Frequently Asked Questions or Mechanics

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrimGriz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-12-2009

Yes, please add a list of hard and soft caps to the front page, it'd be awesome to have a reference for those.

Quote:
Q: How does dodge work?

A: Dodge works with diminishing returns. As an example, let's say you have 10% dodge in your runes.

10% dodge.

You grab Ninja Tabi, which gives 11% dodge.

11% dodge +
(89 * .1) = 8.9% dodge

For a total of 19.9% dodge. (Note that the 89 comes from the percent remaining from the previous dodge percentages have been calculated.)
Can you elaborate on that note? What triggered the diminishing return? If the 89 came from 100-dodge% of the new item, where did the .1 come from? What happened to the 10% from the runes? 10%+8.9% = 18.9% Is the .1 the decimal version of the rune dodge?

It looks like dodge is calculated backwards, i.e. you're getting full value from the last item purchased, and purchasing a new item nerfs your previous boosts/items. So in the initial example buying the ninja tabi nerfs your rune page to 8.9% instead of 10%.

That begs the question if the same is true of masteries and rune pages. Does a dodge buff from masteries nerf the dodge buff from rune pages?

Stumpster

Adjudicator

12-12-2009

All the caps are on the front page, but I'll put them in a list if that will help. (Dodge is softcapped, attack speed is hardcapped at 2.5 attacks per second, movement speed suffers from diminished returns after a certain point, cooldown reduction is hardcapped at 40%.)

It actually doesn't matter in what way you calculate the dodge, it comes out the same. Here, we're taking the Runes into account first and Ninja Tabi second, notice that the percentage of dodge is the same as if we did it the other way around:

10% +
(90 * .11) = 9.9%

19.9% total dodge

GrimGriz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpster View Post
All the caps are on the front page, but I'll put them in a list if that will help.
At least that way one can tell what is capped and assume whatever isn't in the list has no cap

PineappleThis

12-14-2009

Hey, I was curious if you know the answer to the question and comments brought up on this thread. It's whether lifesteal is considered a heal and thus reduced by executioner's buff.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=35512

Blitzcranker

12-14-2009

great

Vladou

12-15-2009

Prior to what PineappleThis mentionned, i'd like to know if Life Steal is considered a heal effect and if so, would Executionner's Calling have any effect on life steal?

GrimGriz

Recruiter

12-18-2009

Quote:
Q: How does armor and magic resistance work? (Credit to Garek for framing it better than I could.)

Every 1 armor means the damage it takes to kill you is extended by 1% of your hitpoints. At 100 armor, it takes 100% more damage to kill you, ie it requires double damage, ie you're taking half-damage. At 300 armor you're taking 25% damage, etc.

Is this diminishing returns? Not really. The damage it takes to kill you is scaling linearly. If you have 1000 hitpoints, then each point of armor means you can take 10 more damage before dying. And this is true no matter how much armor you have (aside from rounding errors). So in that sense, it's linear, and there are no diminishing returns.

Magic resistance works in the exact same fashion, except it does so against spells only. There is no overlap between armor and magic resistance at all. (Ex. Having 500 Armor would have no impact on spells, having 500 Magic Resistance would have no impact on physical attacks)
How does it actually work though?

If enemy has attack power of 46, I has 1000 HP and 0 armor, I'm guessing his attack will do 46 damage. If I has 1000 hp and 50 armor, how much damage will his attack do? If I has 500 hp and 50 armor, how much damage will his attack do? If I has 500 hp and 200 armor, how much damage will his attack do? What's the formula?

Stumpster

Adjudicator

12-18-2009

The formula is:

(Damage)*(1-(x/(abs(x)+100)))

Where x is either armor or magic resistance, depending on the type of damage.

So, at 0 armor, you would do 46 damage.
At 50 armor (health doesn't affect the amount of damage done), you would do 46*(2/3) = ~31 damage.
At 200 armor, you would do 46*(1/3) = ~15 damage.

Mindler

Adjudicator

12-18-2009

I thought I should add this, don't know if its common knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra View Post
Hey devs quick question: With all the really specific numbers in the rune system, it would be nice to know how rounding works. For example: if I get all 0.65% cd glyphs, then my CD reduction is 0.65 * 9 = 5.85%. Does this round to 6% for the game? My goal is 6% so with masteries and 25% cd reduc item, I hit the 40% cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohums View Post
There is no rounding. Some numbers we round visually so that you don't see a zillion decimal places however when computing the math it uses the full numbers.
Source:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=37347

BORF

12-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpster View Post

Q: How does armor and magic resistance work? (Credit to Garek for framing it better than I could.)

Every 1 armor means the damage it takes to kill you is extended by 1% of your hitpoints. At 100 armor, it takes 100% more damage to kill you, ie it requires double damage, ie you're taking half-damage. At 300 armor you're taking 25% damage, etc.

Is this diminishing returns? Not really. The damage it takes to kill you is scaling linearly. If you have 1000 hitpoints, then each point of armor means you can take 10 more damage before dying. And this is true no matter how much armor you have (aside from rounding errors). So in that sense, it's linear, and there are no diminishing returns.

Magic resistance works in the exact same fashion, except it does so against spells only. There is no overlap between armor and magic resistance at all. (Ex. Having 500 Armor would have no impact on spells, having 500 Magic Resistance would have no impact on physical attacks)

I'm not sure why you say armour isn't diminishing returns. If you have 100 armour damage is reduced 50%, if you have 200 armour damage isn't reduced 100%, so isn't that obviously diminishing returns?