. Winning a base race can be done one of three ways. Either by ignoring the enemy and out pushing them and taking an inhibitor first. Or by defending while part of your team pushes the enemy base and takes turrets before the enemy can push through your defense. Sometimes you simply cannot push well enough either way and you need to force a fight, this isn't a bad idea, but you cannot dive into the enemy team alone, so make sure your team makes up their mind. You need to decide which method is going to win you the match and you need to make it fast.

tl;dr

You are a lazy butt, read the post, or do not read the post.

P.S. I feel like I didn't emphasize this enough in my post, I don't feel like rewriting it. If you cannot out push the enemy, you must fight them so you are free to push. If you cannot fight them, you must out push them so you can avoid fighting them. Most champions are either strong pushers, or strong fighters. Some are both, but you need to figure out which strategy you want to pursue as a team.

P.S.S. I just recapped my post didn't I... dangit.

Enfillyon

04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GaL0d0n View Post
You say farm, kills or assists aren't worth anything but then say objectives, which give little more than large amounts of gold, are worth something? Make sure your posts at least don't contradict themselves. The game revolves around being able to decide which objective to take and when.
I lol'd at the clipped YOLO
Sorry I was confusing. I know what I meant but I guess its hard to translate.

In a very broad sense the game is about making money so you can buy items so that you can push objectives. If you dont get kills in lane then the only way to get an income is through the minions. I didnt mean that the minions themselves arent important, just that the number of them you killed at the end of the game dont really tell the whole story of how a game played out.

As a recent example I played Kat and my CS was absolute garbage but I made gold by killing champions instead and was able to create pressure that way over my midlane counterpart who farmed and sat in lane all game (granted my teammates decided to kill his turret at 5 mins in lol). He didnt die a lot, however I took his turret and roamed for a few kills before he finally took mine. The gold advantage was mine but not through farming creeps.

On my point about baron and dragon, i explained baron, but drag needs a little clarity. Dragon is great for getting global gold however after a certain point in the game where everyone starts completing item builds it becomes less relevant, and Ive lost a few games from teammates that went to dragon instead of where the team was even though everyone was capped on items and it cost us the victory. Unlike baron, dragon doesnt give you anything outside of gold and exp so when your lvl 18 and have 6 items theres no point in getting it any longer other than to maybe deny it from the other team who i would assume is probably in the same state you are itemwise and also have no need for it.