Need a laptop

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yudus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2010

Im going to college soon and need a laptop...but i also want it for gaming. Like league of legends and also for photoshop, music and other various activities.

I was looking at the Toshiba Qosima 505(or w/e) but my range is more in the 800-900 area. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much

GG GarciaKevz

11-05-2010

get an HP Pavillion dv_ _ _ _ _ _ _

anything like that....

i bought one in 2007 with an integrated graphics card, but its still works for games like lol........but im sure you're buying the more recent ones with i7 stuff..

so yea look for pavillion laptops, they're pretty good, in fact after school i play lol with my laptop on my bed xD

YoungUnicorn

11-05-2010

Asus.

'nuff said.

I've owned 2 Asus laptops for college and gaming, i'm in love with the brand. Go to Best Buy and purchase the warranty. I got a virus on my last one which destroyed my HDD. I was able to get the same laptop for $1.

I play LoL on max settings 60 FPS (not like that's saying much), same with WoW.

Zinthros

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-05-2010

Asus .. the bamboo 14-15 inch one. Best thing ever. Plays LoL at 60 fps high and can run 5 hours doing office tasks / school work / browsing.

Sc3ptor

11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Kevz0o View Post
get an HP Pavillion dv_ _ _ _ _ _ _

anything like that....

i bought one in 2007 with an integrated graphics card, but its still works for games like lol........but im sure you're buying the more recent ones with i7 stuff..

so yea look for pavillion laptops, they're pretty good, in fact after school i play lol with my laptop on my bed xD
Don't. I have one and you're much better off with something a bit more price (M11X Alienware anyone?).

Using a HP Pavilion dv________ will only allow you to play LoL on the lowest settings and you will be unable to play any game that only runs on DirectX9

proacker

11-05-2010

Asus.

Awesome

11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCchiefs View Post
Im going to college soon and need a laptop...but i also want it for gaming. Like league of legends and also for photoshop, music and other various activities.

I was looking at the Toshiba Qosima 505(or w/e) but my range is more in the 800-900 area. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much
Wow...are you sure you're not me posting this?

I'm also going into college soon and was looking at the EXACT SAME LAPTOP! Not kidding...whoa this is weird.

If you're in the same scenario as me, which it pretty much sounds like you are, I think you have three realistic choices:

-Sony (GREAT display, runs smoothly, lasts long)
-Asus (The epitome of a gaming computer lies within an Asus)
-Toshiba (Qosmio) (Solid all-around gaming laptop from a company that has a great rep)

Those three will not let you down. One warning- DO NOT spend money on a Dell or Alienware. I am currently using a Dell XPS 1530. It cost me well over 1800 dollars and has crashed/bluescreened countless times. It once self-destructed and I had to have almost all the hardware replaced...

Oh, and don't get a Mac, or I'll personally hunt you down and eat your appendix for dinner.

But anyways! I hope that advice helped. Good luck on your pick, and if you can, let me know what you end up with

-Omega

Mister Jimson

11-05-2010

Im on the HP Envy 14 and i got it for school and games. Works great, i play MW2, LoL, WoW all perfect.

+ With switchable graphics(discrete to integrated) you get ~5 hours battery, also has a back-lit keyboard.

YoungUnicorn

11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Jimson View Post
Im on the HP Envy 14 and i got it for school and games. Works great, i play MW2, LoL, WoW all perfect.

+ With switchable graphics(discrete to integrated) you get ~5 hours battery, also has a back-lit keyboard.
Back-lit keyboard is something I have to have now, Asus spoiled me. That's impressive battery life on a gaming laptop as well, I can only range from 1-2 hours unplugged here.

GPEternity

11-05-2010

Alienware is probably the best gaming computer you'll find, but you end up paying for a lot of proprietary things like the brand name, the fancy led's, alien software, and it'll weigh a ton because they use a lot of aluminum in the casing - in short you will be spending a lot.

Don't get a regular Dell, they are not built to handle gaming stress - thats why Dell owns Alienware.

I would recommend Asus, very good brand - cost effective and reliable, they make their own parts so you won't have to worry about hardware conflicts, a lot of other brands use Asus parts. Aside from Alienware, Asus is the only other major brand that makes dedicated gaming laptops. With most other brands (Sony, HP, Toshiba) you'll get "gaming" laptops that are really just typical laptops with a higher end graphics chip and maybe a different cooling system.

Samsung likewise makes their own parts, but they aren't really built for gaming, they're more like

Sony laptops are good also, except for comparable performance they'll cost an average of 200-300 more than another brand, most come with built in blu-ray (Sony, derp) which contributes to the higher average cost.

HP laptops are pretty good, I've never looked into the Envy series but other HP lines are notorious for overheating problems - the cooling system is not efficient at all, so for a gaming laptop you will need to invest in a high end external cooling fan. Aside from heating problems they are reliable overall.

Do NOT get a mac. They might be good enough for a cookie cutter college student but no mac exists that will serve your gaming needs.