Am I the only one who doesn't like this Trundle rework?

1234511 ... 27
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hexapus

03-25-2013

Not gameplay-wise! Trust me as much as I like Trundle I acknowledge he needs tweaking when compared to a lot of other champions.

No, I mean his aesthetics and his lore. He's going from a small, runty, diseased troll caught between life and death to... the Troll KING? I... what? That's SUCH a huge retcon that I can't even believe it. And don't even get me started on that "traditional" skin. (I'm going to get started anyway).

So, aesthetically, Trundle's traditional look goes from gross little runt that lopes like an animal to PROUD, BARREL-CHESTED SEXY TROLL? What?!

Look, when Riot said they were going to do a rework, I assumed it meant they were going to make his grossness more... apparent? Better quality? I dunno, anything but frickin' handsome.

And his lore... Morello claims Trundle's current lore "inhibited the number of stories we could tell with Trundle and, well, we want to tell stories about him". Then, I dunno... tell stories? Maybe elaborate on the land Trundle comes from? Perhaps introduce another character FROM that land? Another Troll, maybe THAT one can be big and barrel-chested to contrast with Trundle's genuine weakness and lack of ferocity? As a writer, I find Morello's excuse BEYOND half-assed and incredibly frustrating.

This post is the equivalent to farting in the wind, I realize that. I'm just frustrated that a well-written and genuinely interesting character would get SUCH a drastic overhaul. You could have told me Trundle was getting turned into a ranged carry and I would have liked that more than this, if it meant his look and story stayed the same. Like I said, I KNOW his kit was generic, but everything else about him made him worth playing. Now... I just don't know.

"Oh but now we can tell NEW stories about Trundle!" No. No, I'm sorry, but this isn't Trundle. You might as well change his name, too, because this is a completely different champion.

turkeyBACON

03-25-2013

Hehe, you sound like how I first (and still sort of do) feel about the Karma remake. Oh well here's to the "should've'" and "could've''s". I feel you.

As an aside, I personally was hoping they would have changed trundle's lore to explain the origin of Varus' blight. I mean they share a similar theme of being corrupted, it seemed only natural, It would make trundle's disease cool looking and they could cover up trundle's unappealing exposed muscle with the blight.

Edit: To be clear I don't think that should change Varus' lore just that the blight/corruption that was Varus was originally guarding came from Trundle. The blight had attacked Trundle's tribe and was siphoned from his people to him and then from him to be contained by Ionia. Being infected by all the blight made a permanent bond with Trundle though since it's keeping him alive.

Editted to correct grammar and add more explanation.

Sorgklaan

03-25-2013

Among shadows rides a beast
Like a black tree.
Grips tightly on a mighty hammer,
Out for weak Christian blood.

TROLL-HAMMER!
TROLL-HAMMER!

The Troll-Hammer sweeps again!
Cut down, brother again!
Hear the last shout -
The Troll-Hammer is here!

TROLL-HAMMER!

He is not a human
Not fragile and weak like you.
You will be powerless,
No eyes see your end.

TROLL-HAMMER!
TROLL-HAMMER!

Since the darkness overtook
It is afraid of the frost's cold fingers
That take hold and kill
Under the coming winter night.

TROLL-HAMMER!
TROLL-HAMMER!
TROLL-HAMMER!

XNinjaFuHiya

03-25-2013

I'm fine as long as they keep him slouching when hes running, and if his Traditional Trundle keeps ALL the original lines! I loved playing Trundle, I felt like an absolute beast!

type1Rush

03-25-2013

I also hate it..

They changed what made trundle trundle, just to appease the ignorant masses that wouldnt play him just because he might have been "ugly"..

Hexapus

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyBACON View Post
Hehe, you sound like how I first (and still sort of do) feel about the Karma remake. Oh well here's to the "should of'" and "could of''s". I feel you.

As an aside, I personally was hoping they would have changed trundle's lore to explain the origin of Varus' blight. I mean they share a similar theme of being corrupted, it seemed only natural, It would make trundle's disease cool looking and they could cover up trundle's unappealing exposed muscle with the blight.
Wow turkeyBACON. No, really. That is legitimately better than what Riot has done. They could have had an incredibly cool "unlikely duo" thing going. They're two champions that already exist, and they both help each other to their own ends. One's tall, dark and handsome, and the other is short, diseased and ugly. They could have gotten a "Buddy Cop" skin thing going! God. I just... HATE needlessly drastic overhauls in anything.

Celebratty

03-25-2013

I honestly was disappointing.
Trundle's lore was my favorite part of the lore, aside from the whole Jarblanc conspiracy. He had an interesting concept, and lore that really makes you feel for him and sympathize.. Now I understand the rework, but with Karma it was still Karma with the VU. Trundle doesn't seem Trundle-y.

Mandroo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2013

Trundle is in my top 10 favorite LoL characters, and is my jungler of choice. I've had a spot in my heart for him since his release. As much as I appreciate his well deserved attention, I do not care for his "re-imagining". I really liked his old lore and looks. I know he will be getting his traditional skin, but I grew attached to his hunched over, down-on-all-three movement style. As neat as his new looks are, it's not the same troll I fell in love with. Good night, sweet prince ):

Pwnker

03-25-2013

link to trundle rework?

ASYLUM101

03-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexapus View Post
Wow turkeyBACON. No, really. That is legitimately better than what Riot has done. They could have had an incredibly cool "unlikely duo" thing going. They're two champions that already exist, and they both help each other to their own ends. One's tall, dark and handsome, and the other is short, diseased and ugly. They could have gotten a "Buddy Cop" skin thing going! God. I just... HATE needlessly drastic overhauls in anything.
Sorry to tell you, the drastic overhaul was definitely needed.

1234511 ... 27