A quick guide to better play.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Usually AFK

03-24-2013

A mini guide to improving successfulness in League of Legends.
Its more than just creep score and kills
Losing a lane because you got countered? My favorite example is a player auto locking Lux who gets countered hard by many champions including Fizz, Katarina, and Kassadin. Also!!! By using Lux as an example remember it is just an example. Any champion can be destructive in the right hands. Don’t first pick your mid or top lane… Trade with someone, its not hard. Talk about your picks in the Champion Select Screen! Or if you do have to pick your lane first, maybe pick a consistent champion for your lane who is difficult to counter or has good survivability(Such as an Elise, Shen, or Kayle). Or chose a champion who you know how to play well enough to deal with counters). With that being said, it is a strategy game. Not only should you pick to try to counter your lane opponent, but also consider how effective your pick will synchronize with the rest of your team(Such as a poke comp or matching an ADC with a support who compliments them).
Show the jungler some respect
Don’t blame the god damn jungler. If you can’t win (or at least hold your own) your lane by yourself, that is your fault… you picked your own poison, so deal with it. The jungler will come when they see an opportunity to help the lane. The jungler obviously is not trying to sabotage the entire game. The whole point of a jungler is to let more champions farm more gold and gain more experience, while being able to assist lanes who may be struggling due to a counter or other reasons (within reason, do not rely on them to win your lane… you are the one laning against your opponent, not your jungler.).
Misconceptions about Warding
Another point that should be made is that it is not only the supports’ job to ward. I do not know where this idea came from. The number one way to avoid being ganked is by purchasing your own wards. Yes, the 75 gold slows down your build… but did you consider the fact that if you die to a gank, you gave the other team more than 75 gold? Think of the kill from the gold AND the extra creep score they get while you are out of lane. Give that idea a second to stick in your mind. If a ward saves one life, it was more than worth the gold.
How mistakes SHOULD be handled...
Next up, your team gives first blood and the first few kills? IT IS ****ING OKAY. Not just in League of Legends, but all sports, how many times have you seen an epic comeback been made? It has happened in top notch games such as the Super Bowl, World Cup matches, and finals in League of Legends tournaments. Oh and could I maybe mention that mistakes will be made. Your ADC misses quite a few last hits over the first few minutes of the game or the mid overextends slightly and dies. It is not “ggwp, mid fed” or “noob adc”. It sucks they missed them but its called “Oops, I ****ed up. My bad.” The person playing is doing their best, don’t put them down. And of course, for the person who missed creep score or died without reason, own up to your mistake. People rage much less when you let them know you are sorry for the mistake. Some times people will even encourage you to play better.
Feeders
Oh and to simply address this, feeders will happen. It will be part of the game. Some people unfortunately will give up and ruin the game for the rest of the people, including the other team. I say including the other team because now they have to waste twenty minutes of what could have been a good practice to get better at the game and potentially lose valuable learning experiences. Okay, now bear with me with this idea. This will be difficult to wrap your mind around but lets just take this very plausible idea that some people are just not good at League of Legends! Try as hard as they may... but unfortunately sometimes some people cannot compete at the high level of play. It may suck to come to that conclusion but no amount rage will make them better. Make the best of the moment.
The right mentality
Like any sport, the correct mentality is needed to be successful. One of the most important parts of this game is having the drive to win. With just this, one can feel the intensity of the game and play with passion. This will generally make one play better with just this in mind. Another thing to consider, but is hard to do, is to change your perspective on the game. This will be very hard for some people because their own pride and ignorance will stand in the way. But! Try thinking of everything that happens in the game this way; any and every fault in the game could be in some way, shape, or form could be linked back to you. You may follow someone into a death trap but you should hopefully realize, you should have been more active in avoiding that by maybe pinging them back or putting more wards down. If you see something you don't like or trust, let your team know! Most of the time they will isten. If they continue to run off and die, then it is there fault. But now you know you made the best effort you could in order to make that not happen. By using this mentality and perspective you may begin to notice mistakes you made or more you could do to help your team pull of the "W" rather than calling everyone else a "noob" while you go 13-2-4. Show your presence in the entire game, not just with what involves you.

tl;dr : Put some thought into your play and use each game as PRACTICE to be better, not just another game to win or lose.
Disclaimer:
And for the record, I am not the best player. I may not even be good according to some. One thing I will say about myself is that I believe I am good enough to compete with anyone. This may or may not be true, but its what I chose to believe and what I use as motivation to make myself a better player. I hope this actually helped people a little. Following some of these ideas and mentalities will not auto win you games, but it could put the odds more in your favor. Add me in game if anyone wants to play, doesn't matter how good or bad you are. And I wrote this rather quickly so I may come back or to add more to this depending on the comments I get. Thanks guys and good luck!

ninjawerewulf

03-24-2013

Good read. I try to preach the exact things

GabeMiesta

03-24-2013

This was actually pretty good and full of info for newer players, good job

Usually AFK

03-25-2013

Thanks guys, when I get some time I will add some more to it
And let me know if there is anything else I could add or anyone disagrees with!

ashtray4joo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

As a person who plays jungle the vast majority of the time I applaud your synopsis. Last really bad game I had all three lanes failed, not one, not two but all three were failing and I can only babysit one lane. Good advice I rarely ever say anything negative to people and most cases I usually am the one telling people to calm down that everybody has a bad game every now and again.

Usually AFK

03-26-2013

I know that feel buddy, haha. We have all been there at one point and time :P

FlowyS

03-26-2013

good things, but I still think it is too long for the target audience (people who are likely to rage) to read.

Maybe put like the main idea is to act like people in professional sports. If professional athletes mess up, they aren't going to rage because raging will make a team lose.

Usually AFK

03-26-2013

Sounds like a good idea to me. Tomorrow I will see if I can shorten some things up to make it a quicker read but still get the point across!

korcho

03-26-2013

Pretty fundamental stuff here. Looks good.

Couple of comments though:

On the jungler thing: if a lane is getting ganked often by the enemy jungler, it is in fact your jungler's job to gank the lane. If they do not, they are making the lane 2v1 or 3v2 and not doing their job.

On the mistakes thing: I don't like your sports analogy because in, say, soccer, when you are down 3 goals, that doesn't actually make it easier for the other team to score. However, in League of Legends, when you give the other team kills it makes it easier for them to get more kills. But yes, I agree that giving up hope or blaming teammates does nothing productive and hurts the team.