Aegis of the Legion is too powerful on ARAM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SylianEUW

Senior Member

03-25-2013

Aegis of the Legion has a cost of 2150 gold and a value of 5760 gold. This make this item ridiculously gold effective. All the stats provided are really good for ARAM. Furthermore, it upgrades to Runic Bulwark, which is an item with a cost of 2950 for a value of 7092.

Now, you may argue that these items are only worth that much when the group is grouped, and that's true. This fact makes these items weaker on maps where a 5-man party is uncommon, such as Dominion or Summoner's Rift, or non-existent, such as Twisted Treeline. Even on those maps, however, is it common for one person per team to get an Aegis of the Legion or a Runic Bulwark, which shows just how good these items really are.

Have you ever played ARAM and got a team full of APs? If the enemy builds a single Bulwark, that's 155 MR in one item. To compare, Spirit Visage gives 50 MR, Banshee's Veil 45.

To sum up, Aegis of the Legion and Runic Bulwark offers so many stats for so little gold for a map such as ARAM, where 5v5 fights and poke wars are much more common than on all the other maps. Aura items in general tend to be stronger on ARAM, but Aegis of the Legion and Runic Bulwark are the most commonly strong aura items, and Bulwark punishes full AP teams too easily.

I suggest that Riot should disable these items on ARAM.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FDru

Senior Member

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylianEUW View Post
Have you ever played ARAM and got a team full of APs? If the enemy builds a single Bulwark, that's 130 MR in one item.
I don't know how you're getting 130 but assuming you're just adding up the total MR it gives to 5 people it's 155. The holder gets 55, everyone else gets 25.

Anyway, to use your logic, I built 25 spell pen and it countered 125 MR so it's k.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SylianEUW

Senior Member

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
I don't know how you're getting 130 but assuming you're just adding up the total MR it gives to 5 people it's 155. The holder gets 55, everyone else gets 25.

Anyway, to use your logic, I built 25 spell pen and it countered 125 MR so it's k.
Yes, you are correct, I didn't consider that the holder also gets the MR aura. Anyway, your analogy is flawed. If you build an item that gives 25 spell to everyone in your team, that would be similar, indeed. It is interesting to see how one Runic Bulwark counters five sorc boots. This is an issue with other aura items as well, but few are as efficient as Aegis or Runic Bulwark and most only help part of the team, such as Will of the Ancients mostly helping champions dealing spell damage, or Zeke's Herald mostly being good on physical offensive teams. Zeke's and WotA tend to be situational builds, while Runic Bulwark is the ideal tank item 95% of the time.

Runic Bulwark is an item that removes counter-play for the enemy team, while adding very little gameplay. It's power without gameplay.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zielmann

Senior Member

03-26-2013

Your loss if you don't feel like buying the things that counter it. Last Whisper and Void Staff are both cheaper than the bulwark itself.

Is it a good item in ARAM? Definitely. Is it a great item? Sure. I'd say that any smart team will always choose one member to carry it, except possibly in a few specific scenarios. But is it a problematic item? Nope.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Theungry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
Your loss if you don't feel like buying the things that counter it. Last Whisper and Void Staff are both cheaper than the bulwark itself.

Is it a good item in ARAM? Definitely. Is it a great item? Sure. I'd say that any smart team will always choose one member to carry it, except possibly in a few specific scenarios. But is it a problematic item? Nope.
This.

It's not really problematic or broken just because it's strong.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

innervation

Senior Member

03-26-2013

I'll defend the OP by saying this - aegis is dangerously close to being like boots were in early dota 1 and League. Imagine if all you could get was regular boots with no upgrades at all. What's the point of having them in the game if every single character is going to buy them and get the exact same stats from them? (Even though there isn't an aegis on each side in aram, there probably should be).

The point is if an item is so good that it becomes mandatory to have, it really shouldn't be in the game at all....unless...you add multiple unique upgrade paths to it. Just like dota eventually did with their boots, just like league has continued to do with boots. Specialization allows justification for everyone getting an item that fulfills the same basic role

I would like to see them do this with aegis. Instead of only having the option to go null magic ---> bulwark, let people combine it with a long sword, a cloth armor, or two rejuv beads, and get a slightly specialized bulwark type item.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kalarepa

Senior Member

03-26-2013

All aura items are very good in ARAM (including negative auras, like FrozenHeart or Abbysal).

On a side note, I find it funny, that people are voting to remove Warmog from ARAM, while this thread gets downoted. When Aegis/Bulwark is clearly better in ARAM than Warmog.
I don't think, any of these items is OP, but it's just funny.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kaleb bartlett

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-26-2013

i honestly can't understand how the OP can think that single item is over powered. O.o


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Theungry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervation View Post
I'll defend the OP by saying this - aegis is dangerously close to being like boots were in early dota 1 and League. Imagine if all you could get was regular boots with no upgrades at all. What's the point of having them in the game if every single character is going to buy them and get the exact same stats from them? (Even though there isn't an aegis on each side in aram, there probably should be).

The point is if an item is so good that it becomes mandatory to have, it really shouldn't be in the game at all....unless...you add multiple unique upgrade paths to it. Just like dota eventually did with their boots, just like league has continued to do with boots. Specialization allows justification for everyone getting an item that fulfills the same basic role

I would like to see them do this with aegis. Instead of only having the option to go null magic ---> bulwark, let people combine it with a long sword, a cloth armor, or two rejuv beads, and get a slightly specialized bulwark type item.
A) I agree that I would certainly like to see a different upgrade for the Aegis
B) I disagree with the boots example since only one person on a team usually gets an aegis, so there is plenty of differentiation in builds depending on your team comp.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SylianEUW

Senior Member

03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
Your loss if you don't feel like buying the things that counter it. Last Whisper and Void Staff are both cheaper than the bulwark itself.

Is it a good item in ARAM? Definitely. Is it a great item? Sure. I'd say that any smart team will always choose one member to carry it, except possibly in a few specific scenarios. But is it a problematic item? Nope.
It is problematic because it is superior to basically every other single item in the game. It becomes more or less a required buy. If no one buys it, the team will be weaker. I think it limits the options in items, since instead of deciding between several different items, the answer will almost always be Aegis/Bulwark.

Aegis/Bulwark is boring, but I still buy it quite a lot because it's the best item in the game for tanks. It is an item that gives a huge boost to the team for a rather low cost.

The fact that people buy this item on Twisted Treeline, a 3v3 map, should show you how good it really is. I just looked at ranked match history for some Challenger 1 3v3 teams, and yup, they get Bulwark fairly often. That's on Twisted Treeline, a 3v3 map.