Current Feelings on New Karma

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hevn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2013

I don't think this new Karma was actually remade for old Karma players.. Everything feels weaker in comparison to the old Karma, and if you have any habits from playing the old Karma, they're going to get you killed. I was very nervous about the rework to my favorite champion in the League and so I've decided to post some of my concerns that I'm seeing with her right now. Here are just a few of the issues I'm noticing as a previous Karma main (keep in mind, with very little data thus far)...

- She feels a lot squishier than before, her new mantra system is hardly fun to use, and I can't find the damage that I used be bring out of her before and if you ever used the old Karma, you're going to find yourself missing track of your Mantras and putting yourself in a losing situation that you may have won before with more readily available Mantra casts.

- A lot of people are excited about her new Q ability. It's great for giving her some space to safely farm a solo lane, or lay down some harassment in a duo bot, but I'm not getting nearly as much team fight utility out of it as I could with the old one.

- Farming has become much more difficult. A Q used to be able to consistently clear caster minions, and leave melee minions with almost nothing. If needed, you could Mantra a shield to clear the rest since you could have 1 Mantra in reserve and have the shielded mantra back up in very little time. I'm still testing different builds, but as far as I've experienced so far, you're not going to be wave clearing with any kind of haste like you could before.

- Her W is a lot more difficult to use since you now only have 5 targets on the field, and the root effect you get from putting yourself at risk to stay teathered for 2 seconds generally doesn't feel worth it when it comes to team fights. It used to be a great way to help your team chase or disengage from team fights with the speed boost on allies. I understand that many people will say that we didn't lose anything regarding speed boosts because of the new Mantra'd E ability. Just remember that Mantra is incredibly sparse now, and if you use it for a speed boost, you've just thrown a lot of your damage out of the door for your team fight.

- Her E Shield feels weaker. I cannot stack a huge shield on her like I was able to before the rework. I've seen people are saying that you can make it larger than before, but as it stands, I just cannot get that to happen.

- Item selection for Karma is going to be very different I feel. I'm still trying several item builds with her, so hopefully I'll be able to come back with good news about some item combos, but I can tell you that her old builds are not working so far.

TLDR - I'm not saying that she's horrible and unusable yet. That would be irresponsible, since I've only gotten a few games under my belt. I will say that I feel like I would be a much better player with the new Karma if I had never played with her old skill set before and had lingering habits that no longer work with this kit.

Edit: I'd like to get some feedback on my findings and discuss them with others who are currently working with her. What have your experiences been so far?

InfinAce

03-31-2013

In general yeah, I feel like as an old karma player, playing new karma is awkward. Her q makes me feel like I'm playing Ezreal, and I suck at Ezreal lol.

And I used to mantra sheild all the time, but now I mantra other abilities more.

isabella valenti

03-31-2013

i dislike the new karma! i miss her old shield! the explosion range is too short! her new w is fine except it needs to be ally and minion targetable! her mantra charged q detonation time is too long and the area is too small! her visuals are fine. another thing the cooldown on mantra is too long and she NEEDS mantra charges! like her old ult! this is what i feel is wrong with her

Feynt

03-31-2013

Her visuals are not fine, she doesn't use fans anymore. She throws hadokens. >.>

Naokazu

03-31-2013

Karma is a LOT squishier than before; her shield is weaker all around, she doesn't get AP from her passive to boost it, and she doesn't level it first since shield-bombing isn't useful as harassment. Top that off with damage numbers tuned for her old passive and you've got a seriously underpowered champion.