Red Elixir Top openings

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CorneliusSavarin

03-25-2013

How do you guys deal with it?

For those that don't know, its a strategy by starting off with a Red Elixir, mostly used at Top (and MAYBE Mid with an AD champ). You 'cheese' your opponent with an all-in strat by popping your Red Elixir at the right moment and do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. It can be hard to trade blows with the opponent with the buff, and it can save the guy if he was almost going to die in an extremely close exchange due to the instant health you get.This tends to snowball the lane if successful.

The really frustrating part is, even if you kill the person the Elixir is still on them when they respawn(i think).

So i am wondering, how do you guys deal with this? What opening, what strat would you recommend..? Curious also to what you guys think of this.

Examples of champs i see this often on are Rengar, Riven, and possibly Lee/Xin.

Geminex

03-25-2013

Red elixiirs are expensive, 250 a pop. If that's starting gold, then your opponent is either gonna get a much later start on his build, or much worse sustain. Make use of that. 250 will buy you 7 potions in any combination you like. The elixir will certainly give your enemy an advantage in the engagement they use it in, but you're going to have way more reserves overall, particularly when it comes to sustain. My suggestion would just be to not all-in. Farm up, skirmish, out-sustain them. If you make them pop the elixir, play defensively for a while, in the knowledge that every second that passes loses them about 1.4 gold.

Sottaly

03-25-2013

Don't all in them. Don't be in a position to be all inned. Even if you have to forgo small amounts of CS. You can always CS later, but deaths are permanent.

Also: Poke Poke Poke

Azellos

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sottaly View Post
Don't all in them. Don't be in a position to be all inned. Even if you have to forgo small amounts of CS. You can always CS later, but deaths are permanent.

Also: Poke Poke Poke
This is very true. Think of the red pot as the new dorans blade opening. Whereas dorans used to be (and still can be) a way to get ahead in lane early, red pot basically is a more extreme version that dissapearas after awhile. Best counter is to be wary of an all-in as they are very likely to have the upper hand. Poke em consistently so they can never all-in you, and just cs so you get ahead 3 minutes later.

AcornGames

03-26-2013

Everyones given good points so far, so my suggestion is that you don't forget to check their inventory to see if they have the elixir and play accordingly. Has this become a trend at top? I normally play Mid as Pantheon who is an AD champ so maybe ill try it out.

Nightwhite3

03-26-2013

I always start with red elixer, 4 pots, and a ward when im top. Its a very strong start, the best way to counter it is to activate your elixer at the same time.