Journey Into The Freljord III: The Troll King

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yanicmb

Senior Member

03-27-2013

people are full of so much hate


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vongeo

Senior Member

03-27-2013

I miss trundle already.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thessalonike

Senior Member

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopyfrood View Post
I was merely referencing his lore to help define his physical appearance, which is the main issue I am trying to tackle.

Body shape determines body language and voice, and all together they account for a very large portion of a character's personality. Just by looking at his concept art you could tell that Trundle matched his backstory well, and when you saw him move and heard him speak, you could tell that Trundle matched his backstory perfectly.

I don't think going from that design to a big northern troll king is a rags to riches story, especially without lore support, which would probably feel shoehorned in anyway. The Troll King isn't Trundle finally getting his due, it's Trundle getting replaced.
Yes you are using lore to define his physical appearance, but you are focusing on his childhood. What about his appearance? Does he not look like a troll? Body shape defines body language? You are judging everything on a troll dance. Wasn't it said he will keep his troll walk?

You want him to be a runt, but he is in the league! Fighting the greatest warriors from his planet to the void and places beyond. You don't want rags to riches, ugly duckling or anything, you would rather believe a runt is going against Jax.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

woopyfrood

Senior Member

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviance View Post
Yes you are using lore to define his physical appearance, but you are focusing on his childhood. What about his appearance? Does he not look like a troll? Body shape defines body language? You are judging everything on a troll dance. Wasn't it said he will keep his troll walk?

You want him to be a runt, but he is in the league! Fighting the greatest warriors from his planet to the void and places beyond. You don't want rags to riches, ugly duckling or anything, you would rather believe a runt is going against Jax.
I think you are missing the point. Let's say they kept most of the Troll King's animations similar to that of Trundle's. The animations will have a different impact because it's an entirely different character doing them. Similarly, imagine if they attached Trundle's current voice to the Traditional Skin, and lowered it a bit so it would match the new body type. It still wouldn't be Trundle, it would be some other character with a Trundle themed skin.

And yes, I do like how a runt of his own kind goes toe to toe with the greatest warriors from around the world.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Holy Malevolence

Senior Member

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hit Monkey View Post
I'm trying to really grock this one... So...

This...

http://i.imgur.com/WU0aNuk.gif

A model created in the game's youth, with limitations in technology...

Is somehow better than this...

http://riot-web-static.s3.amazonaws....omic_thumb.jpg

A model created when the development team has matured, better skilled, better tech and all?



Am I on Bizzaro Planet?
The first one looks gangly, scrawny, and diseased. It has actual character.
The second looks like some bodybuilder got into a makeup kit. It's not convincing, and manages to completely lack the old character.

Yes the first is better. If for no other reason than they actually took a risk when making it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JevelFaithful

Senior Member

03-27-2013

Allow me to say, I'm sad that this is true.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thessalonike

Senior Member

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopyfrood View Post
I think you are missing the point. Let's say they kept most of the Troll King's animations similar to that of Trundle's. The animations will have a different impact because it's an entirely different character doing them. Similarly, imagine if they attached Trundle's current voice to the Traditional Skin, and lowered it a bit so it would match the new body type. It still wouldn't be Trundle, it would be some other character with a Trundle themed skin.

And yes, I do like how a runt of his own kind goes toe to toe with the greatest warriors from around the world.
It's only a different character if you don't let him grow. If you don't like possible upcoming lore that's fine, shoehorned or whatever you may find it. But if its Trundle then its Trundle.

A runt of his own kind? So all these greater trolls on this world are unstoppable? Heck if a runt can take on Jax, void masters, great inventors,aliens etc then Demacia, Noxus and all better be glad nothing has happened and put aside differences real quick. Trundle was the runt but held power none of the other trolls had. You seem to be making the story work for you while ignoring the rest of the universe.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviance View Post
It's only a different character if you don't let him grow. If you don't like possible upcoming lore that's fine, shoehorned or whatever you may find it. But if its Trundle then its Trundle.

A runt of his own kind? So all these greater trolls on this world are unstoppable? Heck if a runt can take on Jax, void masters, great inventors,aliens etc then Demacia, Noxus and all better be glad nothing has happened and put aside differences real quick. Trundle was the runt but held power none of the other trolls had. You seem to be making the story work for you while ignoring the rest of the universe.
Your arguments really have no cohesion. Let the character grow? Options have been given. Riot chose not to develop his slice of the world. It's why those smaller untouched regions outside of the typical human cities and Bandle City drew such talk. This is pretty much an easy route out while trying to adjust what they see as a cost liability in their game. Not even a year ago there was a big outcry at Morello for calling Trundle a mistake. It's why when the VU was announced devoted Trundle fans offered input and mentioned what skin they would buy. They did this as an easy way out.

You mention runt like it was a limiter. I suppose we should make yordles buff? How about Annie? Everything can have equal threat. Trundle had both components of a joke and serious character much like Mundo or Cho'Gath. He worked in League as is. We're complaining because this could be simply another troll. It's far too drastically gone.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thessalonike

Senior Member

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Malevolence View Post
The first one looks gangly, scrawny, and diseased. It has actual character.
The second looks like some bodybuilder got into a makeup kit. It's not convincing, and manages to completely lack the old character.

Yes the first is better. If for no other reason than they actually took a risk when making it.
The thing I don't care for on the new traditional skin is where the muscle is exposed the skin looks purposely removed with fine edges.. not cursed and falling off.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hit Monkey View Post
I think what a lot of people forget about Trundle being the runt of the litter and how he's such a nice guy is the fact that, in his Judgement, he was given the option of tossing the curse back to his tribe to give their regeneration back, but decided not to,



In this last bit, he cemented that he stopped trying to be their savior. He's not even trying to find a cure for the disease anymore. He's just wants to be accepted. Imagine how becoming the Troll King would have been the method to which he managed it?

But you know, downvote downvote, because Trundle is a beefcake now, and somehow that makes him generic.

I think I'm done trying to convince people that this is not a malicious act by Riot, targeted at everybody who loves Trundle.
Your leaving a part out right above it:

[Summoner] ""What they did to you did not cure them. It barely even prolongs the tribe's inevitable extinction."

Taking the curse and the regeneration means his tribe lives longer than they would with the curse and regeneration.


Its obvious from his kit that Trundle can use his power in battle, so perhaps, to him, being cursed but not fully alone is better than going back to his old station in the tribe were the curse given back to them.

You are correct in saying that Trundle has a great desire to be accepted, even if he has mostly given up on it.