Listen: You Care Too Much

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BrightestCrayon

03-28-2013

I'm not the most experienced summoner out there- I only just hit 30 a few weeks ago. I haven't started ranked matches yet, but I don't think my attitude will change once I get there. I'm just tired of all the "I don't think I'm bad (but I totally am and refuse to change which is why I'm stuck in bronze) and everyone else sucks" and "toxic players" posts.

So in normals, everyone knows that there's a large section of the community that people would refer to as toxic, trolls, or "bads." I imagine from the posts I read here every day that the situation is the same for the majority of people in ranked.

Here's the thing- some of the time, toxic players are complaining about mistakes you ACTUALLY are making. They may not be polite, and they may use offensive language or insults, but seriously, who gives half a flying ********. In the case where I'm actually playing badly, I apologize and acknowledge my mistakes. If the toxic player keeps ragging on me, I use a special tactic called "ignoring", because that's what adults do when someone's intentionally being a jerk. You should also be making a conscious effort to improve your gameplay, which would substantially decrease your chances of being harassed by dickwads.

Now, on the other hand, sometimes the guy ragging on you is just dumb; blaming you for some failure that isn't your fault, and doesn't understand game fundamentals. I understand the temptation to respond to this person with all the bile and vitriol you're capable of summoning, because idiots are supremely annoying; BUT DON'T GIVE IN. Just ignore him, because in this case he's an idiot and you can report him if you feel like it. It might look better in the Tribunal if you aren't giving him as much sh*t as he's giving you. Feel free to politely inform him why he's wrong, but getting into internet arguments is stupid.

This brings me to the ultimate point of this post- who really cares. It's a damn game. It's satisfying and fun to win, and you should always play your best and try to win for the sake of your team. But if you're losing and it's out of your control due to trolls or what have you, then I'm not certain why you should waste your energy caring. Unless you're getting laid or a promotion at work as a direct result of your League of Legends ranking, I don't think winning a game has any sort of tangible or important impact on your life. Just play your best, and you win in spirit.

So in the end, what I'm really trying to say is that toxic players are only a problem if you make them a problem for yourself. If they're griefing or intentionally feeding or being racist or whatever, report them, but don't waste your time and energy (this includes making whiny forum posts) investing emotion in their nonsense. The Tribunal is supposed to be there so you don't have to worry about dealing with jerks yourself.

/wall of text

GentleManly Tige

03-29-2013

I approve of this post.

I constantly have this problem of people yelling at me when I'm having a bad game, or they don't know the role I'm playing such as: "Oh Kha'Zix, you ****ing chicken why didn't you help me" when there's the full enemy team, and there's just me and this guy alone. I just tell these guys "Do you think I care when a hater yells at me?" and I leave them at that. Don't talk to them. I think the only time a guy really got to me when I had to argue (For some reason whenever I use the ignore command it never works, even if I put it in right.) was with a Kassadin named "5 xp". he was one of THOSE guys, you know, the ones who think they're the best and make an excuse after every death no matter how fair it was, and is just cocky and acts like a 10 year old kid kind of guy. After that match I thanked God for the fact it was over, and I also wanted to punch someone after that kid. Imagine if there was an all chat button. Dear god, the world would end for me.

Robotiny

03-29-2013

This is how you get to diamond people.

Whoa There Betsy

03-29-2013

Praise the lawd, give this thread starter a freaking medal!!!