Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ioryn, the Crippled Mage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

R4GD0LL

03-31-2013

Champion concept:
Ioryn is a champion with very good zone control, capable of rapid burst damage and a strong gank potential.

Ioryn, the Crippled Mage
Armor 26 +3.2/level (85.5 at 18)
Magic Resist 30
Attack Damage 51 + 2.8/level (98.6 at level 18)
Attack Speed .62
Health 445 + 78/level (1771 at 18)
Mana 270 + 57/level (1239 at 18)
Move Speed 320
Health regen 9/5, +0.4/level (15.8/5 at 18)
Mana regen 6/5, +0.5/level (14.5/5 at 18)

On Pick: "My totems await activation."
On move: "That looks like a risky idea." or "I've got a totem for that."
On attack: "I'll do it if I must." or "I'll make this quick." or "They will die."
Taunt: "Sticks and stones may break your bones, but these stone sticks will blast you."
Unique Taunt against Taric: "Yes, those gems of yours are fairly inefficient- would you like to learn how to use them better?"
Joke: "And to think I used to laugh at that Taric fellow's gem magics. I still think his pink legwarmers are excessive, though."

Unique interaction with opposing Taric: Taric gains a buff that reads, "I can't stand for this perversion of the natural magics of precious stones."

Lore
Once a prodigy of spellcrafting, Ioryn constantly sought to push the limits of magic. He was known for being both cautious and highly determined, and while he would cover every possible danger he or his colleagues could conceive of, he would explore any angle of magic that crossed his fancy, no matter how bizarre, esoteric, or reckless it initially seemed.
Ioryn was good at what he did- many claimed he was possibly one of the best Runeterra had ever seen. But before he could truly make his mark on the world, disaster struck. During an experiment intended to explore the source of magic use in sentient races, a freak harmonic resonance backlashed from the simulated nexus and killed several members of his research team. He would have argued that they were the lucky ones. The harmonic irreparably warped a portion of his soul, a part which he and his team had been theorizing was the interface between the mind of a mage and what allowed a mage to magically shape spells. No longer able to cast even the simplest of spells, his career was over before it had properly begun.
Many others would have given up on their life's ambition at this point, but not Ioryn. Where he went after his accident is unknown, but he returned having learned a means of channeling magic into objects, small bits of crystal laced stone. He claimed the nexus magic that had damaged him was reversable, but only through repeated exposure over a long period of time to multiple Nexi. In the meanwhile, the crude magical infusions he'd taught himself to create would serve well on the Fields of Justice.

Passive: Soul Totems
Ioryn makes use of his skills through the use of Soul Totems, small pointed stone stakes carved intricately and embedded with crystals. Every 20 seconds (18 at level 5, 16 at level 9, 14 at level 13, and 12 at level 17) he acquires another totem- this is affected by cooldown reduction. He can hold a maximum of 3 totems. Placed totems have 3 health, and are visible, but only targetable by auto attacks and turrets. Totems dispel immediately once they have expended all their charges, and reward 4 gold if killed by auto attacks to the last champion to hit them, even if a minion or turret gets the killing blow.

Totem of Pain (Q) Casting cost: 40/55/70/85/100 mana, 1 totem
Ioryn places a totem within 350 range. The totem lasts for 30 seconds, or until it triggers 2/3/4/5/6 times. At .5 second intervals, the totem will attack 2 random enemies within 250 for 45(+.2 AP) magic damage. If this strikes an enemy that has been struck by another type of totem within the last 3 seconds, it applies a 12% stacking move speed slow for 1.5 seconds (Max 60% slow). 4 second cooldown.

Totem of Hunger (W) Casting Cost: 60/70/80/90/100 mana, 1 totem
Ioryn places a totem within 350 range. The totem lasts for 30 seconds, or until it triggers 2/3/4/5/6 times. At 1 second intervals, it strikes a random nearby enemy within 250 with a 50% healing reduction debuff for 2 seconds. If this strikes an enemy that has been struck by another type of totem within the last 3 seconds, it also deals 5/7/9/11/13 (+.15 AP) magic damage per second while the healing reduction debuff persists. 4 second cooldown.

Totem of Weakness (E) Casting cost: 40/50/60/70/80 mana, 1 totem
Ioryn places a totem within 350 range. The totem lasts for 30 seconds, or until it triggers 2/3/4/5/6 times. At 1 second intervals, it inflicts a debuff for 2 seconds on a random nearby enemy within 250 that reduces damage dealt by 15%/20%/25%/30%/35%. If this strikes an enemy that has been struck by another type of totem within the last 3 seconds, the damage reduction is doubled. 4 second cooldown.

Totem of Grief (R) Casting Cost: 100/150/200 mana, 1 totem
Passive: Ioryn may carry a maximum of 1/2/3 additional totems.
Active: Ioryn places a totem within 350 range. The totem lasts for 15 seconds or until it triggers 1/2/3 times. At 1 second intervals, it strikes a random enemy champion within 350 for 100 (+.35 AP damage) and puts a random, non ultimate ability of that champion on cooldown for 2 seconds if that champ has an elligible ability that is currently off cooldown. Each time it does so, it reduces the time until Ioryn receives his next totem by 2 seconds, plus an additional second for each other type of totem that has struck that champion within the last 4 seconds. 90 second cooldown.

Playstyle:
Played well, he can cut off an enemy's escape route very effectively, although his reliance on his totems means that a player must carefully weigh his options. He works quite effectively at countering roaming enemies, although he is deliberately weak in the laning phase. He is also a reasonably good defender, as with a small amount of preparation he can make taking a turret a dicey proposition.
His abilities seem weak at first glance, but Ioryns strength is best exploited when there are no enemy creeps or monsters around to distract his totems. At level 5, for instance, Totem of Pain has a maximum damage output of 270+1.2 AP over 3 seconds. This is a strong ability, especially given that a prepared position may have more than one such totem attacking. Built with AP and 40% cdr, at level 17 he regains a totem every 7.2 seconds, and his basic totems have a 2.4 second cooldown. Teamed with champions who can control enemy positioning (Blitzcrank, Lee Sin, and Orianna to name a few) Ioryn is a deadly force.
The counterpoint is enemy minions. These can dilute the effectiveness of Ioryn's abilities, and makes champs with summoned pets (Malzahar, Heimerdinger, Yorrick, to name a few) natural hard counters to Ioryn.
Ioryn is meant to be a high difficulty champ.

Playing against Ioryn
Ioryn is most dangerous when you are isolated from anything that can distract his totems. Catching or pulling him out of position to a target rich environment significantly reduces his effectiveness in a fight. Ioryn is strong at fighting over objectives such as Baron or Dragon. Consider dragging Dragon into his totems to soak some of the damage and crowd control, so long as Dragon isn't very low yet. Jungle creeps can be used the same way to mitigate his totems effectiveness. This strategy can backfire late game, however, when he can carry enough totems to clear both the jungle spawn and his opponents.

EDIT 1: Clarified totem health and gold reward.

EDIT 2: Added emotes, Taric interaction.

EDIT 3: Added Playing Against.

R4GD0LL

04-01-2013

Bump

Elsabet

04-01-2013

Honestly cool. Can the totems be destroyed or forfeited (replaced (refunded))?

R4GD0LL

04-01-2013

Quote:
Elsabet:
Honestly cool. Can the totems be destroyed or forfeited (replaced (refunded))?

Yeah, the totems should have 3 hit points, like a standard ward, and takes 1 damage from any minion or champion autoattack, although it's destroyable in one hit by a turret. They'll have a gold reward of 4 gold, given how many of them he'll need to drop in a given fight and he can't dispel them manually.

Or are you asking something else?

R4GD0LL

04-02-2013

Bump. Also added a "Playing against" section. Still looking for feedback.

Slid Silver

04-02-2013

Very neat idea. I particularly like that hitting someone with multiple totems adds additional effects.

I dislike that his totems can be mostly negated by a large creep wave - I know you factored that in as a disadvantage but it unfortunately means most of his kit can be useless in many fights. I doubt most players would be happy with being in that unfortunate position.

R4GD0LL

04-02-2013

Quote:
Slid Silver:
Very neat idea. I particularly like that hitting someone with multiple totems adds additional effects.

I dislike that his totems can be mostly negated by a large creep wave - I know you factored that in as a disadvantage but it unfortunately means most of his kit can be useless in many fights. I doubt most players would be happy with being in that unfortunate position.

Well, what do you suggest? I'd initially considered lowering the base cooldown between totem ammo, but doing that reduces the abililty of other champs to counterplay him.