Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Master Yi a good jungler?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jasiel21

03-26-2013

I LOVE Master Yi AD Jungle cause is so much fun (for me) because I find he can take down the jungle really fast and the Q E R is so good I kill people fast when helping in a gank and pretty much I AD Carry and Jungle in the Normal matches because most people who pick ADC champions are bad. Is Master Yi a good champion for ranked when I reach my 777 wins or should I quit him and start playing something else?

PS

I like AP Mids, ADCs, and Jungler could you guys also recommend me some of the best in these three categories? I would really appreciate.

Z The Slayer

03-26-2013

Master Yi is great for damage, but jungling isn't about damage; it's about giving the advantage to your allies. This is why most junglers have stuns. All Yi has is a dash, which is fine, so long as your team doesn't need more CC.

To jungle Yi effectively, 2-3 of your allies need to have some kind of hard CC. This means like a Renekton top or a Taric on bot. Without any stuns, Yi cannot effectively teamfight and can only attack stranded enemies.

Yi's squishy-high damage kit is why you see so many just go for backdoor rather than participate in team fights. It still wins games, but should only be used if your team has room for it.

For junglers, I like Vi and Malphite, although Mal has a slow-ish clear and requires blue consistently, so you need to make sure your mid doesn't need it (Kat and Kennen are great choices with Mal jungle)

As for AP mids, it depends on your playstyle. I love Morde, Akali and Ziggs, but they all play so differently and are effective in different situations, so without more to go on than "I love Master Yi", I can't give you any more advice than going AP Yi.

It is worth noting that Master Yi is probably not a good pick in ranked, because he has no form of cc and he is a one-trick-pony, regardless of how you build him. Anyone with any notable rank will know when to stun him, when to ignite, and how to avoid alpha strike.

As for ADCs, Draven is actually deceptively easy; you just need to practice catching axes to your muscle memory. But doing so is actually very fun; I'll do it in a custom game against Malphite Bot occasionally just for fun and practice. Otherwise, your ADC choice should be considered with what you're looking for (speed, harassment, dueling) as well as what your support brings to the table (Stuns, engagements, passive play).

For example, Vayne does well with Blitz (can tumble then stun with ease), but not so much Leona (can't position her stun). Vayne requires cool thinking under stress and trick plays, but rewards very well for it; as opposed to Ezreal, who is more about positioning than anything.

FlowyS

03-26-2013

Two things that probably are important.

1) Red Buff is extremely important for Master Yi's gank potential. Master Yi get red, super gank time! They deny Master Yi red, ganking is going to be very hard.

2) Master Yi brings a ton of damage to the field but not any crowd control.

jasiel21

03-26-2013

Quote:
Z The Slayer:
Master Yi is great for damage, but jungling isn't about damage; it's about giving the advantage to your allies. This is why most junglers have stuns. All Yi has is a dash, which is fine, so long as your team doesn't need more CC.

To jungle Yi effectively, 2-3 of your allies need to have some kind of hard CC. This means like a Renekton top or a Taric on bot. Without any stuns, Yi cannot effectively teamfight and can only attack stranded enemies.

Yi's squishy-high damage kit is why you see so many just go for backdoor rather than participate in team fights. It still wins games, but should only be used if your team has room for it.

For junglers, I like Vi and Malphite, although Mal has a slow-ish clear and requires blue consistently, so you need to make sure your mid doesn't need it (Kat and Kennen are great choices with Mal jungle)

As for AP mids, it depends on your playstyle. I love Morde, Akali and Ziggs, but they all play so differently and are effective in different situations, so without more to go on than "I love Master Yi", I can't give you any more advice than going AP Yi.

It is worth noting that Master Yi is probably not a good pick in ranked, because he has no form of cc and he is a one-trick-pony, regardless of how you build him. Anyone with any notable rank will know when to stun him, when to ignite, and how to avoid alpha strike.

As for ADCs, Draven is actually deceptively easy; you just need to practice catching axes to your muscle memory. But doing so is actually very fun; I'll do it in a custom game against Malphite Bot occasionally just for fun and practice. Otherwise, your ADC choice should be considered with what you're looking for (speed, harassment, dueling) as well as what your support brings to the table (Stuns, engagements, passive play).

For example, Vayne does well with Blitz (can tumble then stun with ease), but not so much Leona (can't position her stun). Vayne requires cool thinking under stress and trick plays, but rewards very well for it; as opposed to Ezreal, who is more about positioning than anything.

So it is not viable?

I just wanna make sure that when I jump into solo ranked I don't ruin other people and they lose elo.

Here I'll tell you the champions I play very, or decently well, and hopefully you can respond.

LeBlanc Good
Master Yi Pro I would say lol
Kha'Zix Good
Veigar Go full AP lol so Pro 1 shot
Nidalee Pro
Ryze Good-Pro range
Katarina Good

and I do not mean by any means that I am pro at the champion, just saying I am really good, exceedingly better than other in normal

ExHamster

03-26-2013

eh, get exhaust, or else you are semi useless most of the time without a good team comp

Z The Slayer

03-26-2013

Master Yi is viable as long as you don't need any more crowd control. If you only have one stun in your entire team, don't use Yi. Yi can clear the jungle and gank quickly, meaning tons of gold, but you NEED to have stuns in your lanes.

LeBlanc counters harassers. She doesn't do well in full on duels, so avoid Talon, Fizz, Akali and Ryze.

Veigar is the same way and can be used in almost all situations LB can be used in. Veigar has his stun, though, so pick him if you need a teamfight CC. Use LB if you need straight damage.

Kha'Zix destroys anyone squishier than he is, which is why he usually goes mid. He's no good against traditional bruisers, though.

Nidalee can't handle anyone faster than she is, especially if they have stuns. She can usually take out anyone that's not in this category, though.

Ryze dominates most close ranged champs. His range is terrible, though, and you'll get harassed by long ranged AP.

Katarina can destroy champions that don't have an easy stun. This includes Veigar, Brand and Morgana. She'll get rip to shreds against anyone with easy CC, like Kass or LeBlanc.

A big part of ranked is knowing proper matchups. If you can come up with a way to counter the enemy (or compensate for your team's weakness) you might become the deciding factor in your team's victory.

mighty roy 627

10-04-2014

Master yi awesome

mighty roy 627

10-04-2014

Project yasuo is even better

TMIT

10-06-2014

Without hard cc on teammates, you will probably need to split push. That can work well if you know what you're doing with good judgment, but managing the waves so that you can do real base damage or force one of their guys back is important. If they can 5v4 and trash your team without you doing damage you're going to lose, but if your team camps a turret and they don't peel multiple guys back to stop you then can wind up taking turrets + rax and win.