Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Aegis of the Legion is too powerful on ARAM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Beravin

03-26-2013

Quote:
SylianEUW:
\I think it limits the options in items, since instead of deciding between several different items, the answer will almost always be Aegis/Bulwark.

As opposed to what? Take out these two items and tanks / bruisers will only have Spirits Visage to fall back on for MR, which is not usually not enough anyway. In solving one "problem", you'd be creating a much greater one in the process.

SylianEUW

03-26-2013

Quote:
Beravin:
As opposed to what? Take out these two items and tanks / bruisers will only have Spirits Visage to fall back on for MR, which is not usually not enough anyway. In solving one "problem", you'd be creating a much greater one in the process.
Spirit Visage, Banshee's Veil, Abyssal Scepter, Mercury's Treads, MR/level glyphs, Quicksilver Sash, Wit's End, Athene's Unholy Grail. Twin Shadows or Hexdrinker might be decent on some. Also, if they feel the need, they could create a new MR items for tanks.

Beravin

03-26-2013

Most of those items are terrible for a tank / bruiser. A good portion of them are also situational (Who buys Quicksiler Sash for the MR?) or unpractical (Wit's End on Rammus - thats a good one). Aegis / Bulwark, on the other hand, will ALWAYS be a good purchase, and there is never a going to be a situation where it would not be effective / a good item to have.

SylianEUW

03-26-2013

Quote:
Beravin:
Aegis / Bulwark, on the other hand, will ALWAYS be a good purchase, and there is never a going to be a situation where it would not be effective / a good item to have.
That's part of the problem, though. It is an item that is basically almost always better than the alternatives in almost every situation. It would be more interesting to sometimes buy Banshee's, sometimes buy Spirit Visage, sometimes buy Abyssal (on, say, Amumu or Malphite), sometimes buy Athene's Unholy Grail (good on, say, Galio or Malphite) instead of always getting Aegis/Bulwark. As for, say, Rammus, you could easily get something like Banshee's, Merc's, Locket of the Iron Solari for a fairly strong overall tank-build. You also have choices such as Randuin's Omen, Shurelia's Reverie, Frozen Heart and Sunfire Cape, which are all situationally good.

Locket of the Iron Solari is a phenomenal item, by the way. It's not quite as strong as Aegis on ARAM, but it's really good. One different aspect is that it creates some gameplay. Cooldown Reduction lets you use your skills more often, and the shield requires at least some timing. I believe it to be one of the best all-round tank items in the game.

I think building a tank would be much more interesting without Aegis/Bulwark. Granted, I would probably get Locket of the Iron Solari almost every game as a tank, but at least that's just one item, instead of having Bulwark and then Locket every game. Unless I decide to go for a more offensive build, that is, such as tanky AP Amumu.

Also, take a look at this upcoming item: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Guardian%27s_Horn

Kalarepa

03-27-2013

Well, Aegis is really strong, the MR aura is very powerful. But if you look at lolking, 9/10 of top highest win ratio heroes are AP with 10th Yorick, who deals kinda mixed damage. I don't think, MR needs nerf on this map.

Imo, the only thing in Aegis that might be OP - is the recent change, making Aegis give 50% aura to minions. If you have bad pushing comp and enemies bought Aegis, you will have a lot of troubles just with clearing creeps.

SylianEUW

03-27-2013

I don't really trust Lolking much, since much people who play ARAM don't really try their hardest to win. Aura items are underrepresented, since I would imagine most people build what they think is best for them, not for the team. That being said, I suppose you do have a point. Aegis of the Legion and Runic Bulwark does help against AP teams quite a bit. Aegis of the Legion helps a lot again AD too, though, and the regen aura is hardly wasted in ARAM.

This could be solved by introducing some new anti-mage item. I don't object to having strong MR items, what I do object to is having one item give the whole team tankiness just by having one guy buy it. This is less of an issue on SR, Dominion and TT since the regen aura isn't as useful and 5-man sieges are rare/non-existent. On TT, they are common, and so are 5-man teamfights.

Theungry

03-27-2013

I'm still waiting for someone to address the fact that only one person on a team tends to run an Aegis, so there is strategy and diversity in choosing who on your team will buy one.

Rancor Rising

Recruiter

03-27-2013

The problem is when no one on your team ideally wants or needs to build aegis/bulwark personally. It is so powerful that not having one on the team is just shooting yourself in the foot.

That being said, it is one of the few ways to deal with AP poke with the current (terrible) MR itemization.

HaIfhearted

03-27-2013

Aegis and Bulwark are extremely powerful items, I'll give you that much.

Hell, they're so powerful that I sometimes end up getting Bulwark on even offensive mages like Xerath or Nidalee later in the game if my team is getting hammered by magic and we don't already have one.

Although with that said, I don't think that Aegis and Bulwark are so game-breakingly powerful that they warrant removal from the shop.

AlexDnD2

03-27-2013

You need runic for balance. APs are crazy strong already with their retarded poke.