Do you understand and/or like the new league system?

I understand how the new system works and I like it 15 31.25%
I donít understand how the new system works, but I still like it 0 0%
I donít care 9 18.75%
I understand how the new league system works and I donít like it 23 47.92%
I donít understand how the new system works and I donít like it 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

A level-headed discussion of the new league system to determine how liked it is.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Freakyweakywoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2013

Please click on the poll first, what is written below will bias those results, so click up there first please.

How about we have a nice level-headed discussion of now we think this new league system is working out?

I voted for I understand how it works and I donít like it. The most accurate measure of how well we are doing (MMR) is hidden from us behind a glossy league system with divisions and tiers and promotion matches. In reality the tiers / divisions are largely meaningless.
It seems to me that if the system is using my hidden MMR to decide who is in my matches and how many LP I gain or lose per game, which ultimately means MMR decides when I get promoted, it should be hidden from me, it should be the main focus.

In season 2 we had Elo, a number that went up and down a little bit with each match. The flux of this number showed your improvement or lack thereof over time (long and short term). The only real complaints I saw were the odd person losing games the matchmaker thought they would win then winning games it expected them to anyway, leading to larger losses than gains in the short term.

One of the key selling points of the new system was supposed to be that you would develop a rivalry with the other people in your league as you try to get ahead of them. Is anyone actually doing that? I couldnít tell you the user name of a single person in my league if Iím honest and out of the 50 or so people I randomly added to my friend list only 1 of them is even in my league at all. Do we think this feature has panned out as Riot intended?

Swampmajikk

03-27-2013

...what poll?

Freakyweakywoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2013

It takes time to set the poll up after posting, it is up now

Larias

Adjudicator

03-27-2013

Personally, I like it. Even though he doesn't know it, RiotSilver and I have a competition to stay highest in our league. I am motivated every time he passes me, so I sadistically cheered when he didn't get promoted and I did.

I like it more than Elo for damn sure.

Freakyweakywoo

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larias View Post
Personally, I like it. Even though he doesn't know it, RiotSilver and I have a competition to stay highest in our league. I am motivated every time he passes me, so I sadistically cheered when he didn't get promoted and I did.

I like it more than Elo for damn sure.
Nice, I think I should make more of an effort to embrace this aspect, perhaps my yearning for the old system is because I'm currently competing with only against myself, which the old system was better at displaying.

ScarPirate

03-27-2013

I find it more grind oriented.
further, LP and the tiers have exposed issues that were been there since s2.
the only thing I would really like changed is seeing my mmr. to be honest, I find that repeated promotion series losses is far more depressing then a losing streak in s2

Tesma

03-27-2013

I like the idea behind it but I think it needs some tuning. I think MMR needs to have less impact on who you get matched with. Should be playing with/against players no more than one tier above/below your own.

Freakyweakywoo

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesma View Post
I like the idea behind it but I think it needs some tuning. I think MMR needs to have less impact on who you get matched with. Should be playing with/against players no more than one tier above/below your own.
I'd like to see the distribution of MMR across teirs / divsions. Have we readched a point where Silver and Gold 5s have an actual lower average MMR than the Bronze and Silver 1s "below" them? Likelowest to highest is ... B2, S5, B1, S4, S3.... or are the distrubutions still looking okay? I guess I will never know without Riot giving out the information.

AxeRaider

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesma View Post
thats a silly idea. how would you like to be up for promotion from silver 1 to gold 5 and then you end up with a bronze 5 plauyer who got elo boosted to gold. As the op said the league system is just a way to visualize your progress, mmr is your true representation of skill, and should be the main thing determining your oppoents

CarePoliceLoL

03-27-2013

It's a terrible thing, I wouldn't even call it a system. Just visuals covering old elo number.

They made it look nice and advertised it w/o telling how it really works so people think it's something good.