Jungling Nautilus, need help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ghostvoider Rick

03-31-2013

In season 2, Nautilus was one of the dominant junglers in the game, but ever since the season 3 jungles changes, which made the jungle a lot more difficult, Nautilus can barely make it past the wolves without a leash. Even with a leash, Nautilus needs a long leash because of the blue buff that he needs. Any tips or suggestions?

AWildRaticate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2013

Don't run him full tank anymore, he's actually incredibly strong with fast clears when you build him with attack speed. I know it sounds extremely wonky and I'm surprised every time I post about this and don't get hated on, but I actually run him 21-9-0 with MS quints, flat AD reds, and AS yellows and blues. Build Berserker's Greaves, Spirit of the Lizard Elder, Frozen Mallet, Sunfire Cape, Abyssal Scepter, and Liandry's and you'll still be extremely tanky with very very fast clears and tons of DoT that absolutely melt people. You can still lock people down indefinitely on ganks and survive easily in teamfights, all while posing a serious damage threat.

Ghostvoider Rick

03-31-2013

Nautilus attack speed, I like the idea of his anchor being swung back and forth....

AWildRaticate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2013

Apply that W DoT hard and fast, bro.

Gdstro

04-01-2013

I use AS runes on him as well.

ZachTheApathetic

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvoider Rick View Post
Nautilus attack speed, I like the idea of his anchor being swung back and forth....
a buddy of mine when full adc on him one game...probably one of the funniest LoL moments

Onimus Terlain

04-01-2013

Well, I play Nautilus jungle a lot and I stick with a heavy tank build:
Spirit of the ancient Golem
Boots of Mobility
Runic Bulwark
Shurelias Reverie
Sunfire Cape
Abyssal Scepter

I’m not exactly sure what the appeal of AS nautilus is. Yea, you can apply your W more, but you really only need an AS of 1.0 to fully take advantage of your W.
The way the damage on W works, at level 5, it deals 130 +0.4 AP every 2 seconds. So each tick is worth 75+0.2 AP. So if you want to renew the damage, all you need is 1.0 AS so that you can continuously apply the DoT. The ability hasn’t been given the Teemo treatment (you can reset the first tick of a DoT with a higher AS than 1.0) so going above 1.0 doesn’t actually add any additional damage. In addition, if you’re building a lot of AS, you probably aren’t building much health, as those two aren’t normally offered on the same items. So your shield will only have the base amount of health, so it’ll pop almost immediately.

It sounds fun, and I want to try it. But I don’t think that it will add that much more DPS to his kit.
AP Nautilus, on the other hand, is a very underrated build that can literally melt people in seconds. I would recommend AP Nautilus before I recommend AS Nautilus. But I think tank Nautilus is still the strongest build he has.

The amount of CC and tankiness of he offers is wild and can change team fights just by his mere presence.

As for his early game struggles, just as for help at blue (preferably a smiteless leash) and then use your smite on red. You’ll be level 3 and just grab a second point in W. From there you shouldn’t have many health problems in the jungle.
I run the standard runes and masteries:
AS reds, armor yellows, MR/lvl blues, MS quints, 9/21/0 with emphasis in heavy health and resistances.
After his first clear, he has no problems clearing the jungle anymore. The only issue remains that if you farm with your W, you should wait the 15 seconds for it to come back up before ganking.

AWildRaticate

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onimus Terlain View Post
Well, I play Nautilus jungle a lot and I stick with a heavy tank build:
Spirit of the ancient Golem
Boots of Mobility
Runic Bulwark
Shurelias Reverie
Sunfire Cape
Abyssal Scepter

Iím not exactly sure what the appeal of AS nautilus is. Yea, you can apply your W more, but you really only need an AS of 1.0 to fully take advantage of your W.
The way the damage on W works, at level 5, it deals 130 +0.4 AP every 2 seconds. So each tick is worth 75+0.2 AP. So if you want to renew the damage, all you need is 1.0 AS so that you can continuously apply the DoT. The ability hasnít been given the Teemo treatment (you can reset the first tick of a DoT with a higher AS than 1.0) so going above 1.0 doesnít actually add any additional damage. In addition, if youíre building a lot of AS, you probably arenít building much health, as those two arenít normally offered on the same items. So your shield will only have the base amount of health, so itíll pop almost immediately.

It sounds fun, and I want to try it. But I donít think that it will add that much more DPS to his kit.
AP Nautilus, on the other hand, is a very underrated build that can literally melt people in seconds. I would recommend AP Nautilus before I recommend AS Nautilus. But I think tank Nautilus is still the strongest build he has.

The amount of CC and tankiness of he offers is wild and can change team fights just by his mere presence.

As for his early game struggles, just as for help at blue (preferably a smiteless leash) and then use your smite on red. Youíll be level 3 and just grab a second point in W. From there you shouldnít have many health problems in the jungle.
I run the standard runes and masteries:
AS reds, armor yellows, MR/lvl blues, MS quints, 9/21/0 with emphasis in heavy health and resistances.
After his first clear, he has no problems clearing the jungle anymore. The only issue remains that if you farm with your W, you should wait the 15 seconds for it to come back up before ganking.
You gotta look at the build I posted closer. I actually only take one AS item, which is the boots, as well as the runes. So I am actually running just over 1.0 AS, but also applying the Spirit of the Lizard Elder DoT, Red Buff DoT, as well as W DoT, Sunfire, and Liandry's. It's much more focused on DoT than AS, just a little AS to make him fly through jungle camps. Still has tanky stats on every item I get except for those first two, so you lose almost no survivability in exchange for drastically more damage that is very difficult to mitigate due to the fact that it is mixed magic and true damage.

Onimus Terlain

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWildRaticate View Post
You gotta look at the build I posted closer. I actually only take one AS item, which is the boots, as well as the runes. So I am actually running just over 1.0 AS, but also applying the Spirit of the Lizard Elder DoT, Red Buff DoT, as well as W DoT, Sunfire, and Liandry's. It's much more focused on DoT than AS, just a little AS to make him fly through jungle camps. Still has tanky stats on every item I get except for those first two, so you lose almost no survivability in exchange for drastically more damage that is very difficult to mitigate due to the fact that it is mixed magic and true damage.
I get that.

My post was also to the people talking about building Naut full ADC, implying lots of AS.

Your build is good.
Like I said, I prefer extreme tankiness more than damage because, as Nautilus, my damage isn't my selling point. But he does cause crazy damage if left unchecked in team fights.

Overall, Nautilus is one of the strongest junglers right now in my opinion. I'm just waiting until everyone else realizes that. All you need to know how to do is land a skill shot that has a huge hit box and you can own with Nautilus.

AWildRaticate

04-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onimus Terlain View Post
I get that.

My post was also to the people talking about building Naut full ADC, implying lots of AS.

Your build is good.
Like I said, I prefer extreme tankiness more than damage because, as Nautilus, my damage isn't my selling point. But he does cause crazy damage if left unchecked in team fights.

Overall, Nautilus is one of the strongest junglers right now in my opinion. I'm just waiting until everyone else realizes that. All you need to know how to do is land a skill shot that has a huge hit box and you can own with Nautilus.
Fair. I've played him almost like an ADC before with Triforce for his passive and his crits are hilarious, but definitely not a good way to build him unless you are very very well acquainted with him and the enemy team is crappy.