There isn't enough sugar in the world to cover this. Read it at your own risk.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

M3GaL0d0n

03-26-2013

For all the Agreements, EULA's and Terms of Service gamers accept without having a clue what their getting into, one you should probably actually read is the Summoners Code. This relatively short set of Community Pillars sets a series of standards to live up to while you play League of Legends. While you may never see anything from an EULA you've accepted ever again. The players you get bundled up to play with, or against, all have an opportunity to judge you based on the Summoner's Code every single game you play. This may seem threatening, but only if you deliberately act in such a way that ruins another player's experience in the game.

So I ask every single one of you who bother with trying to better yourselves at this game. Why not actually honor your agreement with the Summoners Code? There are cool ribbons in store for those that do. But beyond aesthetics, you are making the game much more enjoyable by taking away a lot of the negative energy that permeates in the community.

So for those of you who say, "There isn't THAT much negative energy." Every time I've heard League of Legends brought up in any other community, whether it be Team Fortress 2, Reddit, GWJ Podcasts, or even people around me, I've never heard anyone praise the community's air of friendliness or good-sportsmanship.

Ever. Because right now it really doesn't exist.

What I would like to get at is that you abide by a fairly simply rule of thumb, this is very difficult to follow, and just because you keep it in mind doesn't make it much easier to practice. But try it anyways.

"Treat others the way you would like to be treated."

To those of you that say,

"But I'm not a negative player, I only get angry if someone on my team is doing really badly."

But with one winning team and one losing team every single game. Isn't there always going to be one or two people to catch all the flak from every other sour player in the game, including yours? Do they really deserve those insults? Do they? Sure it's hard to deal with poor players, its frustrating when something goes wrong. But let's be honest now, why isn't it your fault you lost? You were on that team, you had the exact same opportunities to farm or gank. You could've lead your team by making strong plays. You could've even followed another persons lead to reinforce a strong play. You could coordinate. You could win.

But perish the thought you actually fail at these things sometimes.

Heaven forbid you actually lose a game. How could that be? And if you did, how could it be your fault? Surely it was your ally's fault that a champion from another lane came up and killed you though a bush you didn't ward. Surely you could've done nothing about it, it was all their fault.

But maybe it wasn't theirs. Maybe if you had planned an escape knowing that an enemy with teleport can appear anywhere on the map there is a ward, pet or minion. But surely it was safe to walk into the enemy jungle to try and steal a buff. People never ward those things anyways, what a waste of money. I have no idea why they just so happened to show up right as I finished killing the Ancient Golem.

"But no really, I had a score of 9/4/8, I didn't cause the loss, my support did."

"You know what caused the loss? Your nexus blew up. Why did that happen? Your team failed at doing the same thing to the enemy base. Who is on that team? You."

You could've always been in a better position to assist a teammate by watching what they are doing and communicating so your combined efforts turn lost objectives into victories. You may have had a positive score, but lets be honest, that gigantic red banner reading DEFEAT is nothing to be proud of, no matter how well you did.

The real reason you ought not to say negative things about your teammates is because you have absolutely no right to do so. Maybe you can actually play better than them. Maybe if things happened exactly the way you planned, you would be winning. Does that mean that you should direct words at them that are going to be translated into asterisks by the chat filter? Does playing better than someone mean that you have the right to insult them?

Nope.

Now, sometimes jokes that run along the borders of insults happen to be very funny and are usually thrown out in good spirit, but a lot of the time they come across as bullying. Try to inject humor into your games whenever you can, it lightens the mood and makes the game more enjoyable. It can also give you a little more personality rather than just another pub in solo queue. But also be aware of how you come across to the player you just jabbed at. If your jokes bear no defining characteristics that make them stand out from your insults, you ought to stow them. You're only contributing to the negative energy this community is so famous for.

So step up and first off, own up to your ****. It's yours, its your fault, its your lackluster skills in the eyes of the enemy. Its your poor decisions. You make mistakes, there was something you could've done better, own it. Learn from it. Embrace your flaws and then BEAT THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF THEM by practicing and refining your skills and your attitude so they never appear again to blemish your scoreboard.

Do this so you have a great time playing this game taking both wins and losses with good spirits as a prelude to the next battle regardless of what happened last round. Which you will play to have fun and consequently make fun for others on both sides of the conflict by bringing good sportsmanship and a worthy adversary to the field. Rather than drawing in reports and being ignored by those you insulted and purposefully annoyed.

The last part is forgiveness, some people forget these rules and the fundamentals of why games were invented. Modern competitive games at their core weren't invented as an outlet of anger and frustration on other people though insults or belittlement. They were an outlet of competition, a chance to show off ones skills for sport and to exercise their strength and talents were they wouldn't be able otherwise. But sometimes the (Mostly) noble intentions of the creators of a game take a backseat and foul behavior comes into play.

These offenders deserve some grace, as long as they ask for it, people make mistakes all the time. You should always seek to correct misbehavior, but you should never seek to repair by means of destruction. You're only reversing your own efforts, whether you believe it or not. So when you do blow a gasket and flame someone, you should always blow off some steam as quickly as you can and try to get a situation under control by owning up to your potty-mouth. Snowballing is hard to stop and can be seemingly impossible if it gets along far enough, so your best bet it to avoid starting an argument. But when you do, turning it around as fast as you can will bring your team's focus back and give you a chance at winning a previously lost cause. Not only that, but it allows a leader to take center stage rather than an upset. Which gives you a better chance at outplaying your opponent.

The only way you can improve the community is by giving them something to aim at, and reason to pursue a goal, not just sit around moping because they cannot seem to raise their ELO higher because League of Legends simply isn't their game. The only reason 1000 ELO is unpleasant to play at as opposed to 2000 ELO is because the community is very sour. Both have players who are out of their depth or aren't able to outplay their enemies. So to those of you who actually embrace the rules in the Summoner's Code because it stands as a means to encourage a better community. Take action by setting an example of what it means to follow those rules and show others why they would be better off if they honored the Summoner's Code than if not.

Get your act together and have some humility when you play. You play like you mean it, to win. But you cannot forget to play with grace so you do not drag your name through the mud when you lose. You have no incentive to be a perfectionist, to spite those that don't live up to standards you cannot meet yourself. What you do have the incentive to do is to make a community that is currently characterized by foul attitudes into one that embraces friendly competition for what it is. And to make a game enjoyable because its community makes it challenging and dynamic. You aren't a perfectionist, you are a gamer, and this generation holds the right to define what that means. How about you make it something to be proud of?

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

Its a long read, and those who need to read it never will. None the less, I agree with everything said 2042%.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2013

TL;DR?: OP is upset that there are more ******bags in LoL than other games. Which is true, if you're not counting other MOBA's, in which LoL probably has one of the best communities. It's listed in the Summoner's Code (which you agree to in order to play), that you are NOT to be a ******bag, yet there's still many players breaking that code, and thus are technically breaking the law.

As to why there are more "ragers" on MOBA's than other games, think about it this way:

If Riot or Blizzard or some other gaming corporation decided on a flat -20% nerf on a specific champion or class, people would be SO MAD. And most would agree. However, in a MOBA, one member of your team is 20%. A fifth of your chance of winning against the enemy. That's a big deal.
Then you throw in the additional gold your ally is giving away, and that 20% team strength difference soon becomes 30%.

That's not saying OP is wrong; I'm just giving some clarification on the fact. If you really want to know why people rage on such a team-based game, remember that they have just received a 10-30% nerf.
I'm not sympathizing for these kinds of people, I just think it's important to understand your enemy.

Lethadind

03-26-2013

I agree with both the OP and Z The Slayer.

I've been around the community for awhile now, and I've seen all kinds of raging and all kinds of sportsmanship. There exists, in any community, about any subject, three types of people:

Those who react positively.
Those who react negatively.
Those who aren't sure how to react, and are swayed by persuasion. The "swing" group.

This is a marketing term, but it applies here. Some people are just awesome. Some people are just toxic. Some people learn to be awesome or toxic, but aren't necessarily one or the other. The swing group is the largest group in almost any community. The point is to market positivity (or sometimes negativity) in such a way that it pulls a majority of the swing group. This is what the OP is doing, and I believe he's done it in an effective (although long-winded) way. Way to go dood. Best of luck! I honestly believe that if we keep this bumped it'll reach people it needs to reach, mostly because of the catchy title. There'll be some kid who, fed up with losing, will come here and post his own "What do I do when [my team sucks]?" topic, and then he'll look around, see this post, and feel a little more positive about the whole thing.

It happened to me. So it can happen to others.

M3GaL0d0n

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z The Slayer View Post
TL;DR?
This is enough for me to safely suggest you may have missed the point. I'm upset people rage in general, not because I think they shouldn't. But because it cripples your chances of winning an upset and more importantly, it ruins the game. The MOBA genre is unique in that you cannot simply leave a game when you aren't playing up to your usual par. Because of this I think you need to step it up a little bit when it comes to focusing on the game when you play.

League of Legends is one a few games that is extremely involved with the competitive level of play because of the effect E-Sports has on the way that the game is played. However, I think this has given players a sense of entitlement they do not deserve and that people should just suck up their ego when they lose and encourage the other team when they win.

In an FPS, its very easy to speak fondly of the players on the other team because there are far fewer stakes in an FPS. If you lose to a stacked team, it lasts ~10 minutes and then the teams are scrambled. The stakes in League are mostly the same, both teams get paid roughly the same in game cash or XP.

The problem comes from ELO, because people feel they need to have a good score so they have bragging rights, which causes them to be upset when they don't get it. This isn't childish, everyone suffers from it at some point. They blame their teammates for outrageous things and insist they played to the best of their ability. Humility goes a long way here.

If people would get over the thought process that says being at ~1200 ELO means you are bad and somehow reduces your worth as a human. They would be able to keep in good spirits and the game would be much more enjoyable at low ELO's.

TL;DR, just for you...

People's ego shouldn't relate to their skill level just because they are put on a ladder. If you get over yourself and play to have fun. The community will literally make the game itself more enjoyable.

P.S. I'll restate this because it reinforces my point. If you are a good example of a cool and collected player, you ought to take pride in the fact and act that way as best you can to try to encourage other players to do the same. You need to beat out the "Toxic" crowd, because they ruin the experience for others. It's like banning cheaters simply by convincing them to stop cheating.

Wizard Of Ham

03-28-2013

Moving thread. I am usually the one raged at which is angering because i will go 9/5 victory, then go 0/4 defeat the next game and get reported. I'm just sick of getting reported by sore losers for no reason.

Metathesio

03-28-2013

Everything is relative. MOBA's, including (and particularly) DotA back in WC3, typically have childishly elitist playerbases.

(Also, wrong subforum)

AsthislainX

03-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z The Slayer View Post
TL;DR?: OP is upset that there are more ******bags in LoL than other games. Which is true, if you're not counting other MOBA's, in which LoL probably has one of the best communities.
Well, stating that is not a relief, either.