Phreak, the Minion Master, Revealed

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 29
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

04-01-2013
1 of 16 Riot Posts

Phreak, the league's first megalomaniacal mastermind is about to hit the Fields of Injustice. Playing this champion means knowing how to balance between massive control and tons of damage. Here's your first look at what this cowardly mastermind can do.

• Throne of Torment (Passive): Phreak is unable to leave the summoning well once the game has started. However, every lane generates two additional caster minions per wave (one in Twisted Treeline or the Crystal Scar).
  • Knight of Darkness: Phreak can cast this ability near an allied tower or ward to create a highly armored, permanent minion who will join the next creep wave. Activating Knight of Darkness a second time with a target will cause the Knight to charge through an enemy creep wave into an enemy hero.
  • Squad of Flame: Phreak conjures a group of skeletal archers with flaming arrows. These minions will automatically join the next wave of creeps to pass by. Activating the ability again will cause the entire group of skeletal archers to focus fire that target.
  • Portal of Shadow: Phreak opens a portal at the target location, which must be within 500 units of an allied tower or one of Phreak's minions. When two portals are open, the next allied champion to touch the portal will travel to the other portal.
  • Cameo Appearance: Phreak, tired of leaving the dirty work to his minions can appear anywhere on the map for 20 seconds. While on the battlefield, Phreak's ranged attacks have a chance to slow the target movement speed and using a minion ability grants his next attack bonus damage based on his base attack damage.

Gameplay:

Phreak is a unique, macro-centric lane pushing champion. What the loses in mobility, he gains in omnipresence. Phreak can have an effect on every lane or can provide a safe, efficient way to clear the jungle.

In lane: Phreak's ability to bolster whichever lane needs the most help grants him a massive tactical advantage over the battlefield. Putting points into Knight of Darkness early on will give you access to low cooldown crowd-control and lane disruption. Upgrading Squad of Flame will give you heavy wave-pushing and on-demand burst damage.

In the jungle: Phreak's minions naturally gain the effect of any jungle buffs that Phreak possesses. The bonus damage and slow from red buff allows him to provide extra control in lane, while blue buff lets him push lanes even harder. However, proper use of Portal of Shadow will allow him to save a lane in dire need by bringing an ally from another lane instantly.

Team Fights: Phreak's minions are often overlooked in a team fight, granting your team significant additional damage and movement disruption. Smart summoners will prepare a Portal of Shadow ahead of time to provide a quick escape for an allied champion in trouble. However, wise use of Cameo Appearance can swing the tides of battle, by bringing tons of damage to into a team fight.

Lore:

Phreak started out as a pauper in the streets of Noxus. Weak and frail, Phreak was often kicked aside and disregarded as stronger warriors stole his food and few possessions. However, what he lacked in strength he made up in tactical awareness and raw malice. He often set stronger soldiers at odds with each other, then scavenged their possessions for food and weapons.

After years of practice, Phreak's hunger for power grew, but tactical prowess alone means nothing without soldiers to command. During the Noxus invasion of Ionia, Phreak had the fortune of setting two acolytes of the Institute of War against each other. In the resulting Chaos, Phreak snatched up the parcel they were carrying and snuck away into the sewers.

In the murky darkness, he opened the package to reveal a dull, runed stone, etched with charcoal darkened symbols. He frowned with disgust, as a stone is a worthless tool on the street. He took the stone in hand and prepared to throw it out into the ocean when a dark voice filled his mind.

"Bring... it... to... me..."

Phreak spun around and attempted to flee when the voice entered his mind again.

"You will be well rewarded, young mortal...

The markings of the stone had turned red and glowed like magma. Phreak attempted to hurl it away, but he simply couldn't look away from the stone. An image opened in his mind... of a gateway, a door, deep beneath the Institute of War.

Months passed as Phreak begged, fought and clawed his way across Valoran. Finally, after weeks of carefully watching the guard movements, Phreak was able to break into the caverns deep beneath the Institute. His hands trembled as he crawled blindly through the darkness, lead by the glowing light of the stone.

Finally, he arrived in front of the ancient stone doorway. It was rather mundance except for the 13 empty sockets that surrounded the door. Overwhelming darkness gushed forth from the doorway like billowing smoke from a blacksmith's forge. As he crept close, he heard the voice again, this time directly before him.

"Well, done... now... hand it to me..."

"No!" shouted Phreak. "I refuse to help you until you tell me what you can do for me."

"Wise. What is it that you desire...?"

"An army. I never wish to be another creature's pawn again. I wish to command and show those who spat upon me what I am capable of doing."

"Very well. I shall grant you a portion of the power that the grand summoners have stolen from me. Even now, they summon my children into eternal battle above. But you... you shall command them in ways those summoners could never imagine."

A black claw formed at the edge of the door long enough to hurl a black, clouded crystal before Phreak. He recognized the shape... it looked much like the nexus crystals used by the summoners of Valoran. He quickly grasped the crystal in hand and screamed out as the burning surge of power ran up his arm and into his mind. His eyes went dark, losing the quiet blue luster they once held.

"... I understand, now."

"Very good. Now place the Demonstone you have acquired into the door frame. I will grant you whatever portion of my power you need to seek out the other 12 holders of the stones. When we find them all... you shall help me rule over all of Valoran."

Phreak returned to the surface and presented himself before the Institute of War. Shocked by a peasant able to command the power of minions, he was suspiciously accepted into the League.

"I am no man's puppet." -- Phreak

Congratulations to the Splash Screen Winner:
Attachment 651564
Attachment 651561

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2013

Gibe me tons of damage pls

hue

Izzabelle

04-01-2013

Seems legit

Selomorbos

04-01-2013

are those spose to be broke?

Ben is stupid

04-01-2013

Tons of damage

VYT Lixir

04-01-2013

dat filename

Gaelion

04-01-2013

riot pls

Larias

Adjudicator

04-01-2013

Attachment 651239

Netteh

04-01-2013

Oh my, sandwiched between Larias and Peach Godess
The idea of a champion who doesn't leave the spawn fountain is interesting

He has awesome dance moves, right? Riot pls

Peach Goddess

04-01-2013

It's Barn remade!!

Attachment 651292

1234511 ... 29