@Ransom - ways to reconcile Trundle's old lore with new re-imagining.

1234511 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaddar

03-25-2013

(This thread should actually be named @Runaan, since she seems to be in charge of Trundle's relaunch)

I've seen a lot of... worrines about Trundle's new re-imagining into the Freljord, as his lore was (is) (according to THE Trundle players) one of the most creative and engaging ones.
EDIT: and just like we feared, it just got completely reworked.

well as a writer myself (with most work published in Spanish - my native language-) and as a Major in Product Design (and long time RPG storyteller).. I DO think the new Trundle shoudn't necessarily erase the old "cursed" background.

IMO the story should move foward, not taken back.

here are some ideas. (and excuse my poorly written english, my english editoress isn't at hand -she is in Dubai- >__<)

What do we know about old Trundle?
-He was born with superb regeneration.
-He took the curse of his tribe (he is alwyas in a state of decay)
-He ended up as an outcast because of it.
-He joined the League to search for a cure.
-He came to the conclussion his ungrateful Tribe did not deserve the cure (nor the disease)

(So far) the new Trundle.
-Lives in the Freljord
-Is (sort of) in league with the Ice Witch.
-Has a magic Ice club ("glowing with power")
-Doesn't look like he is rotting anymore.
-He is a King.

So, we have the elements for a sequential story.

what if.

As Trundle was outcast, he wandered alone in Runeterra, upon finally reaching the Freljord, he realized the cold prevents the rotting of his flesh, so he dwell'd far north, thinking cold might be the cure. He suffered the cold more and more until he reached a forsaken region cold enough for his curse not to manifest.
Problem is that, the cold was killing him.

Turned out the forsaken region was the Ice Witch domain, who found Trundle frozen-and-half-dead in the snow. The Ice Witch took pity upon Trundle, as she sees the suffering within him. Thus she gives him a club made from her magical ice, so, as long as he weilds the club, he is in a state of perpetual cold, cold enough to restrain his curse but not cold enough to make him freeze to death.

That's the reason Trundle is now grateful with the Ice Witch and is tied to the northern lands of the Freljord, if he leaves the place for too long, the club loses his powers (however he can leave just enough for when he is summoned to SR).. so now Trundle is basically DOUBLE CURSED (the kind of thing you'd expect when a witch helps you), he still has the decay curse and he can't leave the Freljord (and he has to endure the endless cold to keep the decay curse at bay.)

Thus, Trundle finds new energy now his uber-regeneration isn't mitigated by the decay curse (so he grows more muscular than before), and decides that, now that the Freljord is his new home, (whether he likes it or not), he can make a place for himself and the northern troll tribes (long shun by the Humans and the Ursine).. so he decides to unite the Northern trolls in order to make a place for themselves... as he is succeding, he now realizes the northern trolls actually respect him. (he has traveled the world, he has learnt and seen things the northern trolls can't even dream about -like basic technology and organization-) And that's something his old tribe never did, even after sacrificing for them.

All he ever wanted was some recognition, to fit somewhere.

Quote:
"For once, it felt like I wasn’t alone anymore. Thank you for that." - Trundle, on his League Judgment.
So now he is fighting with the conviction he can bring prosperity to the northern trolls (even if it means ruin for the other tribes/species, as the natural resources of the north are scarce) which pretty much adds on the state-of-war of the Freljord.

----------

Now we have a Trundle, still pretty much cursed, but with a new found respect, and he is actually grateful with the Ice Witch, not only for saving his life but for giving him the tools to find a new family.
(The Ice Witch motives could be actually good or bad, we don't know -maybe both, maybe she likes Trundle and the trolls well enough -as she understands Trundle via suffering- and uses them as a indirect way to lay waste and devastation to the human clans -that maybe brought suffering upon her?, or maybe she was good all along? - again, we don't know... ^_^ yet)

His Traditional skin actually shows what Trundle can become (again) if he loses his Ice Club. (which BTW could either be changed into "black ice" or just turn into "black ice" when his "Q" is activated to keep it in line with the "shards of black ice" mentioned by Quinn.)

----------
Questions, Answers and Addendums.
----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegathorion View Post
If Trundle can't leave Freljord, how does he get to the League to fight his fights?
Good question, the answer would be that:
He is summoned to Summoner's Rift, like all the other Champions.

He can't leave Freljord for too long, as his club slowly loses power over time (like an ice cube melting slowly), but it is still powerful enough for him to be able to battle in the fields of justice.

He gets back to Freljord, the club regains his power, if he doesn't get back, he loses the club as it will end up melting away.

Or, as True Ethos points out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Ethos View Post
As a lore point here, it is more than likely that within the Fields of Justice his club would be able to sustain him for awhile. The nexus itself is a conduit of powerful magic that can have varying effects. Xerath used the nexus' power to break from his prison. Gragas became as big as he is by drinking brew infused with magic by a nexus. Nocturne is bound to the physical world simply by a shard of a nexus.

So in this imagining of his lore what is to say this magic can't inadvertently sustain Trundle and the club so long as he is on the Field of Justice? It is the summoner whom brings him forth, but when not summoned onto the battle field he would remain in Freljord.
I coudn't have said it better ^__^

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviance View Post
Would need to "black ice" the club.
Well after some thinking, yep, the Ice club could be either changed to Black Ice (just recolor it) or it could turn Black ice while Q is activated (that would be my personal choice, as it goes from "just a magical ice club" to "an Ice club glowing with the magic of the Ice witch"), so, when Q is activated the club turns black, infused both with Trundle's own power and with the Ice Witch magic energy.

it is a way for Trundle to remind him that, when he uses his own power, he still has a debt (the nature of the debt can be left open, it could be either a life debt or just a debt of gratitude, -that depends on her-) with the Ice witch.

(of course this is assuming the black ice was cast by the Ice Witch and not someone else -see last post on this page-)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon of Toran View Post
Now I'm just going ask some hypothetical questions. If Riots copy/pastes your story, do you think they should try to incorporate any of his old kit into the new troll. He obviously will have the same basic abilities, but everything will have to become ice/cold related. For example new Trundle will not be able to bit people to steal their power (new trundle could accidentely swallow teemo whole). Should/Can they try to incorporate some of his old motif of filth and disease(e.g. a pillar of filthy ice) into the new guy?

Following that, how clean is your double cursed Trundle? Does the club completely cure him, or does he still have a smell of rotting flesh around him? Just musing out loud and curious to see your response.
Riot already said the Kit will remain largely the same, albeit with twists - most likely, (as far as we've been hinted) it's getting an ice motif, I tried to tie up the story according to that idea.

Well, the idea is the Club restrains the curse, instead of removing it.Trunde still has the curse, but it jsut doesn't manifest because of the cold. Think of how the meat doent spoil when put in the fridge, it doesn't smell, but if left for too long, it can get dark by frostbite.
As the cold prevents decompose, his regeneration can kick in and patch up his body again. (for the most part)
If Trundle loses the Club, he no longer has the "fridge effect", and his skin starts to decompose again.

-----

WE HAVE SPLASH ART!.
- Upon looking the Splash art, it DOES seem like a frozen Troll and his skin DOES seem like it's being preserved by cold. ^__^

Attachment 646686

-SSoTP

VacatedSumo

03-25-2013

Bump for old Trundle.
-SSoTP

Alia Mei

03-25-2013

bump for troll justice

Foddie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

I'm sort of sad the SSoTP is going to die. With the rework and him no longer being beautiful people are going to play him so I bid my farewells.

-Ex Member of a Not So SSoTP

Yaddar

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunse View Post
I'm sort of sad the SSoTP is going to die. With the rework and him no longer being beautiful people are going to play him so I bid my farewells.

-Ex Member of a Not So SSoTP

we could become the -HSoTP

Hipster Society of Trundle Players.

aweonao

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

old lore was awesome
new-classic skin is awesome
i don't like his new jaw

CynicalGiant

03-25-2013

I really like this idea honestly. Upvoted.

CapnSmith

03-25-2013

I wasnt aware that riot still participated in the lore... Did i miss something?

Yaddar

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalGiant View Post
I really like this idea honestly. Upvoted.

thanks! , I mean, as with Karma, the new Trundle should be taken as an opportunity to advance his story, rather than just retcon his whole background.

Yaddar

03-25-2013

Off topic, so I'm ot going to add it to the OP, but still getting it on 1st page.

-----

I've been looking around the Lore Forums and the speculation is amazing.
(Sylph's thread http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3262939)
and some others.

All the talk about Lissandra -The Ice Dervish-, the Ice Witch and the whole Freljord situation is mind blowing.

what if.
Mauvole, the previous Ice Dervish who "died of natural causes" is actually The Ice Witch??
what if.
Lissandra is actually evil and got rid of the previous Ice Dervish in order to take over the Frostguard?
what if.
The Ice witch was revived by the same necromancer on Trudle's old (current) lore?
what if.
The Ice witch is actually good but Lissandra gives her bad reputation as she knows her true identity (and somewhow gets rid of the witnesses blaming the Ice Witch)? - "They say no one has ever seen her face and lived" - Quinn
what if.
The Black Ice is a power given to the Ice Dervish? Thus both Lissandra and the Ice Witch are able to cast it?

Quote:
"It's clear the Ice Dervish has lapsed in judgment and succumbed to the manipulations of the Frost Archer. The 'united Freljord' the naive Lissandra speaks of is nothing more than a totalitarian state wherein she kneels at the right hand of the tyrant. So long as I draw in breath, the tribe of the Winter's Claw will never sully its name next to those of such conspirators." - Sejuani

is fantastic to think of all the posibilities.

1234511 ... 12