@Riot: Quality of custom games deteriorating... / List of all the custom game bugs

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrosPigeon

03-31-2013

Here is something that people may not be aware of; you used to be able to know who is on your ignore list in a custom game lobby simply by right clicking someone back before the client was changed (somewhere in 2011 I think). A big red X would show instead of their summoner icon which was very useful for custom game hosts who wished to make a banlist. Simply add'em all to the ignore list. Now you gotta write their names down and sometimes their names won't even display because they are written in russian letters or chinese symbols. This is a loss of functionality and only makes hosting more of a pain.

Edit: Also, not to mention that it doesn't tell you who dodged anymore in your notifications in the bottom right side of your client, which is also a loss of functionality and makes banlisting the dodgers currently impossible.

Lots of custom game bugs have been happenning in the past and have never been fixed and with some of the latest patch some new bugs are now showing up too!

Here is a list of all the bugs I am currently aware of that can happen in a custom game lobby or champion select;

1) Spectator slot bug : Active game not found
Effect: You cannot join any of the teams or even leave the lobby, if you quit the lobby, you will be brought back repeatedly. A message saying "Active game not found" will show everytime you attempt to join a team and will also display repeatedly during champion select if you decide to spectate it.
How to create: Join a lobby in the spectator slot, go into champion select, get the champion select dodged. There you go, now you are bugged into the spectator slot.
Fix: Get kicked from the lobby or have everyone leave or let the game start.

2) Kick menu bug
Effect: You cannot kick someone and are stucked in the "are you sure you want to kick this person" menu.
How to create: Be the host of a custom game, have some people join, click the red X (aka kick/ban button) on someone, leave the menu open, have someone else join the room and now click "yes".
Fix: Restarting your client.
Comment: This bug is particularly annoying because if you restart your client, it means you are no longer the host of the game you originally created even if you rejoin the lobby.

3) Kick wrong person bug
Effect: You kick the next person who joins the team of the person you wanted to kick instead of the person you wanted to kick. (kind of confusing to read)
How to create: Be the host of a custom game, have some people join, click the red X (aka kick/ban button) on someone, leave the menu open, have someone else join the room on the same side as the person you wish to kick and then click "yes".
Fix: The person you accidently kicked is also banned from your lobby, if you wish to play with that person, you have to create a new one.
Comment: I don't exactly know what is the difference between what causes bug #2 and bug #3.

4) Cannot go in champ select (courtesy of last patches) FIXED
Effect: Certain players will be able to join custom game lobbies but will never enter champion select when the host starts the game. They are able to see that players are joining the room in the lobby's chat but won't see them appear on neither of both teams.
How to create: I have no idea, but it is most certainly caused by one of the latest patch because it didn't exist before.
Fix: Restarting your client. Any player joining the game including the host can encounter this bug.
Comment: Players who encounter this bug will display a lightning bolt icon in champion select. If the champion select is dodged and they are still in the custom game lobby and are then are kicked, they will remain in the lobby's chat but will not show in the list of players in neither of both teams or the spectators slots. They will not be aware that they have been kicked until you actually tell them because they still see themselves in the lobby. (very weird bug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancor Rising View Post
#4 CAN happen to a host. I know this for a fact. Persisted across multiple game rooms when I attempted to rehost as well. Only restarting the client helped.
5) Double team switch
Effect: Clicking the "join team" button will cause you to switch team then switch back to your original team.
How to create: Simply when your client is laggy, you can click the "join team" button twice before the client aknowledges it and will change you from team A to team B then back to A.
Fix: Nothing to fix really
Comment: This is nothing game breaking, I just don't think it's intended to work that way.

6) Extremely long accept time + Game not showing in the custom game list
Effect: Nothing happens for a long period of time after accepting an invite to a custom game. The game also won't show immediately in the list of custom games.
How to create: Have someone create a custom game. This person invites a very large amount of players to the custom game and also invites you. You accept the invite ALSO if you try to join manually the game is not showing in the list of custom games but will eventually after some time. (The waiting time depends on how long the invite list is, it mostly happens in games where the host invites his whole friends list)
Fix: Have the host not invite too many people or be patient,
Comment: Maybe it's just lag in the client for processing too many requests at once, idk. It's not gamebreaking either.

7) Lobby chat crash bug
Effect: The custom game lobby chat will not be working. Levels won't show and nobody will be able to use the chat.
How to create: I am not exactly sure but it has to do with using the same game name multiple times in a row. I have been able to use the same game name for multiple consecutive games but sometimes the chat crashes when I do so.
Fix: Recreate the game with a different game name. (Any slight variation will suffice)
Comment: Found the cause of this bug out of luck, I used to use the same game name over and over again and I was wondering why when I host the chat is never working and I thought it was because I was using the special character "" so I removed it from my game name and the chat would work again. Then I encountered the same bug again and I put the back and again it would fix it again.

8) Champion already selected
Effect: Immediately after selecting a champion, a message saying "your champion has already been selected" will pop up despite the fact that you are still able to select that champion.
How to create: Randomly happens after selecting a champion in Blind Pick or Draft Mode.
Fix: Click "ok". This bug does not prevent you from selecting the champion you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibious One View Post
Great thread that is addressing a lot of issues we're all having. Another one I get often is "Champion has already been selected" when I select a champion. When I click okay, it shows me with that champion still.
9) Sticky champion picture
Effect: Champion picture will display while waiting in the lobby, covering a big portion of your screen on the top right side.
How to create: During champion select in Draft Mode or Blind Pick hover your cursor over a champion for the big picture to display, then have someone dodge the champion select. The picture will remain there.
Fix: Leave the lobby or re-enter champion select and hover your cursor over a champion for its big picture to display, once you remove your cursor, it will go away.

10) Chat blocked as host
Effect: Chat is temporarily blocked for the host after some players join the game lobby.
How to create: The idea is that everytime someone joins, it sends a line of yellow text in the lobby chat announcing who joined the room. This line of text counts as if the host sent it, so if many players join at once, the chat will be blocked for the host because he is technically flooding it.
Fix: There is no fix. You can only wait until the block is gone. (Lasts about 10s)

11) Cannot start again after dodge
Effect: The game cannot start. For host, a message will pop saying that the game cannot start because the teams have been changed. Something around those lines. Once the game has been dodged, if you leave the broken game lobby, you may randomly reappear in it. After that, if you join another lobby other bugs can occur during champion select, such as the inability to pick a champion or other weird things. http://imgur.com/5lOp9w1
How to create: Host or join a custom game. Start the champion select (for any pick type) and have someone dodge the champion select. After returning to the lobby, the game will most likely not be able to start.
Fix: There is no fix. Leave the game and join another or create a new one.
Comment: In some cases this bug will not occur after champion select is dodged. This bug started happenning around 4 or 5 patches ago and (patch 3.10) and is by far the most annoying bug to deal with.

Riot, custom game bugs are never getting fixes and just keep adding up, making hosting and playing custom game matches a hell of a pain. Especially since that last bug started occuring. Please aknowledge the situation and do something about it.

Beravin

03-31-2013

An excellent thread. Many of these issues have existed in custom games for a long time now, and as you say, a bunch of new ones have recently popped up as well. A friend of mine is slowly losing interest in ARAM, not because of the mode itself, but because of all these quality of life issues (do I really need to list them all?) that we need to deal with.

FDru

03-31-2013

You forgot to mention "randomly can't see summoner level/wins/etc" or "completely unable to talk or see chat in the pre-game lobby". Two separate issues, but with similar symptoms.

This and all of these problems boil down to Adobe AIR being a steaming pile.

Amphibious One

03-31-2013

Great thread that is addressing a lot of issues we're all having. Another one I get often is "Champion has already been selected" when I select a champion. When I click okay, it shows me with that champion still.

Rancor Rising

04-01-2013

#4 CAN happen to a host. I know this for a fact. Persisted across multiple game rooms when I attempted to rehost as well. Only restarting the client helped.

GrosPigeon

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
You forgot to mention "randomly can't see summoner level/wins/etc" or "completely unable to talk or see chat in the pre-game lobby". Two separate issues, but with similar symptoms.
I don't know if the two are different issues, they both seem to happen at the same time for me.

FDru

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrosPigeon View Post
I don't know if the two are different issues, they both seem to happen at the same time for me.
They're different. Sort of. When you can't chat, it's guaranteed that you won't be able to see anybody's info either, but sometimes you just can't see some players' info (could be all or some or just one) but can still chat.

GrosPigeon

04-03-2013

bump, added 9)

GrosPigeon

04-04-2013

Bump, added 10)

GrosPigeon

04-13-2013

4) got fixed and updated 6)