Why does no one build armor/magic resistance?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Null Signature

03-29-2013

Usually it's pretty hard to get me riled up and angry, but nothing makes me more rump-rustled than people who refuse to build defensive items in a situation that clearly warrants it. I can't even count how many times I've had this happen. It's detrimental to the team.

It's gotten to where I say "build MR/armor" at the beginning of every game just to get in the team's mind. If people still don't have any defensive items 10-15 minutes in, I'll start calling them out on it and ask them to buy some every time they die.

SylianEUW

03-29-2013

Whether you should build defensive items is situational. Sometimes, going offensive is actually better than building defensive. I've seen Warmog's Poppy. It did not end well...

If you play a long range champion, you probably won't need to build too tanky. An Athene's might be enough for an AP, and a ranged ADC might not need any defensive items at all to function, assuming you know how to position yourself well. If you are playing a melee champion, you probably need to build somewhat tanky. Adjust your build to the enemy team and depending on what you're playing.

Also, items such as Aegis of the Legion/Runic Bulwark and Locket of the Iron Solari can add a lot of tankiness for the team. If your tank builds those item, it will make your whole team quite a bit tankier.

Kalarepa

03-30-2013

Because according to most people MR is useless, cause enemy can just buy Void Staff and apparently 40%=100%. Better get 0 defense, lose game and come to this forum to QQ about Nidalee/Yi/Lux/whatever

FDru

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalarepa View Post
Because according to most people MR is useless, cause enemy can just buy Void Staff and apparently 40%=100%. Better get 0 defense, lose game and come to this forum to QQ about Nidalee/Yi/Lux/whatever
MR is useless against enemies who build to counter it. Building MR is betting on the chance that they don't.

Granted, most players don't build excessive spell pen, but it's a perfectly viable option against MR stackers. Their defensive items are now laughable because you still get plenty of offensive stats from spell pen items.

That said, the only MR items you should buy are Athene's, Abyssal or Hexdrinker/Maw (offensive items) under regular circumstances, or Banshee's Veil if it's really that important (like to help counter a Yi who got fed or a ridiculous CC comp). Of course, one person on the team should always have Bulwark.

Zielmann

03-30-2013

I find some irony that this thread was on the front page just a few spots away from the one talking about how Aegis/Bulwark is too powerful (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3263329, if you hadn't seen it).

I do understand that part of the problem with MR is that it feels relatively difficult to itemize. Not everybody wants/needs Veil, which is like the main individual MR item in the game right now. But Bulwark provides a pretty solid MR buff to the rest of the team. Spirit Visage is also probably a bit under-appreciated, especially if you have a healer on your team.

But to say that MR is useless if people counter it is just silly. Stacking MR is less of a complete shutdown of mages now, after the changes to how pen works. But they still have to actually build to counter it. And if they are just stacking pen, they actually won't have as much AP as their raw damage won't be as high as it could have been if they stacked more AP.

Building defense requires building a balance of MR, armor, and HP. At a certain point, more HP will mean more against mages than throwing on more MR.

GrosPigeon

03-30-2013

Saying that pen stacking is a counter to mr stacking is a simple demonstration of stupidity.

Flat mr is always the counter to flat pen not the opposite. The more mr you have, the more spellpen items like sorc abyssal and haunting/liandry fall off because their purpose is to get your mr to 0 so that you can deal true damage. Having more mr than they have flat pen is essential.

No **** void staff counters mr. With the masteries you have roughly 45% pen I believe and since mr has diminishing returns, yeah you only keep 55% of your mr (before flat pen) but it's also the 55% most effective that you keep. So mr is ALWAYS a good thing to have.

Any mr item is fine, there's no list of right or wrong. A good team will most likely have a bulwark built on someone.

HaIfhearted

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
MR is useless against enemies who build to counter it. Building MR is betting on the chance that they don't.
This is by far the biggest buff mages received with the S3 changes.

"HURR DURR HE BUILT SOME M.PEN SO I'M GOING TO GO CLASS CANNON AND DIE EVEN FASTER"

Keep itemizing no MR please, people.
My mages will love you for it.

FDru

03-30-2013

Okay, I'll keep itemizing no MR and winning 80% of my games.

Quote:
The more mr you have, the more spellpen items like sorc abyssal and haunting/liandry fall off because their purpose is to get your mr to 0 so that you can deal true damage
So if what I said was simple stupidity, does that make this some kind of advanced high-level stupidity?

Beravin

03-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
Building defense requires building a balance of MR, armor, and HP. At a certain point, more HP will mean more against mages than throwing on more MR.
What if you have both and still get blown up? My last game (Rammus) had Warmogs, Bulwark, Spirits Visage + Defensive Ball Curl, and I was still getting nuked by Fizz / Zilean for the majority of my health. Now, if I was some team-killing Xin Zhao I'd understand, but I'm a dedicated tank, and I can barely stay alive in fights to do what my team requires me to do.

ZerglingsForZion

03-30-2013

If I'm any form of dps and am taking significant magic harass or burst I buy a plain old negatron cloak and sit on it. 40 MR for ~700g is a great bargin and I don't need to finish the MR item for a paltry 5-10 more mr until late, late game.