Frequently Asked Questions or Mechanics

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gustavington

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2010

accidentally submitted before my post was complete:

continued from crowd control

stun = cannot move, attack, or use abilities
snare = cannot move, and may not be able to attack (i believe morganas snare is the only snare in which you can attack)
healing reduction = 50% reduction in healing and regeneration
"knocked up" = essentially a stun

also, any ability that moves another character is considered CC, and acts like a stun in that it "interrupts" channeled abilities.

channel = anything that requires time to cast, and is generally accompanied by a blue-gray bar just above you skills. Recalling, or blue-pilling, is an example of this. Channeled spells can be interrupted by most CC (all except for snare and healing reduc i believe)

jungling = anytime a character uses the monsters in the area between lanes (referred to as the jungle) as a primary source of experience. Common jungling characters are: warwick, fiddlesticks, shaco (for a starting buff only in general).

Golem-Lizard buff = (also blue-red buff respectively) buff gained from the "boss" monsters in the jungle. Golem buff gives cooldown reduction and significant mana regeneration, and lizard buff gives a slowing affect on-hit in addition to a high damage over time debuff. "Baron buff" is another buff gained from killing the very high level monster in the top river section, this provides bonuses to a large number of attributes.

you can have any number of these buffs at a time, they fade after a while, and they pass to your killer if you die when you are under ones affect.

solo or solo-mid = with five players and 3 lanes, one lane (almost always middle), will only have one champion from each team in it. These teammates will level faster because they are not sharing minion experience with a partner. This is one method of starting a carry for later game. Not all characters can effectively solo, and out of those that can not all gain a significant benefit from it. Also, being in a lane by yourself makes you especially vulnerable to ganks, because 2v1 is harder than 2v3.

pings = the blues pulses on the map. generally used to signal team targets. Also can be used to map out suspected paths of enemy champions as a warning to teammates.

i hope this helps, and feel free to post more if you have more questions. I cant garuntee a speedy response, but i will when i can.

TheMighty0ne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpster View Post
Q: Can you dodge spells?

A: You cannot dodge spells. The only way to not receive damage from spells is to be spell immune from one of these:

- Banshee's Veil (blocks one spell every 30 seconds)
- Sivir's Spell Shield
- Morgana's Black Shield
- Judicator's Invulnerabilty (note that unlike the others, while this one blocks spell damage, anything secondary like a slow would still happen)

I'm usually playing Veigar and it happened really often that people flashed out of my ult. Now if I've just fired it and they flash the ult will change the direction and still catch them but if it has almost reached them and people flash away the ult disappears and they receive zero damage. Is it a bug or did I miss something?

Gustavington

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMighty0ne View Post
I'm usually playing Veigar and it happened really often that people flashed out of my ult. Now if I've just fired it and they flash the ult will change the direction and still catch them but if it has almost reached them and people flash away the ult disappears and they receive zero damage. Is it a bug or did I miss something?
When some champions cast a spell they pause or create some sort of animation before the projectile is created (as if throwing or casting the ability). If your target flashes away before this animation is complete then the spell particle will be created and will track them. However, if the particle is already in the air, then when the player flashes it will disappear.

Now I know that flash is supposed to eliminate projectiles (spells, auto-attacks, tower attacks, etc.) but I'm unsure if the "casting-delay" is supposed to be able to bypass it (I doubt it). It might be a bug. In any case, you should count on your spells disappearing when someone flashes, as the timing rarely works out that they flash during your cast.

I noticed this with Katarina and her dagger throw. It definitely seems like it shouldn't happen, as my dagger would sometimes travel twice as far as the designated range.

EDIT: Note when I say "create some animation before the projectile is created" I don't mean channeling. The animation is VERY brief, a small fraction of a second, and is not accompanied by any sort of channel bar.

TheMighty0ne

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavington View Post
When some champions cast a spell they pause or create some sort of animation before the projectile is created (as if throwing or casting the ability). If your target flashes away before this animation is complete then the spell particle will be created and will track them. However, if the particle is already in the air, then when the player flashes it will disappear.

Now I know that flash is supposed to eliminate projectiles (spells, auto-attacks, tower attacks, etc.) but I'm unsure if the "casting-delay" is supposed to be able to bypass it (I doubt it). It might be a bug. In any case, you should count on your spells disappearing when someone flashes, as the timing rarely works out that they flash during your cast.

I noticed this with Katarina and her dagger throw. It definitely seems like it shouldn't happen, as my dagger would sometimes travel twice as far as the designated range.

EDIT: Note when I say "create some animation before the projectile is created" I don't mean channeling. The animation is VERY brief, a small fraction of a second, and is not accompanied by any sort of channel bar.
I know what kind of animation you mean. It's just so frustrating when this happens. Especially early game when the 200 mana is like 1/3 of my mana pool. Feels like the other guy cheated. I would really like to know whether it was intended as such.

Gustavington

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMighty0ne View Post
I know what kind of animation you mean. It's just so frustrating when this happens. Especially early game when the 200 mana is like 1/3 of my mana pool. Feels like the other guy cheated. I would really like to know whether it was intended as such.
When the projectile disappears... that's what is SUPPOSED to happen (no chance of bug, this is what flash does). However, when the spells DOES work, (as in when they flash during the animation) THAT might be a bug.

Craixis

03-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econael View Post
@Stumpster:
here http://www.leagueoflegends.com/learn...ion_statistics
it says that the damage reduction from Armor and MR is calculated armor /(100 + Armor)
which would mean that 100 armor reduce incoming damage by 50%, 150 armor by 60%, 200 armor by 66,66% and 300 armor by 75%

that greatly differs from your example
which one is true?
The data they have there is the math logic they use for it, Stumpster just posted an easier way to think about it.

Gustavington

03-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavington View Post
My question is regarding multiple slows (specifically Rylai's stacking with anivia's slows). I have been searching avidly to find an answer, and to my dismay, I found two.

Here I read that slows do not stack in any way (except that both debuffs are present and only the most effective is applied), which is what I was originally lead to believe. However, here: https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ad.php?t=49359, another mechanics thread, it specifically states that multiple slows stack (and that fact is discussed and eventually supported by posters in the thread). Furthermore, the original post in this thread uses (and credits) the armor/magic pen/reduc mechanics from TiberiusAudley, the author of the other thread.
I have performed a first test on some of these questions. I brought Ashe into a practice game to test slows. I bought Frozen Mallet, got Frost arrow, and Volley.

First Test Lizard:

Auto-Attack with Frozen Mallet ---> decreased speed
Activate Q for Frost Shot ---------> further decreased speed
Volley ------------------------------> FURTHER decreased speed

The last suprised me the most, I had always assumed that the Frost Shot and "Volley also applies Ashes current level of Frost Shot." were the same debuff and would add on to each other.

Second Test Golem:

Auto-Attack with Frozen Mallet and Lizard ---> more initial decreased speed than first test
Activate Q for Frost Shot ----------------------> further decreased speed
Volley ------------------------------------------> further decreased speed

So all 4 slows stack with one another.

Third Test(s) Dragon (sold Frozen Mallet so I could buy Rylais faster):

Volley ---------------------> decreased speed
Buy Rylais Scepter -------> more decreased speed (I made sure not to level Frost Shot on the trip to buy the scepter)
(both stacked with Frost Shot for further slow)

However, I did not notice the oft-claimed "pre-slow" caused by Rylais in that it slows when the spell is cast, not when it hits. I cannot claim this isnt true tho, because of the brief delay between casting and hitting with volley (I plan to test Rylais with Chos slam, Panths Ult, and even Veigers stun cage).

The only combonation I didnt test was Rylais and Frozen Mallet or Red Buff, though Im resaonable confident that they will stack, as the Scepter stacked with Frost Shot.

NOTE: All of these tests were made on monsters, therefore I cannot say whether this is true for sure for champions (next step). Also, as monsters generally dont move far, I was unable to observe there actual move speed, and simply paid attention to there move speed stat by clicking on them (as in, I dont know if actual move speed and reported move speed are definitively the same).

This answers most of my questions, except for multiple Rylais stacking, and ensuring that this works on champions. I also still plan to test if other "chilling" affects work with Anivia, though I will probably need help doing this so it make take time. Also, I will be away for the next 3 weeks, so dont expect any updates soon.

Aki Tensai

03-14-2010

Quote:
Q: How does cooldown reduction work?
A: Cooldown reduction works additively. If you have a 9% cooldown reduction from masteries, and a 10% cooldown reduction from Stinger (an item ingame) you will have a 19% cooldown reduction. However, cooldown reduction HARDCAPS at 40%. This means that you cannot get more than 40% cooldown reduction.
Could this FAQ mention an example of the hardcap being reached?

Ex:
20% Glacial Shroud
~13% from Runes
9% from masteries
~42% total, Results in a ~2% waste.

flashnuke

03-16-2010

Is there a cap to Mpen? if so what is the cap?

EnderA

03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashnuke View Post
Is there a cap to Mpen? if so what is the cap?
No, there is no cap to MPen (Haunting Guise and Sorcerer's Shoes and Void Staff all stack.) HOWEVER, you cannot penetrate more magic resistance than they have.

So if they have 25 magic resistance and you have Haunting Guise and Sorcerer's Shoes, you will only penetrate 25 magic resistance, doing 25% more damage than without them. If they have 100 MR, and you have all 3, then you will penetrate (100 * 40% + 20 + 20) = 80 MR, doing (100/120) / (100/200) = 67% more damage.

EDIT: Could we get the slow stacking part of the FAQ corrected?