Do you understand and/or like the new league system?

I understand how the new system works and I like it 15 31.25%
I donít understand how the new system works, but I still like it 0 0%
I donít care 9 18.75%
I understand how the new league system works and I donít like it 23 47.92%
I donít understand how the new system works and I donít like it 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

A level-headed discussion of the new league system to determine how liked it is.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VG Shield

03-27-2013

More people are trolling than ever, so i think we can do better.

Rossingol

03-27-2013

The whole LP clamping thing is really dissuading me from even wanting to try ranked when originally I was super stoked about starting to ranked more because this system seemed super cool in theory.

From what I've been reading, across the board it does not seem like much fun when you're A) at Division 5 where no one cares and there's more trolling, B) At your promotion because if you lose you're ****ed C) you try really hard and win a bunch of games then suddenly lose it all in 2 games or D) you are close to your promotion and suddenly you go on a 3 game winning streak for 1 LP each time then lose one and lose 20 or E) you get negative LP for winning (just the fact that this is a POSSIBILITY bugs me, there is something inherently wrong with something here even if it probably won't ever affect me).

The idea that LP gains become more difficult to insure you're not just on a lucky streak befuddles me because it kind of seems what you actually need (at least in lower elos?) is indeed a lucky streak to run into less AFKers/trolls/ragers if you want to get to a certain point in your division where skill can take over. I think I may have worded this wrong but I think the whole "we want to make sure you're not just on a lucky streak" thing is counterintuitive.

I destroy noobs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2013

Not to be a jerk but the only people that ever complained about the ranked system are people that suck at the game. If you're good you'll get to the top regardless of how the system works.

Hackulator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larias View Post
Personally, I like it. Even though he doesn't know it, RiotSilver and I have a competition to stay highest in our league. I am motivated every time he passes me, so I sadistically cheered when he didn't get promoted and I did.

I like it more than Elo for damn sure.
The thing is, ELO is still the system. The League tags are an almost entirely cosmetic thing added on as an overlay for ELO. The reason they cause problems is because they mean almost nothing, and so they function in an odd way that doesn't make sense to people because it doesn't need to make sense, it's purely cosmetic.

DarthReckoner

03-27-2013

I voted don't care, and here's why:

1. MMR, ELO, or division rankings....they all do the same thing...show you where your skill level lies in comparison to the player base.
2. If you just really gotta know that magic number rating, use LoLKing.net
3. I'm a newbie lvl 12 and can't play ranked.

Personally I don't see why anyone really, truly cares about their personal ranking for a TEAM based game.

A highly skilled quarter back is going to have a horrible QB rating if he has a crappy offensive line and receivers who can't get open. But when a QB has receivers he practices with regularly and an offensive line he can trust, then he can finally shine.

As a new player to this community, if I had discovered that all solo que games were normals and only pre-made teams could play ranked games, I wouldn't be offended by this. In fact this would probably keep all the trolls out of ranked games and further promote players to seek out like-minded people to play with and generate an overall more pleasant ranked game experience, but that argument is horse of another color.

Basically I would put more value in my team's ranking than I would my solo ranking of playing w/ randoms.

thumbnail9

03-27-2013

I understand how it works but I don't like.

More for the fact it gives a false hope of advancement to many people and doesn't accurately represent how hard it is to actually progress when you are not incredibly streaky.

PeppermyntButler

03-27-2013

I'm new to ranked, but from my experience so far, it seems the system is more rewarding to higher (lower silver+) tier players than the lower tiers. Lower tiers our fate is dependent on others who are also learning so your own skill is kind of negated. Trolls are a big problem in all tiers but especially the lower. I have won games and gained points then quickly lose them with trolls and being paired with people with less skill and more skill.

Aithòs

03-27-2013

I understand how it works and I'm in the middle, I like some things and dislike others. Honestly, if they display ELO again a lot of the problems will be fixed. The biggest problem is that people think the matchmaking changed and that they can't fall below their current tier division V. So people in division V don't care about losses and continue to tank their ELO and then wonder why they win 5 and lose 25 points.

Even if you are bronze V you can still tank your ELO. Losing matters no matter what, so not trying or intentionally trolling doesn't help anyone, you just make it so you'll never promote.

Freakyweakywoo

03-27-2013

Like someone mentioned I too actually mostly ignore the ladders now and just monitor my LoLKing score, but I feel I am missing out on what Riot have presented me with. I will send out some friend requests to some people in my ladder to see if I can drum up some rivalry or friendships to engage in the ladder more actively.

I think the league system was created as a sub-game to play while we aquire Elo, but people now focus on it as the actual game.

Purgation

03-27-2013

I voted I don't care, because there wasn't really an option that covered my opinion.

I think the overall idea is good, but needs significant work (as implemented, its bad/broken in other words)

I'd like to see fairly durable bands that strongly tend to represent real levels of game knowledge and skill, and as a result, you shouldn't be bouncing from band to band very often. In addition, there should be a stronger bias towards actually playing with and against playing with people on the same mini-ladder.