Dominion Community Council Suggestions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kirillian

04-01-2013

So I've been brainstorming with various people for the past few weeks and have had some thoughts as well as have been hearing others who have had similar discussions as well. The Dominion community is small, but very vibrant despite it being propped up by (largely) the work of one man - The Feedski, along with a few volunteers who have flitted in and out of the scene. Lately I've seen an increase in desire from people to help the community (maybe I'm wrong, but it feels like a lot of people really want to help) and I want to help facilitate this.

So what are the problems that needs addressing?
1. We don't have an EASY way for people to volunteer their time and energies
2. We don't have a really solid, authoritative way to provide help to those who want it.
3. We don't have good PR.

What solutions do we have right NOW and why aren't they good enough.
1. We have DominateDominion.com and a support@dominatedominion.com email that people can contact Feedski at. We also have people that are in chat most all day that answer questions and try and help people get into contact with Feedski. However, while this communication is workable somewhat, it's not really efficient and its full of noise. As a community, if you have a suggestion for the site or wanted to help out, how many of you know who to contact? I know that Digikid was working on the site a while back, but is he still doing so? How about Feedski? He's so busy with school a lot of times that he can be hard to get ahold of.
2. We have the Sauron guides, Nekrogen's beginner guide, and some resources on DD.com, but there aren't very many guides on DD and Mobafire is full of noise...too many bad guides that it's hard to tell what's good and what's bad. There's some one-off's like Quincunx's good Kayle Guide on SoloMid.net, but all in all, there's not really a single place that people can go to. DD.com's performance is abysmal (though, I'm working with Feed on getting new hosting as that is likely a big part of the problem...though it's still not going to solve everything until we get a full on web-designer and maybe can move to a better Content Management System than Wordpress). One thing that will GREATLY help us is getting DominateDominion to be an awesome one-stop shop for Dominion, but that's probably going to require a lot of volunteer hours. But where can these volunteers go to sign up?
3. We have TERRIBLE PR. No offense to The Feed...he's only one man...but we don't have an "official" Dominion community place where people can go to find out why we hate Kassadin so much or what champs we think are broken. People hear this stuff through the grapevine and sometimes it gets warped. At the same time, we don't effectively get the message out to other SR players about how awesome Dominion is (thanks to everyone who DOES try, but it's a hard job...).

So what can we do?
I propose a committee or a council.
- We need a way to delegate the responsibilities so that Feedski doesn't need to handle everything himself...Perhaps including the following responsibilities (this is what I could think of that we need off the top of my head): Tournament Administrator (handles organizing DD tourney...perhaps including as Fancy or others have suggested, a Silver league one?), Website Admin (we need to handle both the technical aspects of hosting/platform and the content of the site...this might need to be split among multiple people depending on our situation), PR Coordinator (someone who will coordinate PR for us...Feed...you're our current "FACE"...you would be a good start, but you will probably need some help). We would also probably want some way for community members to have voice in the direction of Dominion, but we want to keep noise out of it. We could also use some voice and direction from Riot if possible...but that would require them volunteering for it.
- The council/committee would need to regularly report to the community in some way as well as regularly meet to get things done.
- One member of the council having a life problem or taking a break from the game shouldn't cripple the entire thing. We should be able to replace members when needed and catch people up on what is going on.

I propose we do a few things to try and get something going:
- Schedule a few Raidcall general meetings to elicit suggestions from the community and get some discussion in realtime. This is going to make it difficult for some people to attend since we have Dom players all over the globe. I suggest we have a couple different times with perhaps a couple different moderators and we pool various thoughts in a few forum threads for the time being or perhaps in a wiki?
- Bump this thread with suggestions so that we can come up with ideas. I will attempt to keep this thread edited with most of the suggestions in an easy to read format.
- Discuss better formats for having this discussion.

TL;DR; Let's help Feedski

Reference Thread in GD: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=36250356

kirillian

04-01-2013

I had a bit of a chat with Volandum earlier today about this, so I want to post some of the points made in chat:

Quote:
Volandum: The problems with a lot of committees is that they have a lot of points of failure. When people can't meet their responsibilities.
We need to consider this as we design a solution.

Quote:
Volandum: So what is the mission of your organisation.
9:56 kirillian: to be that group…a place where people can get information about the game and about helping…a place that is sponsored and maintained by the community at large for the benefit of the community at large...
Quote:
kirillian: ...we have no way of channeling the energies of various volunteers into actual deliverables because the organizational aspect is broken…its to be expected…for the most part…much of the administration is done by people with little experience in it…sure…committees and councils are not perfect…but they DO accomplish something…DELIVERABLES…we can get things DONE if we have a place that people can look up to as being an authority…people will volunteer if it's EASY for them to do so…they WONT if its hard…people will more readily be able to get help if it's easy to get help (hence getting DD back up and running) but will just run away if it's hard
I kinda went on a rant here, but the point is that if it's EASY for people to help, then they WILL help...if it's too hard for people to find a way to help, we are losing out on their help many times...only the most dedicated will stick around if we don't have an easy way. For example, I have between 5 and 10 hours a week that I could reasonably dedicate to DD. However, I have a LOT of experience with, programming, webhosting, and the management of these projects that I could bring to bear in the right situation. I might not be a hero programmer putting out tons of code, but I can help organize and help us find tools that will make it happen, and if you're a college/high school kid that is learning to code, sometimes it's hard to find the tools, but you have a great mind/knack for coding. By organizing and working together, we help to pair up various people with different skillsets and produce a complete solution.

People often fail to understand just how much time and effort it takes to make things like DD happen and having an organization to disseminate that information will help people to temper expectations and volunteer some time to make it happen.

Volandum

04-01-2013

I would prefer meetings to be in a text format (e.g. like a wiki discussion page) as this provides an attributed record and doesn't require people to gather in one place and time.

Eloquid

04-01-2013

Nice initiative, but seeing how Feedski's hyper upvoted and bumped thread is being ignored by Riot in GD, I'm starting to think it's all fighting the windmills (ha, pun). We can discuss all day long, but if Riot is keeping ignoring us as they are, we can't achieve anything.

kirillian

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloquid View Post
Nice initiative, but seeing how Feedski's hyper upvoted and bumped thread is being ignored by Riot in GD, I'm starting to think it's all fighting the windmills (ha, pun). We can discuss all day long, but if Riot is keeping ignoring us as they are, we can't achieve anything.
I don't think it's all hopeless. Riot may be holding out on communicating with the Dom community and that's EXTREMELY frustrating, but do consider this...as a community, we have become rather difficult to deal with too...we WANT tons of stuff...and Riot maybe doesn't have the resources to do much in a timely manner just yet...things take time to develop and make happen and everything that Riot DOES do for us has been met with tons of complaining and noise. They only have a small group working on TT, Dominion, and ARAM while they have most of their workforce working on SR much of the time...that small group has to work as well as handle PR. While I can't completely take the blame away from Riot, we aren't their priority and we know it, but we're still often acting like spoiled children. That's gotta make it hard on Nome or the others. To be fair, Riot really needs to do a MUCH better job of communicating, but we need to be willing to act better if we want to get anywhere.

If we build the community ourselves and manage it well, We won't NEED Riot to be honest (except to keep servers on and fix Brand's not bouncing ult).

Eloquid

04-01-2013

^ well you have something here, but don't underestimate their ignorance. Enabling Dom ranked or at the very least bringing back old capability to see hidden elo would shut many mouth and make so many Dom players happy, and it only takes few mouse clicks. To those who think that ranked Dom is such a big deal that it needs massive rethinking on Riot's part because of possibly unforseen consequences on core SR gameplay and community (like, perhaps starting to have some respect for game mode and its players?), consider the fact that TT has it from beginning, and it's pretty obvious how failed and snowbally farmfest that gamemode is, and it is still in beta. I'm not talking about good old TT, which was much better despite all its flaws (also could have been solved with few mouseclicks instead of wasting time on creating completely new map that majority of old 3v3 players don't seem to like.

So, it doesn't seem so much the question of "limited" Riot resources, but of very badly allocating existing ones. I really think this game and Riot as a company would profit more in the long run if all those game designers that frantically work on new champs that are being released like a plague every two weeks (until when?) would put their time and energy to more crucial purposes, at least for some period of time until old and lingering things this game is cursed with are resolved.

NamKim

04-01-2013

-Fancy Wolf is currently in the process of making video tutorial videos. I would suggest that the high elo players assist him in that with ideas. Fancy Wolf can definitely be one of the people in charge of making guides.

-Any PR person has to, absolutely has to, have some sort of high ranked on the other maps. If I became the PR person, no one would listen to me because I got bronze on SR. It should at least be Gold so people know that "this guy knows what he's talking about." In the future, it can be different, but the way Dom is now, it has to be someone who can get some sort authority.

-Who is the guy we report to? Is TheFeedski? If we don't have one centralize leader, then it's hard to get stuff done in a timely fashion. It doesn't have to be a permanent position, just someone who can keep tabs on everyone and see what's going on and help out if needed.

-The council should be small. Big ones makes no progress.

-Try to get the conversations recorded. Unless someone is a "secretary" and takes minutes. This is important because like you said, you have players all over the world.

-TheFeedski suggested creating "DominateGaming" so he can combine DominateDominion and DominateTT. Maybe you might want to see if the TT community might be willing to be a part of this. Especially for PR reasons.

-Gandair's Dominate Breakdown, promote it. He hasn't done one in awhile but he gets high elo players as guests and discuss new patch changes, new champions, etc. It's something that is more helpful for people who already got their feet in the Dominion pool waters but a great resources for them to improve.

-Fancy Wolf did something for his second tutorial video that I really liked. He played while commentating why he was doing something. If you can get some high elo players to do that and make a YouTube library of it, it would be a great resource. In fact, it doesn't even have to be the high elo player. All he has to do is get a replay of it to someone who can convert it into some manageable and someone can dub over it.

-Interviews, interviews, interviews. People like me, and probably a lot of other people likes to know what our high elo players are thinking. Controversial or not.

-Take advantage of that Dominate Dominion YouTube channel. Make it the best Dominion thing on YouTube. See if TheFeedski can get some revenue from that as well. I know that it's really pocket change, but I'm sure TheFeedski would appreciate any money he can get his hands on.

From Riot Games's Website

Quote:
You may run ads or other revenue streams that don’t interfere with a user’s access to the video, subject to the “No Licensing” guideline below.
Meaning ads are okay.

Some things about the DD website that I want to talk about (my personal opinions, you are more than welcome to ignore this part)

-Slow loading, but you guys know that already.

-We need more regular announcements. They need to be relevant with the times.

-DD Facebook page doesn't need an announcement. A Facebook icon in a well-seen location is more than sufficient. Eh...I was going to use LeagueofLegends.com as an example but I don't think at the bottom is the best place. More like, near the top. Edit: Nevermind, it's already nicely placed up top. Whoever did that, good job. Just make sure they work since they're not loading up for me right now.

-The 5 Plays, if we're not going to do it, please remove it. On the topic of this, I feel that even if it is a poorly edited Microsoft Movie Maker, having something is better than nothing. If needed, get some people to learn how to make them if you want quality of stuff. Learning to use a movie editing program is something you can put on your resume and a good skill some people can have for their future careers.

-When I go to guides, I see the new champion rotations, newest guides, and the top rated guides. But it is not easy to see where the other guides are. I'm going to criticize MobaFire as well on this. When I go to their site, if I was a newcomer, I don't know where to find the other champion guides. I wouldn't know how to find Dom-specific guides.

-If you guys want to place guides on MobaFire, label them as Dom, get the entire DD community to upvote the living daylights out of it, and just have DD link it to there, that could work and is is like killing two birds with one stone. Sorry, but MobaFire is a resource for new players, new players that we want. Plus, with the rating system on Dom being...so low...it looks like DD has terrible guides.

-Streams...actually, I never really used it...sorry...I can just find them in the DominateDominion chatroom.

-Prizes, doesn't have to be RP or money. It can be as simple as "Play with TheFeedski or Kirillian night." With RiotRival is down for it, you could even have "Play with RiotRival night." Even SR guys might get in on it if they know for sure they will play like three games with a Rioter or something. Heck, I'm sure even some DD guys would have orgasms if they got to play with a PECS member/Sauron.

-Events-Dominate Dominion Draft Day or Dominate Dominion Inhouse Frenzy

-Back up casters. Get everyone who has good internet connection and the necessary hardware to stream to become "stream-available" status. Doesn't need to be the best thing in the world, it's just to make sure we have some backups for the Dominate Dominion tournaments and that we can always stream it. Get some casters available. While Gandair was gone, it became very noticeable that DD doesn't have a lot of casters to call on and we were getting a lot of first timers, who were inexperienced and it showed.

We need to get some backup casters available. It can be the DD community. We don't need the best of the best, just a group of people that we can call on when needed. I don't want to put more on Gandair's plate but if he's willing, maybe Gandair might be willing to help.

P.S. To the caster who told TheFeedski that he needs to pay him in order for him to cast, GO F*** YOURSELF. You think you're hot stuff, but you're not. If you want to get paid, at least get to Gandair's level first. You're Silver at best, Gandair's already at Plantinum League of casting. TheFeedski is probably a better caster drunk than you are sober, drunk, or high.

I know I put up a big list and I didn't hold back my punches. My time is pretty limited but I am willing to help when I can. You guys are awesome. When TheFeedski said he was done, I was afraid DD was finished. I'm really happy that not only are there people willing to take up the mantle, but you guys want to go bigger and better than it was possible before.

Also, think of it this way. We may not the best or even that good with what we have to do now. But, we'll learn through experience. We'll make some failures, we'll Google it, get some friends to help us out, etc. Just because we don't have the skills now, doesn't mean we'll never get them. Once we become bigger, we'll probably attract some talented DD guys to join up as well.

NamKim

04-01-2013

Also, making a separate post on this because it's kind of big in my opinion.

Try to convince more Rioters to play Dominion. If they play it and like it, they want to work on it. They may even volunteer to help RiotNome out from time to time. If you guys got Rioters 3 Knuckle Fist into Dominion, RiotNome suddenly got the support of the top artists of Riot Games.

That doesn't sound impressive but know this. Riot Games artists seems to be the most popular Rioters. Meaning, if we get them on our side, AMAZING ADVERTISEMENT.

kirillian

04-01-2013

Thank you Nam for that detailed post...holy cow lol. Yeah, I see a lot of those problems myself as well...anything that you guys see, post it...lets get it out in the open...if you have any suggestions for any of the ideas at all, lets get them out there too...I'll try and compile these lists into things we want to address and compile the suggestions as well...we need to decide how we want to get together to organize a way to deal with these things, but getting the problems out there is REALLY important too...

One of the things that your list really points out is the lack of content management that the community has. There's a very real divide between being able to put a webpage out there and being effective at making sure that it has good content and that people WANT to read it and find it useful. Some people who are good at one side are not good at the other (take me for example...I can help get the site RUNNING, but I sure as heck am not very good at writing articles or making sure announcements get put up...my WIFE reminds me of when to send birthday cards to my own family cuz I just forget that stuff sometimes...). We all have different skills...I just want to push us as a community to step forward and put those skills forth...and I want to push us to have the right people in place to help those offering their services to know what to do.

War1eader

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volandum View Post
I would prefer meetings to be in a text format (e.g. like a wiki discussion page) as this provides an attributed record and doesn't require people to gather in one place and time.
I like this idea, a Dominion support/leadership sub-Reddit may be useful.